GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Buying my first GX470 - which one to get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-18, 11:36 AM
SciFctn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my first GX470 - which one to get?

Hello, I've been lurking this forum for a while - I've finally decided to purchase a used GX470 and couldn't be more excited!
I'm a little torn right now between saving some bucks on a higher mileage model, or spend a bit more on something with less miles.

Here's what I'm looking at, I'd love to hear any opinions!

2004, 144k miles, $11k, No Nav (my preference), supposedly has a sport package (I'm not convinced until I see it)
2004, 170k miles, $7300, has nav, no sport
2004, 142k miles, $11k, has nav + "every option"
2004, 157k miles, $7500, has nav, salvage title
2006, 109k miles, $11k, no nav, hail damaged on the roof and hood pretty good
*edit* New challengers -
2003, 90k miles, $12k, has nav
2005, 180k miles, $9900, no nav
2006, 158k miles, $10900, no nav
2006, 101k miles, $12500, has nav
*/edit*

All the trucks have 1 timing belt/water pump replacement done so far, so the 170k mile one will need another soon.
I really only drive about 10k miles a year so there's a good chance things will wear out from age rather than mileage on me. I'd like to keep the truck for at least 5 years, and I'll be doing some light off roading in the summers. I could use some expert / experienced opinions, thank you!

Basically, would you rather have a newer model with higher miles, or an older one with low miles. And how much of a premium is low miles worth to you?

Last edited by SciFctn; 02-04-18 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-04-18, 12:24 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Nav vs. no-Nav: On these trucks, the last map update came out in 2015, so that's the newest maps you'll ever get for them. If you live in an area that isn't growing all that fast, it might suffice for you. If you live in an area with good cellphone service, skipping the Nav might be the best option and going with cellphone maps if you'll save a lot of money.

Salvage title: No f-ing way.
Hail damaged: Nope.

If #2 has full maintenance records, I'd seriously consider it. Otherwise #1. Then #3.

Chip H.
The following users liked this post:
Kris9884 (02-09-18)
Old 02-04-18, 02:40 PM
SciFctn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for chiming in. Yeah, no nav is definitely my preference!

I just got back from test driving #1, it was in great shape underneath and in the engine bay but the interior was a little beat. It also had Cooper ATP tires with good tread so that's a plus.
It had a few skid plates which I wasn't expecting, skid plates were never stock on these vehicles, correct?
Old 02-04-18, 06:17 PM
LoganDon
Driver School Candidate

I purchased a 2006 with 49k miles in Dec. with the nav. Just forget the nav and purchase a garmin nuvi gps - much better than anything out now. Putting on new tires now and saving to have the timing belt and water pump replaced next month. Runs and drives like new. In my limited experience I would go for the '06 with nav. and ~110k miles - IF TIMING BELT AND WATER PUMP REPLACED. You will love any of the above cars.
Old 02-05-18, 06:45 AM
Tdoll
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SciFctn
Thanks for chiming in. Yeah, no nav is definitely my preference!

I just got back from test driving #1, it was in great shape underneath and in the engine bay but the interior was a little beat. It also had Cooper ATP tires with good tread so that's a plus.
It had a few skid plates which I wasn't expecting, skid plates were never stock on these vehicles, correct?
Incorrect. These vehicles have skid plates from the factory.
Old 02-05-18, 07:41 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Get the one with nav because theres a plug and play radio replacement available which replaces the whole screen and cassette deck with a 10.7” Android 6.0 for $750. Not sure if it works for non-nav (it might). If it does, then not having mark levinson is a benefit. I havent pulled the trigger on the radio yet because my sub and couple speakers are still blown

See thread here
Old 02-05-18, 08:31 AM
Tdoll
Driver

Originally Posted by RushNatU
Get the one with nav because theres a plug and play radio replacement available which replaces the whole screen and cassette deck with a 10.7” Android 6.0 for $750. Not sure if it works for non-nav (it might). If it does, then not having mark levinson is a benefit. I havent pulled the trigger on the radio yet because my sub and couple speakers are still blown

See thread here
There is a plug and play for non nav. I would not suggest getting a nav due to the lack of choices when it comes to radio upgrades. The Tesla style units are still very new to the GX market. I personally would give them a couple of years on the market minimum. These are Chinese built and well there you have it. Lol
Back to original question... each year has it’s benefits, it comes down to what you want from your GX and what you intend to do with it. Lower miles for any year is appealing, but should not be a “deal” maker or breaker. These platforms have a great reputation for being reliable when properly maintained. So service history is a factor that should be near the top of the “buy” list. Visual inspection from a trained eye with the knowledge of your expectations and what you intend to do with it should get you a good buy. Lots of research on here and the web in general will benefit you on your purchase.
Old 02-06-18, 06:37 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the nav-non nav thing will be a moot point here shortly with replacement options. While nav replacements are still in infancy, they’ll be out soon I bet. AFAIK, there is ONE Nav truck up and running the Tesla style screen without issues currently here in the states. It’s just a matter of working the software bugs out between the Prado and the GX, but it’ll happen.
and FWIW, 4ohm 6x9 speakers work great in the drivers doors on Nav trucks, so much so that they provide enough bass to disconnect the ML sub if it’s blown and then some. I just did Rockford Fosgate 6x9’s, connectors, and speaker adapters in my drivers doors for less than half the price of ONE ML 6x9 replacement.

