GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

interested in speaking to Lexus GX 470 owners with rusted frames

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-18, 02:25 PM
McIntyre
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default interested in speaking to Lexus GX 470 owners with rusted frames

I am interested in speaking to LEXUS GX470 owners with rusted frames. I am attempting to find others in this situation to hopefully pursue a class action lawsuit much like the Toyota Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequoia.
The following 3 users liked this post by McIntyre:
amasek22 (09-29-22), DanO470 (12-28-20), Santana777 (09-13-20)
Old 04-21-18, 06:28 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Mine is a California (previous owner), Texas & Carolinas (me) car. Zero rust.

Chip H.
Old 04-21-18, 10:38 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

03 and 09, neither with rust....but then again my car wash always has an undercarriage sprayer, keeps the salt off in the winter
Old 04-23-18, 07:23 AM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My '03 has extensive rust. But we are in New England. It kind of comes with the territory.
Old 04-23-18, 07:42 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Mine is an '04 that's lived it's whole life in Manitoba, Canada. Salt on the roads is a given, undercarriage has surface rust all over, one of my gas tank straps was recently replaced as it rusted right through, but the frame seems fine.
Old 04-26-18, 06:59 PM
GXOutlaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 06' which spent the majority of it's life in New England. Rust is not too bad for a 12 year old car, but I wish it was better. I used Rust Bullet for my Porsche 912 restoration and that stuff is AMAZING! I highly recommend it. Just some simple sanding, sand/media blasting, or wire wheel the paint on. Make sure you want it, because it will not come off unless you take the metal with it. I will be using it on my GX chassis once I get the time to help protect it from the crazy northeast.
Old 04-28-18, 11:04 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The welds are far more likely to rust than the actual frame, but of course it all depends on your region and how the GX has been taken care of. Anecdote: My brother-in-law and myself both bought GM cars around the same time. His car went to the scrapyard due to frame rust while mine still looked like brand new underneath, shiny paint and 0 rust. Only difference was that I knew how to take care of a car.

My GX began life in New York then migrated to the Colorado Mountains where mag chloride is used extensively. No rust on frame, only a little rust on some of the welds.
Old 10-19-18, 10:37 AM
ALAN553
Racer

To revive an older thread. I was having the GX serviced at a Toyota dealer here in NJ. I walked around back and there were two piles of truck frames sitting out there, one pile all rusted frames another with brand new frames stacked on pallets....the rusted ones looked just like the underside of my truck. Live here in NJ... not a lot of salt, but truck gets washed more than regularly in the winter and undercarriage is also sprayed down at car wash. I have covered most of the welds with rustolieum and rubberized undercoating....rust just keeps on rearing its ugly head....
Old 01-15-19, 11:23 PM
Jonbod1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UNSAFE!!! Entire Rear Axle Housing Rusted Loose A tremendous amount of

Originally Posted by McIntyre
I am interested in speaking to LEXUS GX470 owners with rusted frames. I am attempting to find others in this situation to hopefully pursue a class action lawsuit much like the Toyota Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequoia.
I Unfortunately I purchased A 2008 Lexus Gx470 a few years ago with under 30,000 miles on it and I noticed some noise from underneath after the purchase. Discovered the heat shields fell off and were riding on top of the driveshaft, a tremendous amount of rust everywhere and one of the rear axle housing brackets look like it rusted through and was welded back in place.
Two years later I was driving from the airport and noticed a sound from underneath the car so I pulled over Only to see my driver side rear tire was sticking outside of the wheel well and my passenger side Was pulled all the way in. The noise was caused by the driveshaft rubbing against the side of the gas tank. I replaced the entire rear end myself... couldn’t afford to have the dealer do it. I also reported it to the NHTSA with NOREPLY.
Then I neutralized the rust and put some rust protection on all of the places I could reach at that time.

Now just a few weeks ago my air suspension pump failed. When I went to make the repair it was evident the rust had gotten much worse. The sensors were completely rusted and the air pump was extremely loose because portions of its Mounting brackets were completely rusted off.

It’s a total nightmare and I recommend that nobody purchases a used Lexus GX 470... Plus I am almost afraid of driving it because it’s going to fall apart somewhere else. It’s amazing there is not a recall on this vehicle! Actually there should be a voluntary recall from Toyota Lexus on this issue... it’s probably worse than the recall on the truck frames a while back.
If anybody else out there wants to start a class action lawsuit please contact me because this is total BS. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post my email address on this forum so I’m suggesting you go to my company’s website to contact me. Allyfinishing.com
Shame shame shame on Toyota/Lexus
best regards,
Jon B.

Last edited by Jonbod1; 01-15-19 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 11:49 PM
mapdv
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonbod1
It’s a total nightmare and I recommend that nobody purchases a used Lexus GX 470...
Maybe you just need to check the car more carefully before buying? Can't understand people who buy "mileage".
The following 2 users liked this post by mapdv:
BT3100 (12-23-20), MrTorgue (08-19-20)
Old 01-16-19, 03:50 AM
Jonbod1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Dealer Rigg Car-Fax? Perfect Car-Fax Report... dealer serviced / 5000 miles

A
Originally Posted by mapdv
Maybe you just need to check the car more carefully before buying? Can't understand people who buy "mileage".
Let’s see… why did I purchase this low mileage SUV?
1. I guess I should have not trusted the CarFax report?
2.) So you would purchase a vehicle that requires $1,300+ service soon after you purchase it?

