GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DVD Override and Pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 08:47 PM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD Override for 2007 GX470

Below is a pictures of the harness connections at the back of the Navigation screen. The connector that you will need to modify is the one closest to the Driver side of the Navigation screen.
Attached Thumbnails DVD Override and Pictures!-lex_back_dash_2.jpg  
Old 01-09-08, 09:29 PM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Below is picture of the Blank next to the 2nd STRT button with the Radio Shack switch installed in it. I used a drill to create the hole for the switch. I don't remember what side I used but it was greater than 1/2". Below are links to the a few of the different types of switch you may used for this MOD.

Part 275-695
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2062525&cp

Part 275-691
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2062521&cp

RS42P model
http://www.4x4mods.com/

I am not good at soldering so I used the quick disconnectors.
Attached Thumbnails DVD Override and Pictures!-lex_switch.jpg  

Last edited by dsmiles1; 01-09-08 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 10:13 PM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Below pictures are of the wires I cut. First of all I cut my wires very far from the white Navigation plug. The original post mentioned to cut close to the plug, but I decided to cut very far away from the plug so that if the Lexus technician go searching far an issue with the Navigation system or radio he does not notice any strange wires close to the Navigation screen. Please pay attention to which green wire you cut. There are several light and dark green wires in the plug closes to the driver side. Cut the light green wire with the brown rings or dots.

You will need to purchase some butt splice or twist connectors for 18-22 gauge wires in addition to five 18-22 guage wires of 24" to 32" in length. I bought a cable that had 4 wires in it and 1 extra wire to run the ground wire.
Attached Thumbnails DVD Override and Pictures!-lex_wire_cut.jpg  
Old 01-09-08, 10:32 PM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Below are just pictures showing how neatly I put everything back together when I unravelled the harness to cut the 2 cables (see pictures 1 and 2 of my previous posts for comparisons).
Attached Thumbnails DVD Override and Pictures!-lex_wire_cut_2.jpg  
Old 01-09-08, 10:47 PM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Attached are pictures showing the routing of the wires to the switch and to the radio for grounding.
Attached Thumbnails DVD Override and Pictures!-lex_wire_routing.jpg  
Old 01-09-08, 11:04 PM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Below is a electrical diagram of how to connect the wires to the back of the switch (this was originally posted in this thread) and a finished picture of the switch in the vehicle..
Attached Thumbnails DVD Override and Pictures!-lex_switch_2.jpg  
Old 01-09-08, 11:28 PM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Okay. What do you get with this mod?

1. DVD will play on Navigation screen while car is in motion once you press MOD switch.

2. You can make Bluetooth phone calls while car is in motion.

Note 1: DVD will continue to play when you switch to Navigation or Map if you do not turn off the MOD button.

Note 2: You will not be able to enter addresses or destinations while car is in motion with this MOD.

I purchased and installed Coastal Electronic Technologies "Basic Lockpick 3" in my vehicle so that I could enter addresses while the car is in motion. I have been using it for 2 days now and it works fine. The install was very simple to where you disconnect the navigation plug underneath the passenger seat (look from the front not the back) and plug in the Lockpick 3. By the way this MOD also removes the "I AGREE" message after ~2 seconds.

Please note that I have not been driving the vehicle for no longer than a week with the above MODS and no farther than 15 miles one way from my home. To date I have not observed any issues with any of the above MODS, especially inaccuracy in Navigation system. In previous posts there were quite a few people asking about whether the system lost track of where your car was or was off slightly. I have not expereinced any of that.

Dsmiles1
Old 01-16-08, 04:26 PM
rajapavin
Driver School Candidate

Default Great Mod Pics!

Dsmiles

Thanks for these great pictures and details about the DVD mod. I'm waiting for my HID Kit. As soon as that gets here (end of Jan) I'll try this mod and post my results.

I think your mod helps with DVD watching and on screen dialing. I just hope the harness and wiring has stayed the same for the 2008 model.

BTW for those who have a 2008 GX - there are some cool NAV features in the 2008 GX that I like:

1. Navigation - "Dial by Number" - Say a number, Nav system uses your bluetooth phone to dial.

2. There is no more "click ok" screen on the new Nav system

Thanks again for your Mod ideas!

JP
Old 01-17-08, 08:47 AM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rajapavin
Dsmiles

Thanks for these great pictures and details about the DVD mod. I'm waiting for my HID Kit. As soon as that gets here (end of Jan) I'll try this mod and post my results.

I think your mod helps with DVD watching and on screen dialing. I just hope the harness and wiring has stayed the same for the 2008 model.

