GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New Owner - Buying a 1 owner 2006 GX 470 w/128K and always garaged - from CA

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-18, 11:17 AM
outrbnks
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Owner - Buying a 1 owner 2006 GX 470 w/128K and always garaged - from CA

Just purchasing a 2006 GX 470, one owner in the LA area, always garaged and in near new condition.
Eventually I'll be looking for a trailer hitch, any suggestions which is the best way to go?

Also is there a Lexus Vin decoder that actually gives you the data card build codes for a specific Vin #?

I've tried all the decoders I can find, including the one on this forum, and no vin decoders says exactly which paint code this car is.
From looking a the paint choices shown for a 2006 GX on the forum decoder, I'm guessing the paint code is 4R4, Savannah Metallic, since the GX appears to be Gold that's probably right.

But beyond the paint, it would be nice to see all the Build Codes for this GX. Am I miss-using the forum decoder, or does anyone know where to find the actual build codes that go with a particular Vin #.

I also own Mercedes cars, and Mercedes has a online website that you can get the data card for any valid vin, which shows all the build codes for any Mercedes.

I'm attaching a Mercedes "Data Card" to show you what I'm looking for on the Lexus GX 470. If you look at the attachment, you can clearly see the build codes, (SA Codes), that are specific to this car only. I hope Lexus or someone else can offer this type of information as well.

Thanks... outrbnks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Data Card 2004 E500.pdf (85.6 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by outrbnks; 02-17-18 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-17-18, 12:26 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Did you register at drivers.lexus.com yet? Not sure if they have a build-sheet decoder for a VIN, but in any case you'll be registered as the new owner and will get any recall or warranty-enhancement notices. And that's nice to have.

Some of the owner privileges can be nice - like preferred parking at concerts and race tracks, plus discounts at restaurants, etc. So check back with it occasionally to see any new ones that may have popped up.

The thread history here goes back many years, so it's worth taking a look at the older posts in case you have similar questions.
Welcome to the party.

Chip H.
The following users liked this post:
outrbnks (02-19-18)
Old 02-19-18, 08:17 AM
outrbnks
Driver School Candidate

Default Purchase Complete - Transport Recommendations anyone?

So the purchase is now complete, and the 06 GX 470 is now in my Daughters driveway in Burbank, waiting to get picked up for transport to NY.

Anyone have recommendations for a really good transport company? Also is there a special bracket for the front bumper to mount a license plate?

The previous owner left the front plate off, and in NY I will get stopped by police without a front plate.

Posted some pic's from yesterday in an album.
Attached Thumbnails New Owner - Buying a 1 owner 2006 GX 470 w/128K and always garaged - from CA-auto-trader-pic-3.jpg  
Old 02-20-18, 10:36 AM
TDC1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard positive review of Montway from a dealership.
outrbnks (02-20-18)
Old 02-20-18, 11:28 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

No front license plate bracket - you just use some screws into the plastic.

Chip H.
outrbnks (02-20-18)
Old 02-20-18, 11:33 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
No front license plate bracket - you just use some screws into the plastic.

Chip H.
you should see two slight indentations in the plastic bumper to guide you to tap and put two self tapping bolts in there...start with small ones in case you ever have to replace them and need a larger one...
outrbnks (02-20-18)
Old 02-20-18, 02:11 PM
outrbnks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALAN553
you should see two slight indentations in the plastic bumper to guide you to tap and put two self tapping bolts in there...start with small ones in case you ever have to replace them and need a larger one...
Thanks Alan, I can just see them when blowing up an image of the front bumper.. kind regards...O
Old 02-20-18, 02:12 PM
outrbnks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TDC1
I have heard positive review of Montway from a dealership.
Thanks, I'll check them out.. appreciated...O
Old 02-21-18, 04:06 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by outrbnks
So the purchase is now complete, and the 06 GX 470 is now in my Daughters driveway in Burbank, waiting to get picked up for transport to NY.

Anyone have recommendations for a really good transport company? .
Congrats on your new purchase.
I've always had great service from Intercity and Reliable to provide enclosed transport for my Porsches.
Old 02-21-18, 07:52 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

You can also use 3M double sided automotive tape to mount the plate if you don't want to drill holes. Use the thicker tape so it fills the void in the stamped plate and the metal won't touch the paint. It's a PITA to clean up if you have to remove it for some reason, but no holes in your bumper. So long as you properly prep before sticking it on, it will never come off, ever.
Old 02-21-18, 11:15 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
You can also use 3M double sided automotive tape to mount the plate if you don't want to drill holes. Use the thicker tape so it fills the void in the stamped plate and the metal won't touch the paint. It's a PITA to clean up if you have to remove it for some reason, but no holes in your bumper. So long as you properly prep before sticking it on, it will never come off, ever.
good idea...if plan A doesn’t work, you can always go back and put screws in.
Old 03-10-18, 04:59 AM
outrbnks
Driver School Candidate

Smile Delivery Day... !

My GX was finally delivered yesterday morning, pictures attached of it being unloaded. So it was delivered to the Toyota dealership near where I work, and Toyota took it right inside. So far I've sat in it for about 15 minutes, and then drove it to the service entrance door about 100 yds away. All fluids and filters are being changed as well as any service items that may be questionable.

After reading all about the GX's here on the forums, I asked the service manager about the radiator, ( was it original? ), the answer was yes, so I asked them to install a brand new radiator just to keep the transmission from swallowing anti-freeze. Just wanted to avoid the strawberry shake thing and keep the transmission healthy.

So not all that much of a wait, bought it on Feb. 19th and it was delivered safely 18 days later. The dealership will be done with it today hopefully, and I looking forward to taking the GX for a day trip up into the mountains...

PS: The driver told me that all 7 cars he was transporting were from LA, and I was the first drop-off on his trip to Maine. After he left here in the mid-Hudson valley in NY, he was headed to New Hampshire to drop off 2 cars, then to Boston to drop off 2 more, then up to Maine for the last 2 drop-offs. Then he was headed back to NJ pick a full load to go to LA. I like to drive, but that's over the top for me...

Last edited by outrbnks; 03-10-18 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-10-18, 05:05 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Congrats!

Chip H.
Old 03-10-18, 05:50 AM
outrbnks
Driver School Candidate

Talking It's Ready

Originally Posted by chiph9
Congrats!

Chip H.
Thanks Chip..

Great news, I just got the call that it's ready..! It's a beautiful sunny, blue-sky winter day with a fresh blanket of snow on the ground, heading out for the first road trip...
Old 03-11-18, 02:43 PM
outrbnks
Driver School Candidate

Default Missing Piece - drivers side roof rack front cover

My weather tech shipment came in minus the rear cargo area mat, but everything else installed OK, with just a minor hicup with the side window rain deflectors.

With the rain deflectors installed, at first the windows would all retract instantly when they hit the top of the window frame, something like what a garage door does when it his obstacle before it closes all the way.

After several cycles of opening and closing, all the windows now will close all the way and stay there, except the drivers window. On the drivers window, I have to quickly just bump it up a small step at a time so that it will stay up. If it goes into auto close, it will retract half way down every time. Is there a learning cycle to reset the auto close?

Well I just noticed today that the GX lost the left front nose piece cover for the roof rack during shipping. Hopefully this is a part I can find easily without a lot of problems.

I guess the dealer should be able to order it for me, anyone else have suggestions?

Thanks....O

Quick Reply: New Owner - Buying a 1 owner 2006 GX 470 w/128K and always garaged - from CA