GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

How to Repair/Replace Your AC Blower in Lexus GX, Toyota, more, Saving hundreds

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 04:25 PM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb How to Repair/Replace Your AC Blower in Lexus GX, Toyota, more, Saving hundreds

I finally got around to making this video below that shows you how to replace your AC blower motor yourself when it fails, this is our 2004 Lexus GX470 SUV, similar to a Toyota 4Runner SUV, that I did this repair on, but it should work for most vehicles, as the concept of the AC blower is pretty much the same among most cars.

Here are the symptoms of the problem:
Is your car AC not working or is your AC not blowing at all? Maybe the blower is making a grinding noise but it is not really blowing any air?

Then you need to repair the AC blower motor fan wheel, which is a likely culprit. This will save you hundreds of dollars in repairs at the service shop or car dealer, since you can perform this easy fix yourself. When your AC blower motor fan wheel breaks, which usually results in a loud bouncing grinding noise, because the cheap plastic motor fan wheel has separated from its hub and the spindle is just spinning in place, causing the plastic wheel to just bounce around inside of its housing.

The repair is simple, usually involves just removing the underside dash kick panel from the passenger side, exposing the blower motor assembly and black housing. Then typically 3 of the 5/32 hex head/T25 Torx head screws hold the motor into place. It's a unique bolt than be unscrewed either with a hex driver or a Torx driver, which I thought wa s cool, although I had both tools. Just undo those 3 bolts and screw in the new blower and reconnect the power cable to it and you are good to go!

The following 5 users liked this post by JeffO:
buddy05 (02-22-21), deeken (05-17-18), donj51 (01-02-20), Fb45 (05-03-22), Kcwoodcp (06-12-22)
Old 05-17-18, 07:13 AM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for posting this and making the video. We can all benefit from this. Mine is starting to make a little noise and considering that the car is over 12 years old, the time for parts to fail is coming. Also which brand motor did you get and where did you purchase it from?

Last edited by deeken; 05-17-18 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-17-18, 07:16 AM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

That's a coincidence, because our GX470 was just over 12 years old when this failure occurred and I shot the video.
Old 05-18-18, 05:48 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a 2004 as well so far it seems quiet. Would like to know the part number of the blower squirrel cage where did you buy it and what did it cost. Excellent write up
Old 05-18-18, 06:15 AM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

The blower motor is made by VDO and is called the VDO PM9188 Blower Motor

I bought it at Autozone near my house for $85.99 but it is available online as well, and like most auto parts web site the parts interface is the same, you go to their main page, enter your vehicle year and model, then start selecting downward from the left side menus and work your way down the list of parts like this:

Parts > Cooling > Heating And Climate Control > Air Conditioning > A/C Heater Blower Motor

Here it is for my 2004 Lexus GX470:
https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea.../874513_0_1526

Then you'll see it listed there. This part has a limited lifetime warranty, whereas others I have seen cheaper from other sites don't offer that.

Now, this morning I also saw a cheaper version of the same VDO motor on Amazon sold by Rock Bottom Auto for only $59.68, not sure why the price is almost $30 cheaper, it looks the same but the motor wheel is black instead of white, should not make much of a difference. But it does not specify what the warranty is.

Here is the link to it on Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Hope this helps you!
The following users liked this post:
Kcwoodcp (06-12-22)
Old 06-22-18, 09:10 AM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

JeffO, Did your blower have the balancing clips mentioned in the video and did your fan run smooth without vibration and noise issues? :Thanks,

Last edited by aljodoro; 06-22-18 at 09:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-22-18, 09:15 AM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the new blower you see in the video is the one I installed in our GX470, and it had the balancing clips and sounded nice and quiet and smooth after I installed it.
Old 06-26-18, 12:06 PM
twa2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Write-up...

I had my GX at the dealership last week for an oil change and asked them about the grinding noise
I'm hearing in the first 20 seconds after engine start.

They stated it was a servo motor (which it very much could be) yet I'm curious if it is this blower fan.

Thx - Tim
Old 07-06-18, 12:59 PM
wcsmith88
Driver School Candidate

First off...I agree thanks for the video, however my question is...is there a separate fan for the rear. I have a 2004 GX 470 and the rear AC has only worked a few times since I bought it about 10 yrs ago. It will magically come on often to my surprise. My first thought was a bad on/off switch...the rear AC panel will illuminate but the none of the controls will work nor does the power indicator come on. Didn't think it was a fuse because it has worked a few times. I haven't tried pulling the center console to get to the rear switch...any thoughts. I have pushed that switch on and off with no success...I keep it pushed in which is why it has sporadically come on a few times in the past...never with me trying to turn it on...again...thoughts? Front AC works perfectly...no blower issues or noises.
Old 07-06-18, 05:23 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

There is a separate fan and expansion unit behind the rear passenger cargo panel:

https://i.imgur.com/CzzKfcz.png

Chip H.
Old 07-06-18, 06:24 PM
wcsmith88
Driver School Candidate

Even if the fan/unit is bad....would I not still get a power indication on the rear AC switch? When the fan has ran in the past...it ran trouble free...no noise of any kind...I’ll certainly pull the panel and check it...but I can’t help but think this is a pre-fan/unit problem...power? Bad relay switch maybe?

Thx!!!
Old 07-07-18, 05:31 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Take the fuse out and check it for continuity. You can't always tell just by looking.

Chip H.
Old 07-10-18, 02:03 PM
wcsmith88
Driver School Candidate

I think I have narrowed this down to the rear AC switch...fuses and everything else are fine...I have a part arriving soon, now I just have to figure out how to do the replacement...if someone has some pictures or info on that it will certainly be appreciated...
Old 07-11-18, 01:56 PM
wcsmith88
Driver School Candidate

FIXED!! As suspected...it was the rear AC switch or console at the but of the center console.
Old 03-13-19, 10:14 AM
brm98
Driver School Candidate

I'm glad I found this post. I have an issue with no rear air at all. The switches seem to function (as in light up) but there is no air coming out of the vents. I'll try the fuse and go from there.

Quick Reply: How to Repair/Replace Your AC Blower in Lexus GX, Toyota, more, Saving hundreds