GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My LED foglight upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-19, 09:16 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Here’s a stock vs LED comparison... those are the LED’s I linked from amazon.

and ive got to do something about that peeling paint on the bumper. Lol
Old 06-10-19, 10:48 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJason

Here’s a stock vs LED comparison... those are the LED’s I linked from amazon.

and ive got to do something about that peeling paint on the bumper. Lol
Looks nice) Yeah, I'm restoring my front bumper peeling as well. My wheels are peeling as well. I'm planning to sand the wheels and then plasti dip them into black rather than fully restoring my wheels and painting to silver stock. That should work, right?

Regarding the HIDs and LEDs, I'll have to decide how much money and time I want to spend then. HIDs are $240(https://www.xenondepot.com/2004-gx47...11-hid-kit.htm) the once with philips 43k that I think IanB2 has, compared to LEDs $70. The difference is huge. Will probably go with LEDs cause of the price mainly. They are better than stock and that will be an improvement anyways.

Thank you.

Last edited by Lextazy; 06-10-19 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-10-19, 11:11 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextazy
Looks nice) Yeah, I'm restoring my front bumper peeling as well. My wheels are peeling as well. I'm planning to sand the wheels and then plasti dip them into black rather than fully restoring my wheels and painting to silver stock. That should work, right?

Regarding the HIDs and LEDs, I'll have to decide how much money and time I want to spend then. HIDs are $240(https://www.xenondepot.com/2004-gx47...11-hid-kit.htm) the once with philips 43k that I think IanB2 has, compared to LEDs $70. The difference is huge. Will probably go with LEDs cause of the price mainly. They are better than stock and that will be an improvement anyways.

Thank you.
If you look on the "technical specs" tab on the link you posted, you can see the lumen output of each of the bulbs available with the XD kit, the difference isn't a lot compared to the non-Phillips bulbs, if you were looking to save some money I'd opt for the XD bulbs in your preferred Kelvin color temp (I'd still go 4300K). I don't remember the Phillips upgrade being that expensive when I bought mine, FWIW.

I like the HID kit so much I bought the same ones for the wife's 5th gen 4Runner, they really are a game changer when driving at night.
Old 06-10-19, 12:00 PM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IanB2
If you look on the "technical specs" tab on the link you posted, you can see the lumen output of each of the bulbs available with the XD kit, the difference isn't a lot compared to the non-Phillips bulbs, if you were looking to save some money I'd opt for the XD bulbs in your preferred Kelvin color temp (I'd still go 4300K). I don't remember the Phillips upgrade being that expensive when I bought mine, FWIW.

I like the HID kit so much I bought the same ones for the wife's 5th gen 4Runner, they really are a game changer when driving at night.
I see. Yeah, if I go with HIDs, then I'll definitely get 4300k no more, no less. How long have you had those for?
When you drive at night next time, would you be able to take a picture of the light and then post it here, please?
Thank you.
Old 06-10-19, 12:01 PM
Lextazy
Pole Position

HID’s have much further range than LED when it comes to aftermarket upgrades. But with that comes cost. I love my LED’s.... they make the vehicle look 10 years newer.. easy.

Id rather have HID to be honest though.. they are brighter. But I wasn’t willing to spend the time or money difference for the improvement... it doesn’t add up.
Maldonado, if you install your LED incorrectly(almost impossible)... you don’t take a chance of melting the headlamp housing and wires.
With that said... if your LED bulb doesn’t have a fan, you won’t be able to see well if your headlights ice over... the led doesn’t put out enough heat to De-ice the lens.

So so it’s all in personal preference, where you live, and how much you want to spend.
MrJason, next time when you drive at night, would you be able to take a picture of the light and then post it here, please?

Thank you.
Old 06-10-19, 07:21 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

The photos truly don’t do justice on the upgrade. I can see much further than stock. The halogen Silverstar ZXE bulbs are very impressive for halogen.. but they run $60 to $70 a pair(even on amazon/eBay). The thing I love about the LED bulbs is the fact that I can see a deer eye through a thicket of woods from way further than halogen.

There is another brand I’ll post shortly. I used them in my charger and used them as my high beams for a month. I didn’t care for the pattern as much. There’s also a 2 pair kit I bought for my 4Runner... it was $69 for all 4 bulbs and they work great. But the 4Runner has 9005/9006 bulbs. I’ll have to see if that company matches this models bulbs.

But youd our need to see these in real life to get the true effect. There’s things I can see right now that aren’t visible in the picture. But that’s how it works.

I bought my wife a 2017 Q3 prestige with factory HID and it is by far brighter... but it’s a cost versus result for me.
Old 06-10-19, 07:27 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Also... on the halogen “performance” bulb(lol). They run hotter than the stock halogen and will not last as long.
I also love the fact that LED bulbs in every spot(except the blinkers on the GX.. stupid relay) lower the overall load on the alternator... by a lot if you replace all of the bulbs.

