GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Best Aftermarket Air Springs and Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-18, 12:14 PM
Eliris
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Best Aftermarket Air Springs and Shocks

I am new to this forum. I am probably buying a GX460 with adjustable suspension with 100+K miles and i know i will have to replace the air springs and adjustable shocks.
Can you please share your experience with aftermarket/remanufactured air springs form brands like suncore, Unity, dorman, eccpp, scitoo, cardone? How many miles/years have you gotten out of these?

I am just trying to decide whether i should spend the extra $100-150 each for the originals, or if the aftermarket should be ok.

Same for the shock absorbers. Front should be straightforward with a pair of KYB, but what about the adjustable rear shocks. Are there any aftermarket for these?

Finally, same for aftermarket air compressors.
Old 04-09-18, 12:02 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I haven't really seen any reliable sources for after market components for GX470s. I have seen used and a couple places offer rebuilt. I am going to be rebuilding my front and rear suspension soon. I am not having any issues as of yet but at 133k I'm sure new components would not hurt. I am going to go with original equipment. I am keeping it stock, I like the adjustable ride it's worth it to me not to convert like a lot of people do, just my opinion. OE lasts about 100k, is a good average guess, plus or minusn20k depending on the circumstances . There are Lexus dealer part suppliers that are cheaper than your dealer. However, you mentioned some parts that you would only change if necessary i.e. the compressor itself, if it's working leave it be, imo it doesn't take that much air to adjust the system. That is not a cheap part. I suggest stay with wearable items, items related to the components of the suspension. I am going to be replacing the front coils, after looking around and again 133k on mine my coils are pretty stiff Simi will be going with OE . Air bags you can find in any price range, my thoughts are if you are going to do it, do it right. After spending all that money on OE parts why stop now for a few bucks on bags that could or could not last. Even if they come with a warranty, the part might be covered what about the labor. If the company says they will pay for labor, you put a claim in, they pay a set amount of hours for the job, their own labor rate ect. Your mechanic is 100 bucks a hour, they pay 40 bucks. I've seen it happen over and over. Do your research , do exactly what you did, ask on here, make your decision.
Old 04-18-18, 04:19 PM
Eliris
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-20-18, 07:55 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-thoughts.html

Check this Thread for Air Springs.
Old 11-19-19, 09:01 PM
easyrider2
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My GX470 is now needing air springs at 137000. I have looked on line and there are several youtube videos for replacement and one of them uses A-1 aftermarket bags.

Dealer will cost about $1400 both bags (item #7 in your pic) Dealer says 3.5 hours. OEM lexus parts on line run about $300 each. A-1 Parts about $180 a pair.

The videos are very good and you should be able to do it for about an hour less if you are careful. It appears to me that the first gen GX470, 4 Runner, Tundra and Sequoia use about the same design for air suspension.

This is a Sequoia change out that is very detailed and has a list of steps for replacement. I modified the list slightly and that is what i am going to use.

This is a 2004 GX470 that used aftermarket parts.

Not sure if the GX460 is the same or not. Usually the part numbers change with the second generation cars. You should look to check. If nothing else this will provide a good overview of the Toyota/Lexus design.
Old 11-19-19, 09:24 PM
easyrider2
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Correction the aftermarket company was 1A Auto - Looked it up on line appears to be a family company on the east coast.

https://www.1aauto.com/
Old 11-20-19, 09:39 AM
Eliris
Driver School Candidate

I haven't heard about them. I'd call them and ask them where they are made and what brand of rubber they use. I personnally would stay away of asian made units, unless you can confirm they are made in Japan. I ended up buying a 2010 GX460 and replaced both rear bags with arnott's. They are made by them in the USA with continental (contitech) bags and have a lifetime warranty. they are pricier but in such labor intensive jobs, you want to make sure you don't have to do it again anytime soon.

And yes, that sequoia video is pretty much the best out there. I have searched extensively. just follow those steps and you'll be good.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Lextazy (11-21-19)
Old 11-25-19, 07:44 PM
Bovineplan
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Really wasnt much labor to it. Ill likely regret it but I used these. Worked fine, bit bouncy I think, hoping they will soften up with more miles on them. I doubt they will last like OE. If they dont Ill replace them with OE rather than try aftermarket again.
Old 01-11-20, 06:59 AM
Eliris
Driver School Candidate

For whatever it's worth I just did a trip around Texas towing a pretty heavy RV s(5300lbs - picture below.) The Arnott springs w bilstein rear shocks took it without a glitch. I raised it and I lowered it several times and it worked perfectly.