Last edited by BlackCat81; 02-06-18 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-06-18, 08:24 AM
Tdoll
Driver

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
I think the nav-non nav thing will be a moot point here shortly with replacement options. While nav replacements are still in infancy, they’ll be out soon I bet. AFAIK, there is ONE Nav truck up and running the Tesla style screen without issues currently here in the states. It’s just a matter of working the software bugs out between the Prado and the GX, but it’ll happen.
and FWIW, 4ohm 6x9 speakers work great in the drivers doors on Nav trucks, so much so that they provide enough bass to disconnect the ML sub if it’s blown and then some. I just did Rockford Fosgate 6x9’s, connectors, and speaker adapters in my drivers doors for less than half the price of ONE ML 6x9 replacement.
There are 3 generations of of nav/radios in the GX470. I know of several people who have the Tesla style radios up and running in both nav and non nav. Problem is, it’s only the first Gens up and running. To my knowledge there is ZERO 2nd or 3rd Gens up and running.
Won’t running 4ohm speakers in a 8ohm system burn up your amp?
Old 02-06-18, 07:04 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Tdoll

There are 3 generations of of nav/radios in the GX470. I know of several people who have the Tesla style radios up and running in both nav and non nav. Problem is, it’s only the first Gens up and running. To my knowledge there is ZERO 2nd or 3rd Gens up and running.
Won’t running 4ohm speakers in a 8ohm system burn up your amp?
ya, as I said, it’s still in infancy. They’ll get the bugs worked out for the various gens. And no, 4ohm front door speakers are just fine on the amp. If you went all 4ohm including the sub, you’d probably put the amp in heat protection. I’m one of many who have made the switch, and it is an incredible sound quality difference.
Old 02-07-18, 08:33 PM
SciFctn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone, I ended up with option #1, 2004 144k non nav and got it for $9k. Excited to nail one down!
Old 02-09-18, 08:37 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

This is a great thread, I would love to see more people adding to it for future buyers, like myself. What year is best or what to look for? Sport package, what? Common failure points if any, I know these things are tanks.
Old 02-09-18, 10:59 AM
shakazulu
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think best year is a personal call. Looking for best condition would be my primary focus. I personally wanted a 2005 or newer, and would have preferred a 2008 or newer simply because I think the interior looks better. Ended up with a 2005. I'll be honest, 90 percent of that was simply because the 2005's have more horsepower, though I doubt I would have noticed it in the long run. I have a nav version and am looking to do the Tesla style replacement shortly. I was actively seeking a non-nav due to easier to upgrade the audio, but it seemed like there were ten times as many with Nav/ML out on the used market.
Old 02-09-18, 11:27 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by shakazulu
I think best year is a personal call. Looking for best condition would be my primary focus. I personally wanted a 2005 or newer, and would have preferred a 2008 or newer simply because I think the interior looks better. Ended up with a 2005. I'll be honest, 90 percent of that was simply because the 2005's have more horsepower, though I doubt I would have noticed it in the long run. I have a nav version and am looking to do the Tesla style replacement shortly. I was actively seeking a non-nav due to easier to upgrade the audio, but it seemed like there were ten times as many with Nav/ML out on the used market.
I'm with you there, it seems there are far more nav optioned GX's than not. I've been shopping for a few months now. My only requirement so far is to have a non nav so I can easily install something with built in Bluetooth; hell I'd even be ok with the nav if there was a way to wire something behind the stock stereo to allow bluetooth. I'm not at all an audiophile but I have a huge pet peeve of wire clutter and cant stand AUX cables laying around.
Old 02-16-18, 07:51 AM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Good luck to you OP on your new purchase. If it were my call I'd pick up the 2006, 101k miles, $12500, has nav. It's the newest one with the least amount of miles. Would have tried to negotiate to $11,500. Compared to the 2004, its 2 years less on the road. I don't care about the Nav or non nav models. I use google maps on my phone and connect via bluethooth with the USA SPEC BT45-TOY kit. Sound quality is great and it was fairly inexpensive. I'm not interested in spending several hundred dollars on an aftermarket stereo. Age and low mileage are the key factors to me when buying a car.
The following users liked this post:
outrbnks (02-17-18)

Quick Reply: Buying my first GX470 - which one to get?