GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-19, 07:29 PM
maimou
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJason
Just cut and ground the blue wire going to the TPMS module... it’ll turn the light off.

Being in the business this long... even after all 5 sensors get replaced, odds are you’ll end up with a malfunction. Older TPMS systems can end up costing thousands to repair.... and it always seems to start with one bad sensor. Lol
Well since my light is not on, I'm not cutting any wires. The tp sensor was only $50 Canadian at the Toyota/Lexus dealership, so it was a cheap fix.
Old 04-17-19, 05:35 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by maimou
Well since my light is not on, I'm not cutting any wires. The tp sensor was only $50 Canadian at the Toyota/Lexus dealership, so it was a cheap fix.
thats good news.

Did that hat include the price of the part, install, and programming the sensor?

and why are you replacing the sensor if your light isn’t on?
Old 04-17-19, 05:42 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

My TPMS light was flashing... I needed 3 sensors. I just decided my 05 GX with 150k..

so I went with the “who needs TPMS” method. Lol
Old 04-17-19, 05:43 AM
maimou
Driver

thats good news.

Did that hat include the price of the part, install, and programming the sensor?

and why are you replacing the sensor if your light isn’t on?
$50 was the price of the sensor from the dealership. I was replacing it because I now have a set of wheels for summer and winter. The guy putting my tires on the wheels checked the sensors before installing the tires and one was dead. So I got a new sensor. There was no cost for reprogramming because as I said in my last post the light did not come on after I installed the wheels.
The cost for installation is a moot point because I was getting tires installed anyway.
Old 04-17-19, 08:52 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

$50 was the price of the sensor from the dealership. I was replacing it because I now have a set of wheels for summer and winter. The guy putting my tires on the wheels checked the sensors before installing the tires and one was dead. So I got a new sensor. There was no cost for reprogramming because as I said in my last post the light did not come on after I installed the wheels.
The cost for installation is a moot point because I was getting tires installed anyway.
Ok... any new sensor must be programmed to your system. Every TPMS sensor has its own ID#... so yes... regardless of your light not being on... the new sensor would still need to be programmed to prevent your TPMS from looking around for the old sensor ID#.

So when you say your light wasn’t on, yet the guy noticed you had a dead battery... you are referring to your 2nd s tire set?

So the tire guy must have programmed it for you at no cost.... if so, that is a great business that would do a sensor program(of the new senor to the module) at no additional fee.
Old 04-17-19, 05:56 PM
maimou
Driver

Ok... any new sensor must be programmed to your system. Every TPMS sensor has its own ID#... so yes... regardless of your light not being on... the new sensor would still need to be programmed to prevent your TPMS from looking around for the old sensor ID#.

So when you say your light wasn’t on, yet the guy noticed you had a dead battery... you are referring to your 2nd s tire set?

So the tire guy must have programmed it for you at no cost.... if so, that is a great business that would do a sensor program(of the new senor to the module) at no additional fee.
That is what I thought too ! I knew this from past dealing with TP sensors, and the difficult time a garage I took it to years ago had getting the sensors to program properly. The guy i took it to this time only had a reader to see if the sensor was emitting a frequency (to see if it was alive or dead). He did not have my GX there, I dropped off the 4 tires and wheels. I brought them home and put them on.......and no light !! And yes it does light up during the check sequence during start up so I know the light works.
I can't explain why it did not need to be programmed as you mentioned but it didn't.
The following users liked this post:
MrJason (04-18-19)
Old 04-18-19, 06:02 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

That is what I thought too ! I knew this from past dealing with TP sensors, and the difficult time a garage I took it to years ago had getting the sensors to program properly. The guy i took it to this time only had a reader to see if the sensor was emitting a frequency (to see if it was alive or dead). He did not have my GX there, I dropped off the 4 tires and wheels. I brought them home and put them on.......and no light !! And yes it does light up during the check sequence during start up so I know the light works.
I can't explain why it did not need to be programmed as you mentioned but it didn't.

that is strange... but whatever works out as cheaper for you is a plus...

Id like to have my TPMS system back... just don’t want to spend the cash on all new sensors. It’s not that I can’t tell when a tire is very low or flat.... but just being low 5lbs on one or two tires can cause gas mileage drops. That amount of pressure isn’t noticeable on your average drive though.

Im glad it all worked out.