GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Bent Door check strap and bent window track

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-18, 08:41 AM
poseidon1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Door check strap and bent window track

We had some really gusty wind here a couple weeks ago and as I was getting out of my car the wind caught my drivers door and ripped it out of my hand and open hard. At the time I was annoyed and the door closed but then was hard to open again. Then I noticed my window wouldn't roll down more than half way.
I took the door apart yesterday and it looks like as a result the door check strap got bend outward at the tip and then during the door opening and closing caught on the window track and twisted it inward. This is my first time in the door and there is pretty limited access. Unfortunately, the window track appears to be welded in. On the plus side the window track is very thin material and I can flex it with my with just my hand.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any advice on how to straighten the window track back out in this tiny space?

Last edited by poseidon1; 03-26-18 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-27-18, 04:55 AM
jonesmw10
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would start with just replacing the door check. When I got my GX, mine was also bent and caused issues with the window going down (the window was hitting it). It also damaged my tint. Replacing the door check fixed all my issues.
Old 03-27-18, 01:51 PM
levinsoy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by poseidon1
We had some really gusty wind here a couple weeks ago and as I was getting out of my car the wind caught my drivers door and ripped it out of my hand and open hard. At the time I was annoyed and the door closed but then was hard to open again. Then I noticed my window wouldn't roll down more than half way.
I took the door apart yesterday and it looks like as a result the door check strap got bend outward at the tip and then during the door opening and closing caught on the window track and twisted it inward. This is my first time in the door and there is pretty limited access. Unfortunately, the window track appears to be welded in. On the plus side the window track is very thin material and I can flex it with my with just my hand.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any advice on how to straighten the window track back out in this tiny space?
I was going to post something here about this very same subject as we had pretty gusty winds here a few weeks back and my door opened excessively hard and since then I get a little cracking noise when I close it right before it latches and also hear something when window rolls down. I will have my backup camera replaced tomorrow at dealer and I will have them look at this also as I just want to make sure it's nothing serious. Thanks again for the heads up.
Old 04-10-18, 11:29 AM
levinsoy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by levinsoy
I was going to post something here about this very same subject as we had pretty gusty winds here a few weeks back and my door opened excessively hard and since then I get a little cracking noise when I close it right before it latches and also hear something when window rolls down. I will have my backup camera replaced tomorrow at dealer and I will have them look at this also as I just want to make sure it's nothing serious. Thanks again for the heads up.
Took it to my local body shop and the door check strap was bent causing the noise and thus in the way when window rolls down. $230 for parts and labor to replace the bent door check strap.
Old 04-10-18, 01:38 PM
idntcare
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I experienced the exact same issue. The driver’s door flew open on my wife and bent a few internal pieces and actually put a small dent in exterior. In the aftermath, the window wouldn’t roll down all the way, the door would not open completely and I could hear a slight whistling from wind noise when the door was shut and window up. If you looked closely at the latch you could see the strike plate was now sagging a tiny bit. I ended up just taking it to the dealer and paying the insurance deductible to get it fixed correctly. I think it was close to $1800.00 all done. Thankfully my deductible is much lower.....
Old 04-13-18, 04:24 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just DIY the door check, if the window track is bent you can bend it back but it will take trial & error to get teh window as smooth as it was before. Total cost $75ish for the doorcheck + your time.