GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Radiator Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-18, 04:41 PM
TDC1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Radiator Replacement?

I have a 2005 GX 470 with 62K miles. I recent post on this forum mentioned a common problem relating to the radiator - can anyone elaborate? I wasn't aware of radiators issues and haven't considered replacing unless needed. I don't see any rust on the radiator and have no reason to believe there are any rust issues. Is the radiator replaced for general preventative maintenance like the timing belt and water pump, or did I misunderstand the recent post?
Old 03-13-18, 09:13 PM
outrbnks
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radiator preventative replacement

Originally Posted by TDC1
I have a 2005 GX 470 with 62K miles. I recent post on this forum mentioned a common problem relating to the radiator - can anyone elaborate? I wasn't aware of radiators issues and haven't considered replacing unless needed. I don't see any rust on the radiator and have no reason to believe there are any rust issues. Is the radiator replaced for general preventative maintenance like the timing belt and water pump, or did I misunderstand the recent post?
Yes, if you have a factory radiator at some point you should replace it before it fails.

The failure is not what you think it may be, it's the possible breach of the transmission cooler which is internal to the radiator.
If the internal transmission cooler starts leaking inside the radiator, you will end up with engine coolant inside the transmission, and possibly damaging it.

You could do 1 or 2 things, (or 3 as doing nothing),
1- have an external transmission cooler installed, which eliminates the coolant in the tranny problem, or
2- have a new radiator installed, and continue to use the internal tranny cooler, knowing it will last many years before you need to worry again.

I just purchased a 2006 GX with 128K and a factiory radiator. first thing I did before I drove it anywhere was to have a new radiator installed.

No worries about the strawberry milkshake in the tranny, at the same time I had ALL fluids and filters in the GX changed, now I have a good base line to work from

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...mikeshake.html

here is a toyota link, same problem
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/269-4runner-3rd-generation-1996-2002/365634-strawberry-milkshake-syndrome.html

A new radiator is a lot cheaper than a tranny
The following 2 users liked this post by outrbnks:
TDC1 (03-14-18), texas008 (02-15-24)
Old 03-14-18, 06:38 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

The other thing that happens is the end-caps will loosen up as the result of age and start to leak. You can spot this by the presence of red-crystals (dried-out coolant) on the ends. For a 2005 it's getting to be about that time, so you should think about getting it replaced.

Chip H.
The following 2 users liked this post by chiph9:
TDC1 (03-14-18), texas008 (02-15-24)
Old 03-14-18, 10:48 AM
TDC1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. Is this something I can have done at an independent shop, or does it need to be at a Toyota dealership? I don't have a local Lexus dealership. If independent, I would be able to purchase the radiator myself. Any specific brand? A brilliant ClubLexus member turned me on to the great website, Rock Auto. There is a Denso radiator, which I think is the original manufacturer, or Nissens radiator which indicates OE and is much more expensive. I'm fine with paying more for products if it's for quality.
Old 03-14-18, 11:20 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Denso is good. Any competent service shop can replace it. While the engine isn't sensitive to the type of coolant (anything rated for aluminum blocks should be OK), you'll get best results from using the OEM Toyota long-life coolant.

Consider replacing the thermostat at the same time. Or not, if it was done when the timing belt was changed.

Chip H.
The following users liked this post:
TDC1 (03-14-18)
Old 03-14-18, 02:11 PM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined you can do the replacement yourself and save several hundred dollars.
TDC1 (03-14-18)
Old 11-07-18, 10:01 PM
deeken
Driver

For what it's worth, I just replaced my radiator earlier today and it took me about an hour and a half. Honestly it's fairly simple and straight forward. I could have probably done in about an hour if I didn't take my time. You just need a couple of long socket extensions to get the lower bolt and take off the upper radiator hose instead of going for the lower one.

