GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rearview Camera Wiring to Video Screen

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 06:49 AM
jstarmark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearview Camera Wiring to Video Screen

I am attempting to wire my rearview camera in to a video screen I recently purchased for my GX 470. I have not been able to confirm which wire is the reverse direction indicator or video camera in line. I have the wiring diagram, but I need something that indicates what each colored wire goes to. thanks for any help you can provide. I have attached a pic of the connector and the screen. Thanks
Old 03-14-18, 11:24 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Unless someone has screen pics for you, you'll probably need to subscribe to Toyota's online service info. IIRC, they have daily, monthly, and yearly subscriptions available.

https://techinfo.toyota.com

Chip H.
Old 03-14-18, 11:38 AM
jstarmark
Driver School Candidate

Default Techinfo.toyota.com

Thanks for the response and information Chip. I signed up for repairsurge.com and they did not provide enough detail. I hope this works better. I am sure if I take it to the shop it will cost me at least $100.00. I will give it a try.
Old 03-14-18, 03:36 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

To my understanding, you will need to install a new harness from your camera to your head unit. Tapping into the reverse signal at the taillights or trailer harness.

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but you will not find what you’re looking for in the OEM harness.

I believe having that is an option on your Tesla style head unit.
Old 07-19-18, 07:52 AM
RyanBlace
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any luck on this? I'm installing the exact same unit.

Old 07-19-18, 02:24 PM
hnirvana
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I'm also interested in the tesla style head unit. Last time I checked GXOR facebook page there were still some bugs to be fixed for gx with nav. I'm specifically trying to buy gx without nav because of the difficulty to find after market head units. If they've worked out the bugs that widens my search by a lot.
Old 07-19-18, 02:30 PM
RyanBlace
Driver School Candidate

It might be as simple as taping into these two pins at the Camera ECU:

The problem is that it is too hot outside to think (104 right now).
Old 07-19-18, 08:43 PM
Kelevra
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I may be off on this a bit but here goes. I believe the Lexus GX backup camera is 6 volts, not 12 volts. I believe you need to change the rear camera or possibly add in a voltage reducer?
Old 07-20-18, 09:12 AM
RyanBlace
Driver School Candidate

Well, the factory backup camera works!

@Kelevra - You are right, the camera is powered by 6V. However, the 6V is supplied by the "Television Camera ECU" which I didn't remove.

If anyone wants to do this on a Mark Levinson w/ NAV, figure at least a 6 pack of beers. The "Television Camera ECU" is about as difficult to get to the connectors as possible. It is on the far right under the glove box behind like 2 or 3 other computers with a bunch of harnesses. I spent most of the time (as Eric O would say) giving it the classic reach-around.

Here's what you need to do.

1) We need video feed from the camera, so... Cut cut CV+ and CV- as highlighted in my above post in yellow and connect the wires (from the car/camera) to your RCA connector.
2) I wanted the camera to always be on so I can look at it while moving forward or backward (for the hitch) so I needed to cut T18-11 (Reverse signal input) and tie the ECU side to T18-3 (ACC signal input).

3) Finally, connect the "Reverse signal" wire you cut in step 2 and connect it to the "BACK" flying lead off the Android. That way, it goes into backup screen when you throw the GX into reverse.

Anyway, like I said, the worst part is getting to those harnesses. Soldering is simple compared to that.
The following users liked this post:
hnirvana (07-20-18)
Old 07-20-18, 04:12 PM
Kelevra
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am really interested in the Phoenix Radio. I just can't quite commit until the Phoenix unit is "more compatible".
Old 10-07-18, 06:34 AM
urzh
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI, this is for a Lexus ECU 2006 and prior I believe. The parking assist ECU for 2007-2009 GX is an even bigger B to get at and has more connections which are virtually impossible to touch with your hand unless you start taking apart the entire undercarriage. Highly recommend to NOT try it. Install the after market camera and just wire to front.

Guide is here: https://becomethesolution.com/tags/p...-android-radio

Last edited by urzh; 10-07-18 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-08-18, 01:55 PM
urzh
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Here is the GX470 2007-2009 television ECU location....PITA...

Here is the GX470 2007-2009 television ECU location....PITA...

https://becomethesolution.com/news/l...on-aftermarket
Old 10-09-18, 02:53 PM
GXIL
Driver School Candidate

Hello all, I have done this mod and the camera does come on, but quickly shuts off... maybe on for 10-15 seconds. Screen then goes black with “No signal!!!” message.

i have tried wiring for constant power as per post above as well as trying power on only on reverse.

Anyone know now why the camera would be shutting off?

2004 GX470 with Phoenix Android radio

Thanks!
Old 01-07-19, 06:52 AM
Matt19810
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RyanBlace
It might be as simple as taping into these two pins at the Camera ECU:

The problem is that it is too hot outside to think (104 right now).
I've been scrouring the internet trying to find these types of diagrams for my 18' Lexus NX 300. what site are you using to pull these diagrams with this much detailed information from??? I've downloaded all the info possible from TIS, but I haven't been able to find schematics like these anywhere....

Thanks

Matt
Old 01-07-19, 08:40 AM
RyanBlace
Driver School Candidate

I got it from TIS. Here's the top of the page if that somehow helps. I wish I could be more helpful on how to find stuff on that terrible site. I think I did a search for "television".

Quick Reply: Rearview Camera Wiring to Video Screen