GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Used GX470 timing belt unk

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-18, 06:49 AM
BobDigital
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used GX470 timing belt unk

Hey guys. I’m considering purchasing a 06 GX470 with around 140k on it. It’s a one owner truck with no accidents and it’s in good shape. The only issues is I do not know if the timing belt has been replaced. There is no sticker in the engine bay to indicate that it was done. The CARFAX does not verify if the timing belt was done either. The seller is offering a very good price and the truck is very clean.

Is is there any way to verify is the belt had been done or should I not take this risk?
Old 05-29-18, 07:36 AM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Its a gamble and not one I would recommend. Try taking the price down some to compensate for the timing belt service. I have seen multiple trucks go well beyond 100k but they usually get changed about 150k.
Old 05-29-18, 07:44 AM
BobDigital
Driver School Candidate

Yeah. He has it at a good price already. I looked at it over the weekend. This morning I told him my concern about the timing belt and he replied that their mechanics pulled the cover and looked at it and it looked like it was done.
I then told me to make him an offer on the truck.

It looks perfect. Aside from the timing belt is the a/c seemed like it could use a charge. It was cool but not cold.
Old 05-29-18, 09:43 AM
jimzilla
Driver School Candidate

Ahh, the A/C needing "a charge". do a little research on this. i'll give you the cliff notes, but basically the A/C system is sealed. If it needs "a charge" then it is leaking. plain and simple. A charge is something you do after the A/C leak is repaired. If it's a small leak you can get away with "a charge", but it will need to be dealt with eventually, the sooner the better. Keep in mind there are 2 A/C compressors on this vehicle. make sure u sit in the back and use the rear A/C unit and that it is functioning as well.
Old 05-29-18, 09:44 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I recently did the timing belt service myself, and in my experience the belt looked really good at 120k miles. The problem was the pulleys. They rolled a little too loose compared to the new ones. I also replaced everything including the tensioner, water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt and tensioner. I decided to replace the serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulley altogether since it required removing the alternator and power steering pump pulley to take the tensioner off and since I do all the maintenance myself, didn't want to go through it again as based on my research some start going bad at 150k miles.

As for the A/C, try replacing the cabin air filter first before recharge, I did that recently too, and it made a helluva difference.
Old 05-29-18, 10:51 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jimzilla
Ahh, the A/C needing "a charge". do a little research on this. i'll give you the cliff notes, but basically the A/C system is sealed. If it needs "a charge" then it is leaking. plain and simple. A charge is something you do after the A/C leak is repaired. If it's a small leak you can get away with "a charge", but it will need to be dealt with eventually, the sooner the better. Keep in mind there are 2 A/C compressors on this vehicle. make sure u sit in the back and use the rear A/C unit and that it is functioning as well.
I don't think there is a second stand alone compressor for the back unit I believe there is the condenser and I believe its linked to the front. I could be wrong but there is only one compressor on mine 2004 gx470
The following users liked this post:
wsswesty (06-07-18)
Old 05-29-18, 10:53 AM
BobDigital
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. He was asking $9300 and lowered it to $8900. And he sent me a message earlier asking me to make an offer. He has had it for some time and wants to get it off his lot I suppose.
the air was on in the front and back when I drove it. We switched it off in the back and it started to feel slightly better.
Old 05-29-18, 03:29 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

You can put the VIN into the Lexus Driver's site to see any maintenance records from a Lexus dealer

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/

But of course, it might have been done at a 3rd party shop.

You've already verified there is no sticker. And there's no maintenance receipts, I would guess. Which means it'll have to be done (don't take chances!). $1400 off is a good start, as you'll want to do the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, serpentine belt, and spark plugs.

For a 2006, I wouldn't be surprised if the A/C system needs service (it doesn't have to be much of a leak over 12 years to drop the refrigerant level). Get this done by a pro - don't try to add a can of freon from AutoZone. Modern systems are sensitive to the oil & amount of refrigerant. The front & rear run off the same compressor, but they have separate expansion valves.

The advice to replace the cabin air filter is a good one - lots of times people don't know they're there. It's easy to get to - drop the glove box off it's limit pegs and it's right there.

Chip H.
Old 05-30-18, 06:22 AM
BobDigital
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input.
im still on the fence with weather I want to but it.
I looked and rode perfect. And he is ready to make a deal so I might get it at a steal even if I have to drop @1400 for timing and serpintine belt and weather pump and plugs
🤔🤔🤔🤔
Old 05-30-18, 07:29 AM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If you could get it for under $8k I'd jump on it.
Old 05-30-18, 07:37 AM
BobDigital
Driver School Candidate

Lol
I offered $7500 and he replied 8k is the best he could do.
Old 05-30-18, 07:45 AM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I would stick with $7500. after you get the belt replaced and complete the 125K maintenance you're looking at close to $10K. Could be more depending any other preventative maintenance you might have to do.
Old 05-30-18, 11:34 AM
BobDigital
Driver School Candidate

Yeah. I’m holding to the $7500. I also saw a clean GS 430 for sale close by so now I’m getting distracted
Old 06-01-18, 01:03 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I traded my GS430 for the GX. I do miss the GX430.
Old 06-01-18, 01:13 PM
BobDigital
Driver School Candidate

Yeah.
Im actually going to see it this evening.
I’ll update

Quick Reply: Used GX470 timing belt unk