Most used vehicles for sale when I was shopping we’re just shy of the timing belt replacement interval. Have you priced that lately? Service also recommends replacing the water pump.

The vehicle had a perfect Carfax report showing it was serviced every 5000 miles at a Lexus dealer.

A low mileage vehicle with an absolute perfect Carfax report showing serviced like clockwork at a Lexus dealership. And absolutely no reference to the patch welding on the axle housing mounts and fallen heat shields.

How could a Lexus dealer’s Service Shop not see multiple heat shields hanging loose from missing fasteners, large chunks of rust hanging loosely from the frame, a failed rear axle bracket... plus more... and not report it?
Has anybody ever heard of a Carfax report being doctored? Because this was extremely suspect after finding these problems.

Last edited by Jonbod1; 01-16-19 at 03:53 AM.
Old 01-16-19, 04:41 AM
Arailt
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A

2.) So you would purchase a vehicle that requires $1,300+ service soon after you purchase it?

Most used vehicles for sale when I was shopping we’re just shy of the timing belt replacement interval. Have you priced that lately? Service also recommends replacing the water pump.

The vehicle had a perfect Carfax report showing it was serviced every 5000 miles at a Lexus dealer.

A low mileage vehicle with an absolute perfect Carfax report showing serviced like clockwork at a Lexus dealership. And absolutely no reference to the patch welding on the axle housing mounts and fallen heat shields.

How could a Lexus dealer’s Service Shop not see multiple heat shields hanging loose from missing fasteners, large chunks of rust hanging loosely from the frame, a failed rear axle bracket... plus more... and not report it?
Has anybody ever heard of a Carfax report being doctored? Because this was extremely suspect after finding these problems.
Where are you located? Mine is a northeast GX and it’s got a decent amount of undercarriage rust (bought with 49k miles). Like others have said, comes with the territory. I’ve been slowly replacing rusted parts and applying rust converter. My rear upper control arm, height sensor, and entire exhaust needed replaced within the first year. My rear diff has seen better days too. I put rust converter on it last year and it seems fine though.

Carfax only reports what is reported to it, so it misses a LOT. Never rely on Carfax. Dealers aren’t going to report shoddy welds or rust or anything they didn’t do to Carfax. The PO may have been diligent about servicing the vehicle, but must have left it outside and never cleaned the undercarriage.

Not to add insult to injury, but at 10 years old, you should replace that timing belt anyway, regardless of mileage.
The following users liked this post:
MrTorgue (08-19-20)
Old 01-16-19, 05:50 AM
ALAN553
Racer

i have seen the pile of tundra frames behind a toyota dealership....they looked just like mine...bought my second one, an 09 with 30K on it six years after first owner...detailed and overly cared for....but the frame is still showing rust...i have put on about 8,000 a year since then...undercarriage gets flushed at car washes here in the winter....I suspect those tundra owners expect more life from their pickups and its easy to see the frame through those large wheel wellls...I suspect our frames are almost identical and have the same problems.....just that no one has spoken up..
Old 01-16-19, 08:34 AM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A

Sorry to hear about all of your rust-related issues. That really sucks. In my experience, the Carfax is interesting but shouldn't be used as a legitimate tool to make a buying decision. I know that they market it as such but it relies too heavily on self-reporting. And the reality is that they're not going to report anything that they didn't touch. (I think the rationale is is that if it's a 10 year old truck, owners or prospective owners are going to see and know what's happening underneath - caveat emptor and all). I don't know about reports being doctored. I'd guess that the shop simply didn't report any of the issues.

I bought a second GX with 103k miles last year from a dealer on the other coast. The Carfax told me that it spent most of its life in the Bay area so rust shouldn't be an issue. But I still paid to have an independent inspection done before I bought it. Having a trusted third party evaluate the vehicle made me feel a whole lot more comfortable buying it from 3,000 miles away.

One of the first questions that I ask before looking at a used vehicle of any type is what are the costly parts/systems that are likely to fail or will wear out around the 100k mark. Already owning a GX, I knew about the timing belt and water pump interval. I negotiated to have those installed for the cost of the parts as part of the sale. It was a win/win. The dealer got the sale and I got the peace of mind that I wouldn't have to worry about these particular components for another 90k miles.

I know, this totally doesn't help you in your situation. I'm not sure what recourse you have (maybe depends on the state?).
Old 01-16-19, 09:37 AM
Arailt
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
I suspect our frames are almost identical and have the same problems.....just that no one has spoken up..
Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequioa frames under recall were made by Dana. Poor quality materials and finishing was blamed.

Quick Reply: interested in speaking to Lexus GX 470 owners with rusted frames