The Stealership charged me $500 for a radiator that leak (and was not OEM), was replaced, and leaked again. It seems like the idiots at the service department over tightened and stripped the transmission cooler connections. I used some Teflon tape and tightened them slightly snug. If you have the time, do this job yourself.
texas008 (02-15-24)
Old 11-08-18, 04:39 AM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by deeken
For what it's worth, I just replaced my radiator earlier today and it took me about an hour and a half. Honestly it's fairly simple and straight forward. I could have probably done in about an hour if I didn't take my time. You just need a couple of long socket extensions to get the lower bolt and take off the upper radiator hose instead of going for the lower one.

The Stealership charged me $500 for a radiator that leak (and was not OEM), was replaced, and leaked again. It seems like the idiots at the service department over tightened and stripped the transmission cooler connections. I used some Teflon tape and tightened them slightly snug. If you have the time, do this job yourself.
Can you elaborate on what the dealership screwed up? I just replaced the radiator myself last week, and I simply removed the 2 transmission hoses from the radiator, nothing to tighten, just hose clamps.

Great at job getting it done in 1.5 hours. Took me more like 4. I’m obviously VERY slow when it comes to wrenching lol!
Old 11-08-18, 03:09 PM
deeken
Driver

Originally Posted by RPH74

Can you elaborate on what the dealership screwed up? I just replaced the radiator myself last week, and I simply removed the 2 transmission hoses from the radiator, nothing to tighten, just hose clamps.

Great at job getting it done in 1.5 hours. Took me more like 4. I’m obviously VERY slow when it comes to wrenching lol!
Those two connections where the transmission lines plug into are screw-on. They strip very easily if over tightened. They over tightened the lower one twice and both times it leaked transmission fluid.
Old 11-08-18, 11:25 PM
Rygar470
Lead Lap

Received 136 Likes on 117 Posts

Here's a great(Or so I think) video (s) on how to replace the Radiator on a GX470:

Part# 1

Part# 2

Part# 3
The following 2 users liked this post by Rygar470:
BeEvil (11-09-18), texas008 (02-15-24)
Old 11-09-18, 08:02 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Did my radiator replacement solo... ide say its a 4/10 banana job. Pretty easy and painless.
texas008 (02-15-24)
Old 11-09-18, 05:35 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deeken

Originally Posted by RPH74

Originally Posted by vwynn
Did my radiator replacement solo... ide say its a 4/10 banana job. Pretty easy and painless.
I am going to replace the radiator sometime this winter.Were you guys able to remove the clamps on radiator hoses with a large pliers? I read somewhere that you needed a special too to remove the clamps.Where are you getting the radiators and what brand are they? How much trans fluid do you think circulates within the radiator? What mileage do you have when replacing the radiator? I am just over 176,000.There is never coolant on the ground,but,it does leak.
Old 11-09-18, 09:49 PM
deeken
Driver

Originally Posted by Wronglane
I am going to replace the radiator sometime this winter.Were you guys able to remove the clamps on radiator hoses with a large pliers? I read somewhere that you needed a special too to remove the clamps.Where are you getting the radiators and what brand are they? How much trans fluid do you think circulates within the radiator? What mileage do you have when replacing the radiator? I am just over 176,000.There is never coolant on the ground,but,it does leak.
You don't need any special pliers to remove the radiator hose. Unclamp the upper radiator hoses. It's a lot easier than going for the lower ones. I got a TYC from Amazon.
Old 11-10-18, 09:16 AM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Wronglane
The special clamp isn’t an absolute necessity, but it sure does make it easier. The lower radiator hose clamp is difficult to get to. The videos I watched show removing the radiator with the lower hose still attached. I wasn’t able to remove it this way, as the fan shroud got in the way. I simply used my cool new tool to help remove the hose and got the radiator out easily after that. Had I pushed the issue, I probably could’ve removed the radiator with the lower hose on.

The tool is is great to have and is well worth $20.
texas008 (02-15-24)
Old 11-10-18, 09:26 AM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I replaced the radiator on the 08 last year. It took several hours but I took my time. This is the clamp I used
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F5JM0O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F5JM0O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quick Reply: Radiator Replacement?