GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Did i install the wrong Bilstein 5100 shocks on my GX470?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 11:45 PM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Did i install the wrong Bilstein 5100 shocks on my GX470?

Few weeks ago i bought and installed a new set of rear shocks for my '05 GX470.

I bought the Bilstein 5100 - 33-187174 2" Lift Rear Shock for Toyota from Amazon.

This is the part number that was mentioned on the forums a few times and it is also the part number that is supposed to fit the FJ Cruiser and the 4 Runner.

Why am i having doubts now?

1. My GX470 is 100% stock. It is not lifted at all. It uses the original OEM air bags (they work well).
2. In the description, these shocks say that they are for a 2" lift. My car is NOT lifted.
3. During the install, i realized that i need to compress the Bilstein shocks fully to the max in order to barely fit them on my car. They were so compressed when i finally put them in, i was wondering how are they supposed to absorb any impacts from the road ?!?! Again... my car is not lifted - 100% stock.
4. The ride seemed fine when i first drove the car. Not too bouncy, not too harsh, not too soft. Felt well controlled. I drove the car yesterday and today and i noticed that the rear seems to bottom out more often when going over speed bumps. Maybe it is all in my head, but this seems to be a new development since i installed the bilstein 5100s. Did they get damaged? Or are they the wrong model/part# for my car?
5. Everyone was giving great positive reviews for the 5100s as far as ride quality and handling .... and i don't think my experience so far matches that. I wonder why?

I guess my main question is.... can i really install shocks that say "2 inch lift" on a non-lifted truck?

Thank you for any feedback!

Old 12-15-18, 05:58 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know my part number off the top of my head for the 5100s I got, however, yes, I would assume that these are incorrect based on the fact that they are likely longer that stock size. In addition, having to compress it almost fully to get them to install means to me that they must be bottoming out on bumps. You may not be hitting your actually bump stops but the 5100s could be hitting their internal bump stop. I'm sorry to say buddy but I think that is the case. I hope I am wrong.
Old 12-15-18, 09:16 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

You answered your own question. If they’re for 2” lifted truck, fitting them on non lifted truck will require full compression to install just as you experienced. This leaves you with no travel. New shocks are probably blown.
Old 12-16-18, 08:15 AM
danmm7
Driver

Does anyone know the correct Bilstein part # for stock, non-lifted GX 470?

Thanks!!
Old 12-16-18, 05:17 PM
danmm7
Driver

I confirmed with members on the ih8mud forum that i used the correct part number.

Having some lift with these shocks is helpful for sure. I have the option to do a slight lift using the height sensor adjustment, or make the bump stops a little shorted by cutting the top part from them.
Most likely, i will just remove the 5100s and install some KYBs and stick to stock height.
I just replaced the front strut-coil assemblies with some brand new KYB ready-strut assemblies and i really like the ride. Less body dive/squat and more forgiving ride over bumps and bad roads.
Given all the "issues" i am having with the Bilstein 5100s on the back and the fact that i need to raise the truck or mess with the bump stops in order to make them work on my truck.... i think it is not worth the hassle. KYB or 4Runner OEM shocks should be good enough.
Old 12-17-18, 09:39 AM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by danmm7
I confirmed with members on the ih8mud forum that i used the correct part number.

Having some lift with these shocks is helpful for sure. I have the option to do a slight lift using the height sensor adjustment, or make the bump stops a little shorted by cutting the top part from them.
Most likely, i will just remove the 5100s and install some KYBs and stick to stock height.
I just replaced the front strut-coil assemblies with some brand new KYB ready-strut assemblies and i really like the ride. Less body dive/squat and more forgiving ride over bumps and bad roads.
Given all the "issues" i am having with the Bilstein 5100s on the back and the fact that i need to raise the truck or mess with the bump stops in order to make them work on my truck.... i think it is not worth the hassle. KYB or 4Runner OEM shocks should be good enough.
I just checked and those are the same 5100's I used on my stock 04 GX. When installing them, I didn't notice any problems fitting them in such as having to compress them fully. The truck was up on stands and I had to use a smaller jack to lift the rear axle up to fit the lower shock bolt. 33 -187174
Old 12-27-18, 11:17 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I have those same 5100's as well. Are you sure your air bags don't have a small leak or some other air system issue? I noticed a few weeks after installing the 5100's,I started getting a lot of bottoming out and bounce. Although I did not hear the dreaded 'hiss' of a leaking air bag I was experiencing random drooping of the rear at times and rough ride and then it would be fine for another 15-20 minutes. It looks like my air bags are the issue now and I am swapping to a coil system to eliminate the expensive air system that I don't need for regular street driving without towing or carrying a full load of people 99% of the time.