I did every bulb, inside and out, on my GX. My favorites are the LED bulbs in the running boards. They look cool and you can actually see the whole running board. Lol
Old 06-10-19, 07:30 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Even the interior bulb looks great.... and bright!
Old 06-10-19, 07:34 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

I see. Yeah, if I go with HIDs, then I'll definitely get 4300k no more, no less. How long have you had those for?
When you drive at night next time, would you be able to take a picture of the light and then post it here, please?
Thank you.
I can, but it may be a week or so, my GX is at the bodyshop getting the deer hit repaired, should have it back later this week.
Old 06-11-19, 03:51 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

The photos truly don’t do justice on the upgrade. I can see much further than stock. The halogen Silverstar ZXE bulbs are very impressive for halogen.. but they run $60 to $70 a pair(even on amazon/eBay). The thing I love about the LED bulbs is the fact that I can see a deer eye through a thicket of woods from way further than halogen.

There is another brand I’ll post shortly. I used them in my charger and used them as my high beams for a month. I didn’t care for the pattern as much. There’s also a 2 pair kit I bought for my 4Runner... it was $69 for all 4 bulbs and they work great. But the 4Runner has 9005/9006 bulbs. I’ll have to see if that company matches this models bulbs.

But youd our need to see these in real life to get the true effect. There’s things I can see right now that aren’t visible in the picture. But that’s how it works.

I bought my wife a 2017 Q3 prestige with factory HID and it is by far brighter... but it’s a cost versus result for me.
Wow, that's really nice. Even on the picture I can see how much better it is over stock halogens.
I'm a bit afraid to replace my interior light on doors for example, the light is 'on' whenever the door is open and removing the bulb while it's on... I don't know. I should try it on a closed door may be...

Thank you MrJason. The light on the picture is really nice.
Thank you MrJason.
The following users liked this post:
MrJason (06-11-19)
Old 06-11-19, 03:53 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IanB2
I can, but it may be a week or so, my GX is at the bodyshop getting the deer hit repaired, should have it back later this week.
No problem, I'm not in a hurry. Worth waiting.
IanB2 (06-11-19)
Old 06-11-19, 04:47 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Wow, that's really nice. Even on the picture I can see how much better it is over stock halogens.
I'm a bit afraid to replace my interior light on doors for example, the light is 'on' whenever the door is open and removing the bulb while it's on... I don't know. I should try it on a closed door may be...

Thank you MrJason. The light on the picture is really nice.
Thank you MrJason.
Swapping them out is easy. Just order a 6- 10 pack of 194 led’s with chipsets for canbus(so they don’t flicker).. don’t change the bulbs while they are in.. not because of codes or issues, but because the little halogens get HOT...

lay on your back back and slide under each corner of the running board... they are a “1/4 turn socket”... there’s enough slack to pull it down and swap the bulb... make sure to open the door after you put each led in since they only work in one direction... so take it out and turn it a 180 degrees if it doesn’t work... then put it back in and turn it a 1/4 turn. You need 6 total, 4 for the running boards and one for each headlamp.

The interiors are a breeze... except the map lights(sunroof controls)... you will be surprised on how difficult those are. Lol
also.. the map lights are different bulbs than the center and rear dome lights.
and don’t buy sylvania.. they flicker. I’ll post a link to the ones I got from amazon... they work great(I went through 2 sets before getting the brand that the GX likes.
Lextazy (06-11-19)
Old 06-11-19, 04:52 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Here is the ones I used for the 2005 4Runner limited... but in the correct size for the GX. Way better prize... all 4 bulbs for $69.
Lextazy (06-11-19)
Old 06-11-19, 05:04 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Here are all the bulb options for interior and exterior small bulbs. The ones I referred too. Also the bright leds headlights I was referring too(they are way cheaper, but work really well).

These are for the done lights. Middle and rear done lights.

These are the strange sized map light bulbs(front dome in sunroof controls.

This is the cheaper headlights that are extremely bright!! And they fit well. I had an issue with one fan that got noisy and the company sent me a brand new set. Can’t beat the customer service.

These are the 168/194 style that fit the front parking light and running boards.
The following 3 users liked this post by MrJason:
JRT3 (12-20-19), Lextazy (06-11-19), Rygar470 (06-11-19)
Old 06-11-19, 08:10 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Swapping them out is easy. Just order a 6- 10 pack of 194 led’s with chipsets for canbus(so they don’t flicker).. don’t change the bulbs while they are in.. not because of codes or issues, but because the little halogens get HOT...

lay on your back back and slide under each corner of the running board... they are a “1/4 turn socket”... there’s enough slack to pull it down and swap the bulb... make sure to open the door after you put each led in since they only work in one direction... so take it out and turn it a 180 degrees if it doesn’t work... then put it back in and turn it a 1/4 turn. You need 6 total, 4 for the running boards and one for each headlamp.

The interiors are a breeze... except the map lights(sunroof controls)... you will be surprised on how difficult those are. Lol
also.. the map lights are different bulbs than the center and rear dome lights.
and don’t buy sylvania.. they flicker. I’ll post a link to the ones I got from amazon... they work great(I went through 2 sets before getting the brand that the GX likes.
Thank you MrJason. I really appreciate your help.

Quick Reply: My LED foglight upgrade