GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DVD Override and Pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 12:42 PM
Charles177
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, new to this, please help!!

I just bought a 2006 GX470 - Will doing this work on that model? It was to my understanding that you couldn't watch DVD's on the front monitor no matter what (even if the car was in park and not moving) I thought this option became available in the 2007 models. PLEASE LET ME KNOW if this will work with 2006 GX470 (and possibly a way to test beforehand?)

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-19-11, 10:48 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles177

I just bought a 2006 GX470 - Will doing this work on that model? It was to my understanding that you couldn't watch DVD's on the front monitor no matter what (even if the car was in park and not moving) I thought this option became available in the 2007 models. PLEASE LET ME KNOW if this will work with 2006 GX470 (and possibly a way to test beforehand?)

Thanks for the help!
Not sure about the '06 but with my '08 you put it in park, pull up the e-brake set the radio to DVD and pop a disk and play it in the multi changer and it is there.
Old 10-21-11, 02:15 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Charles177

Thanks for the help!
it should!

i have a lockpick in my 06 GX470 but the way described in this thread is a much cheaper alternative
Old 02-04-12, 11:42 PM
sidwin
Pole Position

i'm trying to decide should i do this or buy a bypass of some sort.
Old 02-05-12, 10:25 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LZMF1
it should!

i have a lockpick in my 06 GX470 but the way described in this thread is a much cheaper alternative
So to be clear, the lockpick allows the DVD player to function even when moving and it also does away with the warning screen and allows full access to all nav functions while moving as well, do I have that right?
Old 02-06-12, 07:17 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Muti007
So to be clear, the lockpick allows the DVD player to function even when moving and it also does away with the warning screen and allows full access to all nav functions while moving as well, do I have that right?
you got it..that's exactly what it does.
Old 02-06-12, 07:35 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. is this the thing thats an easy install right under the driver seat? I seem to recall someone pointing me inthe direction of the lockpick site but there was one for $125 and another for 4220. I couldnt tell what the difference was in the pricier version. This sounds like exactly what I need to get, especially if it means I can avoid pulling my whole dash apart.

Last edited by Muti007; 02-06-12 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-06-12, 07:26 PM
sidwin
Pole Position

so will this work on a 2008 with the mark levinson? can we skip the whole using a switch?
Old 02-11-12, 06:22 PM
sidwin
Pole Position

fyi on a mark levinson 2008 the plug that you have to mess with is the one closest to the driver side NOT the middle. i just installed a beat sonic module and that's what i had to disconnect. to be honest... it is so worth the $150. dang thing just works and installation is clean. it also allows me to make calls in motion now too.
Old 03-25-12, 10:12 AM
pink
Driver School Candidate

I am well aware that his is an old post. The OP post was very helpfull on how to remove the trim panels. Thanks again
Old 04-07-12, 06:18 PM
InderB
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2006 Lexus gx 470, i have engauged my hand brake to the first click and once i go over 20 the dvd dissapears? I want to do the override, can someone help me and tell me what i need to disconnect and connect. I did not try anything so far. PLEASE HELP
Old 07-21-13, 06:53 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Need Help now in middle of install clarification on wires

QUOTE=mogulbumm;616558]Step 6: The two wires you need access to are the Violet wire with red stripe on pin #5 and the light green wire on pin #13. If you will not be using a switch, cut the violet/red wire and tape the ends, then cut the light green wire and ground the part that goes to the screen. This will simulate the parking brake.

If you choose to use a switch, run 4 wires (2 for each side of the wires) to the blank next to "Second Start". I chose to use twist connectors on this install to make it easier to revert back to factory settings when I return my lease. "A" shows my splice on the screen side, "B" shows the splice on the vehicle side, and "C" shows my 4-wire run (one cable) which goes to the blank.[/QUOTE]

I am in the middle of the install and I am confused about what wire to cut and splice I see I have a pink wire with red line I have three light green wires The pink is pin 5 there is no green wire on pin 13 unless I am counting wrong my car is a 2004 gx470 I dont want to cut the wrong wires . If someone can walk me through which wires I cut especially the light green wire ?? I have car apart and would like to finish install
if you see this post please help me if you can
Old 07-21-13, 11:34 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default help

Originally Posted by mrblister
QUOTE=mogulbumm;616558]Step 6: The two wires you need access to are the Violet wire with red stripe on pin #5 and the light green wire on pin #13. If you will not be using a switch, cut the violet/red wire and tape the ends, then cut the light green wire and ground the part that goes to the screen. This will simulate the parking brake.

If you choose to use a switch, run 4 wires (2 for each side of the wires) to the blank next to "Second Start". I chose to use twist connectors on this install to make it easier to revert back to factory settings when I return my lease. "A" shows my splice on the screen side, "B" shows the splice on the vehicle side, and "C" shows my 4-wire run (one cable) which goes to the blank.
I am in the middle of the install and I am confused about what wire to cut and splice I see I have a pink wire with red line I have three light green wires The pink is pin 5 there is no green wire on pin 13 unless I am counting wrong my car is a 2004 gx470 I dont want to cut the wrong wires . If someone can walk me through which wires I cut especially the light green wire ?? I have car apart and would like to finish install
if you see this post please help me if you can[/QUOTE]

I went ahead with what wires I thought were to be cut Violet with red strip and right next to it light green wire I used the connector second from the right looking at back of nav, I used the dpdt switch and ran a ground to the frame of the radio,

Results dvd played normal with brake up press mod switch in to activate dvd played with brake released. Soon as I put car in gear and moved a few feet dvd picture stopped audio continued.

I think its the speed sense wire I may have cut the wrong vilolet / red to be honest it looked pink with red stripe.

Can someone please help me with this I need a good picture of the connector and the correct wire to cut..
Old 07-22-13, 04:28 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Well three days now no one answered me. I know its an old thread but I am sure I am not the only 2004 gx470 owner that wanted to do the dvd bi-pass. Would really appreciate a members help or point me in the right direction.

I am very active on the sc430 forum and I try and help when ever I can.

Buddy
Old 07-22-13, 04:44 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
Well three days now no one answered me. I know its an old thread but I am sure I am not the only 2004 gx470 owner that wanted to do the dvd bi-pass. Would really appreciate a members help or point me in the right direction.

I am very active on the sc430 forum and I try and help when ever I can.

Buddy
You're right, it's an old thread. Today's method would be to mount a tablet and see everything in HD.

Quick Reply: DVD Override and Pictures!