GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

NEW RR-Racing GX470 Brake Kit!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-18, 10:14 AM
Honoohala
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to this site but need info about my 2004 Lexus GX 470. I am told by the dealer I need new brake pads for my disc brakes and the cost for these are close to five hundred dollars. This is not including the instulation, which they say will bring it up to over a thousand. Can anyone tell me if this is about right as far as pricing goes for material and labor???
Old 06-26-18, 10:47 AM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, $1k dealer price??? I just replaced the front & rear brake pads and rotors on my 08 GX. The brake pads costs about $70 at AutoZone and it comes with a lifetime warranty, it's just an easy pay first and refunded later with the old pads since these were my second sets. The drilled and slotted rotors were both online at AM autoparts for $125. BrakeKleen spray, Brake fluid and Brake grease is around $5 when bought as a package, also from Autozone. About 4 hours of labor since I took my time and adjust the parking brake as well. Total cost is about $130.

If you are going to spend that much, I suggest you go with the upgraded brake calipers and rotors from the OP.

Last edited by malmon; 06-26-18 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added suggestion
Old 06-26-18, 07:53 PM
Honoohala
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your response, yes dealer price and I am not a mechanic and can find another automotive place for two hundred less. Guess I have no choice at this point but to pay being at least I will get Lexus parts and so forth..who knows. I tought the price was a little steep but when speaking with my son who has a Toyota Truck...he paid the same..Lots to learn along the way of Life, wish I was a mechanic like you. Appreciate your quick response..thank you!
Old 07-02-18, 01:23 PM
ZiaMan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Honoohala
Thank you for your response, yes dealer price and I am not a mechanic and can find another automotive place for two hundred less. Guess I have no choice at this point but to pay being at least I will get Lexus parts and so forth..who knows. I tought the price was a little steep but when speaking with my son who has a Toyota Truck...he paid the same..Lots to learn along the way of Life, wish I was a mechanic like you. Appreciate your quick response..thank you!
Waste of money to spend up on Lexus parts for a very common consumable item. You could get Centric Rotors and Akebono Pads - both of which are as good as factory - for about $250. It is the same as only buying wiper blades or bulbs at the dealer because they are Lexus.

Old 07-29-24, 04:40 PM
jboze
1st Gear

Just found this thread through a Google search and signed up for an account here after being a long time lurker. Any chance you guys would offer a discount on a full kit? Much appreciated!
Old 07-30-24, 07:55 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 1,412 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by jboze
Just found this thread through a Google search and signed up for an account here after being a long time lurker. Any chance you guys would offer a discount on a full kit? Much appreciated!
Hello, we don't typically discount these kits since they're somewhat underpriced for what they offer. We do have Club Lexus Coupon code that you can use which is CL25Off
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

The following users liked this post:
jboze (07-30-24)