BTW for those who have a 2008 GX - there are some cool NAV features in the 2008 GX that I like:

1. Navigation - "Dial by Number" - Say a number, Nav system uses your bluetooth phone to dial.

2. There is no more "click ok" screen on the new Nav system

Thanks again for your Mod ideas!

JP

No problem and good luck.
Old 01-30-08, 06:02 PM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dsmiles1
No problem and good luck.
I just took my car into the dealership for 15,000 mile service. With the navigation and DVD mods they not detect anything.

dsmiles
Old 02-26-08, 10:35 PM
RyanofCA
Driver School Candidate

Default Help

Hi dsmiles1,

I saw your question on the other thread regarding Bluetooth override for 2007 GX. I have a similar setup as yours. In fact I just posted the question below on this forum before finding this one.

------------
I have a 2006 GX 470. I bought it without the DVD entertainment system because I didn't like looking at the flipped down LCD in the rear view mirror plus it would be hard for my small kids in the second room to watch movies. I got an after market system with behind the headrest LCDs, DVD player, and wireless headsets. Everything works fine but here are the issues.

- They used a FM Modulator so the sound is not good and sometime there are lots of static or no sound at all
- Only viewer (kids mostly) in the back can view the DVD so it is hard for the front (driver and front passenger) to navigate the DVD such as skipping intro, or to a specific part

Below is what I ultimately want to accomplish with your help.

- Hook the after market DVD player directly to the Lexus sound system - Trash the FM Modulator
- Modify the front Nav LCD to view the same DVD movie as the back.
- Nav DVD plays movie while driving.
- I have an ipod so if I can use it with the Lexus sound system that would be cool!
-------------------------

Can you suggest options?

Thanks...Ryan
Old 02-29-08, 07:34 PM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Ryan,
I do not know enough about the electrical diagrams of the DVD navigation screen and radio system to assist you on this problem. But to do what you want you would have to do the mod which I highlighted above to watch DVDs on the Navigation screen while moving and connect your external DVD player audio & video cables to the Navigation screen and radio.
As an altenative Coastal Electronics has a plug and play module that would meet your requirements, but from reading post from this forum their customer service is bad. Please look at the attached link.

http://www.coastaletech.com/lockpick3.htm

Regards,
Dsmiles

Originally Posted by RyanofCA
Hi dsmiles1,

I saw your question on the other thread regarding Bluetooth override for 2007 GX. I have a similar setup as yours. In fact I just posted the question below on this forum before finding this one.

------------
I have a 2006 GX 470. I bought it without the DVD entertainment system because I didn't like looking at the flipped down LCD in the rear view mirror plus it would be hard for my small kids in the second room to watch movies. I got an after market system with behind the headrest LCDs, DVD player, and wireless headsets. Everything works fine but here are the issues.

- They used a FM Modulator so the sound is not good and sometime there are lots of static or no sound at all
- Only viewer (kids mostly) in the back can view the DVD so it is hard for the front (driver and front passenger) to navigate the DVD such as skipping intro, or to a specific part

Below is what I ultimately want to accomplish with your help.

- Hook the after market DVD player directly to the Lexus sound system - Trash the FM Modulator
- Modify the front Nav LCD to view the same DVD movie as the back.
- Nav DVD plays movie while driving.
- I have an ipod so if I can use it with the Lexus sound system that would be cool!
-------------------------

Can you suggest options?

Thanks...Ryan
Old 04-05-08, 08:45 PM
scb71
Rookie

Default 04 dvd

Thanks to everyone for the input, revisions, q&a, etc. This is a fantastic thread and a wonderful modification.

I just did the modification without the switch. Don't really see any use for the switch unless you are on a lease and do not own the car. maybe I am wrong on that and if so someone please let me know why I should go back and add the switch. Otherwise this is great and I look forward to enjoying it!
Old 04-09-08, 10:09 AM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did this mod on my 04 Landcruiser and it works great.

Now I an going to do it on my 08 GX.

I hope the wires are the same as the 07 above.

I am not installing a switch so just want to make sure I am reading the colors right.

violet with red pin strip = cut and tape
green with brown rings = cut and ground

Thanks all!
Old 04-09-08, 10:18 AM
JasonCANES
Driver

JDITOM - let me know if that works for you as I'm concerned since I am running two VAIS units right now and don't want to mess with those. Any ideas?

violet with red pin strip = cut and tape
green with brown rings = cut and ground

Quick Reply: DVD Override and Pictures!