Last edited by Davenlei; 12-30-18 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-30-18, 04:58 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Coil conversion is done and all is good now. Smooth ride and even height rear end.

Now I just have to replace my fronts with the 5100 struts and then I will be done. I have the struts and tools, just need a couple hours to do it.

The rear bag conversion to coils was pretty easy. Takes about 1.5 hours max if you have the right tools. Buying a $7 quick disconnect tool on amazon was a life saver. That airline would have been a nightmare to disconnect without it.

Last edited by Davenlei; 12-31-18 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-31-18, 06:22 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Davenlei
Coil conversion is done and all is good now. Smooth ride and even height rear end.

Now ow I just have to replace my fronts with the 5100 struts and then I will be done. I have the struts and tools, just need a couple hours to do it.

the rear bag conversion to coils was pretty easy. Takes about 1.5 hours max if you have the right tools. Buying a $7 quick disconnect tool on amazon was a life saver. That airline would have been a nightmare to disconnect without it.
do you have a link for the $7 quick disconnect tool? I was thinking of cutting the lines but would rather do it correctly. Thanks
Old 12-31-18, 08:42 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by GreggyG
do you have a link for the $7 quick disconnect tool? I was thinking of cutting the lines but would rather do it correctly. Thanks
Sure thing. The Amazon link is below. The one you will use is the smallest one at the top of the pic. Put a little WD40 or some lubricant on the prongs so they slide in much easier. Remember there is a white plastic piece at the end of the airline that you squeeze and pull out of the air bag inlet. That is just the connector. Once you have pulled that one back and out of the way on the line, you put this quick disconnect tool with the prongs toward the airbag connector, squeeze the tool and push/shimmy it in and then once pushed in, grab the airline and pull. It should slide out with minimal effort. If it wont budge with a lot of force then the tool is either not far enough in or did not lodge in the right spot. Just try again. Once you get it in, you will know it.

Air line disconnect tool:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015D8QEGC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015D8QEGC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also if anyone is interested, below is the coil conversion kit I used. Ride is not harsh and ride height is settling to be at or close to stock height.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D4U9DBO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D4U9DBO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Davenlei; 12-31-18 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-03-19, 03:49 AM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow there is a lot of wrong information on here. Let me clear some things up for you. 1. The shocks the OP put on his vehicle are perfectly fine for a stock height GX. 2. KYB will not be a better replacement. They will both give basically a stock ride. I've owned a GX470 and 4runner for years and have spent countless hours tinkering with the suspensions. I rode the GX with airbags and 5100s for 60000 with good results.
The following 2 users liked this post by Morphyne:
BeEvil (01-03-19), iBert78 (01-25-19)
Old 01-03-19, 05:30 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Sure thing. The Amazon link is below. The one you will use is the smallest one at the top of the pic. Put a little WD40 or some lubricant on the prongs so they slide in much easier. Remember there is a white plastic piece at the end of the airline that you squeeze and pull out of the air bag inlet. That is just the connector. Once you have pulled that one back and out of the way on the line, you put this quick disconnect tool with the prongs toward the airbag connector, squeeze the tool and push/shimmy it in and then once pushed in, grab the airline and pull. It should slide out with minimal effort. If it wont budge with a lot of force then the tool is either not far enough in or did not lodge in the right spot. Just try again. Once you get it in, you will know it.

Air line disconnect tool:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015D8QEGC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also if anyone is interested, below is the coil conversion kit I used. Ride is not harsh and ride height is settling to be at or close to stock height.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D4U9DBO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wow, thank you!!!! quick question, can you measure the height for me from the center of the wheel to the fender? Thank you so much.
Old 01-03-19, 10:22 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by GreggyG
Wow, thank you!!!! quick question, can you measure the height for me from the center of the wheel to the fender? Thank you so much.
Sure. It is a little over 21" (approx 21 1/8") from center of rim to the lip of the fender.
The following users liked this post:
GreggyG (01-03-19)
Old 01-03-19, 10:39 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Since everyone likes pics, here is a pic of the springs and 5100's installed.

Old 01-06-19, 08:15 AM
8adrian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since everyone likes pics, here is a pic of the springs and 5100's installed.

this is is my first post, I got an almost new shocks from a 2017 4runner, can I use them with the air bag with out the spring conversion?

Quick Reply: Did i install the wrong Bilstein 5100 shocks on my GX470?