GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Cold Air Intake Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-18, 02:52 PM
Spyker1982
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Air Intake Suggestions?

Hi all! I’m new to the forum. Apologies if I’m supposed to provide an intro before posting. I searched for an intro page and couldn’t find one. Some online forums require it before posting. If you have questions about who I am just ask.

Was wondering what some of the other GX470 owners are doing for an after market cold air intake. I’ve seen two brands so far: 1) KN 63-9022 2) Volant

Im hearing that the KN 63-9022 series fits but is advertised as not fitting—only for the 4 Runner. Any pics of owners using the KN? Any results of using either types?

Last question...is it worth the $300+ to get a reported 14 additional horsepower? Can you tell? Any differences on gas mileage?

Thanks!
Old 03-12-18, 07:05 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Given the weight of the GX, I doubt this is worth doing. However, if you do, make sure the splash panels are in place down in the wheel wells (they commonly crumble and fall off) to help avoid ingesting rainwater.

Chip H.
Old 03-13-18, 06:40 PM
Arailt
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The stock air intake is technically a cold-air intake since it draws cold air from the passenger side wheel well. The Volant will draw from the same hole and it looks like the K&N actually draws warm air from the engine bay. Neither will give you anything other than a louder sound when you hit the skinny pedal and both "high flow" filters will let more dirt into the engine.

Unless you have to have the "woooosh" of the engine sucking in air, I'd stick with stock.
Old 03-15-18, 05:20 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

K&N style air filters suck at filtration performance. I've seen this on my personal vehicles, not just internet claims. There are also plenty of test results to support the fact. You don't need that extra dirt in your engine even if -- IF -- one of those filters gave you a couple of HP.
Old 03-16-18, 07:13 PM
Spyker1982
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone. I’ll just stick with stock. Save some cash by doing so.
Old 06-10-18, 09:19 PM
arseum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this:

https://www.urdusa.com/afe-51-82502-prodrys-2005-2009-4runner-4-7l-v8-and-gx470/

This is worth it. The aFe construction is top notch. A very noticeable improvement, but also very loud at WOT. Like the 1 review on URD, there is a half inch gap, that if sealed up, would help some with the sound and also then be a 100% cold air intake.

I was running it for a while with the stock fender accordion tube in place, but removed it as it was a restriction. A have an idea for a future seal, but it is on the back burner.

Somewhere Gadget had posted a Dyno; maybe on tundrasolutions dot com.

My mpg went down, but so did my lead foot.
Old 06-14-18, 12:10 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I dropped in a K&N filter an d took my Dremmel tool, made the air opening a little bit bigger. The guys are absolutely correct, technically we do have a true cold air system. Most of those on the market are not true cold air intakes systems. Junk a waste of money, you get a louder intake noise, that's it. Some are true cold air, but you have to do your research! If anything look for a GOOD computer reprogrammer! I believe a company does make 1 for our vehicles. Maybe 1 of the other guys will chime in.
Old 06-14-18, 02:09 PM
arseum
Driver School Candidate

Are you talking about URD's MAF calibrator?
https://www.urdusa.com/urd-maf-sensor-calibrator/

And did you Dremel sheet metal, or some of the plastic "fender accordion" tube? The tube I am referring to is about 3" diameter and is basically a sealed connection to the OEM intake to pull air only from the wheel well void outside of the engine bay.

I plan on adding a weather stripping seal on the AFE's larger tube, then cut out the sheet metal to match. I will take pics after this. You cannot really see the gap in this pic, you can barely see the AFE tube. I will have to get a close-up.
Old 06-15-18, 05:51 AM
arseum
Driver School Candidate

Here is a pic of the gap with the aFe,
and below is a pic of what I am calling the OEM "fender accordion" tube.

Old 06-15-18, 07:01 AM
carid
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Totally agree on the aFe air intake, as per dyno it gives almost 20HP and 20 lbs. x ft. torque and provides an improvement on the whole range of RPM.
The gains from an intake aren't really noticeable on small engines, but on this 4.7L V8 it will certainly work better.
More information about this intake: https://www.carid.com/2007-lexus-gx-...377217492.html
Old 06-15-18, 05:53 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

That gap means you're sucking in hot engine compartment air. I'm surprised it wasn't longer, so it could snug into the fender opening.

Chip H.
Old 06-15-18, 07:56 PM
arseum
Driver School Candidate

Correct.
I bet there was little to no gap if installed on the 4R.
i will be fixing this next
Old 06-16-18, 04:44 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I cut the wheel well out to make the induction larger. But from what I am reading, we have a gap? From our air box to the fender/intake source? Or is my A.D.D kicking in OVERDRIVE!?!?!

The AFE HOT AIR INDUCTION fits like that???!?!?!?!?!?!? Stock is a better set up than that! That is exactly why you really have to know your stuff and do your research. Im sure that set up was not cheap. What a shame! I would return it, no matter how old it is, blow them up on social media, etc! They have "engineers" that are supposed to measure and know the size ans dimensions of every millimeter of their set up! They probably saved .00000001 of a penny and cut back per unit of plastic. There is no way that chart is true with that set up!

Last edited by DiabloX22; 06-16-18 at 04:53 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-16-18, 07:13 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

arseum was saying that it was for the 4Runner, not the GX. Which is why the fit is sloppy.

Chip H.
Old 06-16-18, 07:52 PM
arseum
Driver School Candidate

The aFe can be used with the OEM accordion tube to be a cold air intake like OEM. I had run it like that for some time but pulled the accordion tube to see what exactly I am dealing with and how I could eliminate the bottleneck of that OEM tube.

You must not have kept that accordian tube piece if you cut the fender hole bigger.

The gap is with the aFe only, and only if the OEM accordion tube is not reinstalled.

I am not returning the aFe. The aFe tube flares larger at the end closest to the fender. I am going to install heavy duty weatherstripping on it, and then increase the fender hole to match the weatherstripping.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Suggestions?