GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

200k, Install a Secondary Air Injection Bypass Kit as a preventive measure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-19, 10:56 AM
VonSchmill
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 200k, Install a Secondary Air Injection Bypass Kit as a preventive measure?

I just crossed over 201k miles on my 2005 GX470. I recently adopted the truck from my sister. She wasn't the best with preventive maintenance and had already been stranded due to a crank position sensor issue and a bad alternator.

I've recently decided to build the truck up and drive it from California to Texas, visiting all the southwest national parks on the way.

So far the truck is reliable, but I feel I'm on borrowed time with the Secondary Air Injection System. I've been driving it in super cold weather lately and haven't noticed any noises or issues. No CEL.

I was thinking of installing a Hewit-Tech kit as a preventive measure.

Thoughts?
Old 02-08-19, 03:01 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

There is a cheaper option available on ebay. It looks like the only difference is the connection to the starter relay. Maybe someone else can comment on what difference that makes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-4-7L...frcectupt=true

Last edited by captainva; 02-08-19 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Link
Old 02-08-19, 06:02 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

The Secondary Air Injection Pump system won't leave you stranded in case it goes out. It's just for emissions, basically pumps back in the exhaust gases that come out before the cats warm up and become effective. I drove mine a good 2-3 weeks before replacing it, and replacing it isn't even difficult, just a lot of parts to deal with. Here's our DIY guide we shot:

The following users liked this post:
Principal1 (08-24-19)
Old 02-09-19, 07:40 AM
frhill
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

After watching this video, now I know why my Lexus dealer charged me $2200 to repair my 2008. Mine went out at 215K. Really impressed with your mechanical skills -- I could never undertake a project like that. I was seriously thinking about trading in on a new GX460; but I love my GX470 and it drives so differently than a new GX460. I decided that it would be equivalent to 4 or 5 car payments -- and maybe I'm good for another 200K miles.
Old 02-10-19, 08:06 AM
supperfly1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Organized Garage Status
The Secondary Air Injection Pump system won't leave you stranded in case it goes out. It's just for emissions, basically pumps back in the exhaust gases that come out before the cats warm up and become effective. I drove mine a good 2-3 weeks before replacing it, and replacing it isn't even difficult, just a lot of parts to deal with. Here's our DIY guide we shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scNqAgg-N74&t=3s
What an awesome video man. Keep them coming.
Old 02-10-19, 10:09 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

I installed the Hewett kit. Piece of cake!
Old 02-12-19, 02:43 PM
JLee50
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
There is a cheaper option available on ebay. It looks like the only difference is the connection to the starter relay. Maybe someone else can comment on what difference that makes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-4-7L...frcectupt=true
Hewitt has an explanation on their site: https://hewitt-tech.com/store/index....ct_detail&p=12

The bypass module is activated when the ignition is first switched to "ON" and any time it detects a 4-12V signal on the starter relay wire. The starter relay option is only available on the Hewitt-Tech SAIS Bypass Modules! This option, when connected, ensures that the module actively prevents the SAIS from running on EVERY start. With the starter relay wire connected you can turn the ignition to "ON" for any period of time and the module will be active as soon as you crank the engine. Without the starter relay wire connection you would need to turn the ignition back "Off" and then crank the vehicle to ensure the module is active or the system could operate and cause trouble codes and the CEL to come back on. Just install the kit with the starter relay wire connection and don't worry about having to start the engine as soon as you turn the key on! If anyone else drives the vehicle this is a Must!
Old 02-22-19, 08:11 AM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok guys, need some of your opinions. Is there any benefit of spending $700+ dollars to replace the secondary Air Injection Pump system and spending several hours working on my truck or just getting the SAIS bypass kit?
Also will the bypass kit cause my car not to pass inspection in NY?
Old 02-22-19, 08:47 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by deeken
Ok guys, need some of your opinions. Is there any benefit of spending $700+ dollars to replace the secondary Air Injection Pump system and spending several hours working on my truck or just getting the SAIS bypass kit?
Also will the bypass kit cause my car not to pass inspection in NY?

The benefit is your GX will run as it just as it was design to run from the factory... however the SAIS does absolutely nothing in terms of performance.... it merely forces air into the catalytic converter to speed up the warming up process by helping the car burn the unburnt fuel. This is purely emissions related.

That being said if New York has visual inspection for SMOG than you might fail... however if NY does not than you might be okay..

The following users liked this post:
deeken (02-22-19)
Old 02-22-19, 11:34 AM
JLee50
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
The benefit is your GX will run as it just as it was design to run from the factory... however the SAIS does absolutely nothing in terms of performance.... it merely forces air into the catalytic converter to speed up the warming up process by helping the car burn the unburnt fuel. This is purely emissions related.

That being said if New York has visual inspection for SMOG than you might fail... however if NY does not than you might be okay..
I'd be shocked if they managed to fail that on visual - they'd have to pull engine covers and then identify what's OEM and what isn't.
Old 02-22-19, 12:12 PM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn

Thank you for your input. I really don't think they do a visual check in NY, however I could be wrong. So, Essentially there is no reason to spend the time and money to replace this pump if there is no performance gains?
Old 02-23-19, 10:26 AM
NTH
Instructor

Originally Posted by deeken
Thank you for your input. I really don't think they do a visual check in NY, however I could be wrong. So, Essentially there is no reason to spend the time and money to replace this pump if there is no performance gains?
This doesn’t affect your emissions when comes to testing. Even if they do visuals, they won’t know what’s what under the plastic covers anyway. $300 > $2000
Old 02-06-21, 03:41 PM
lebushaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None of this answers the basic question asked: should the bypass be done as a preventative measure?
Old 02-07-21, 06:16 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

NO

Deal with it when there is a problem and you may never have an issue with it. I drove around with my CEL on for years, kept resetting it with a code reader.

I just had mine replaced at my dealer. Lexus covered all but $1500. Not bad for being out of warranty and with over 200k.
Old 03-29-21, 09:29 AM
NTH
Instructor

Originally Posted by cssnms
NO

Deal with it when there is a problem and you may never have an issue with it. I drove around with my CEL on for years, kept resetting it with a code reader.

I just had mine replaced at my dealer. Lexus covered all but $1500. Not bad for being out of warranty and with over 200k.
How did you get Lexus to cover this work for you?