GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

LED vs HID Replacement Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-18, 10:12 AM
Tdoll
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Booyah
A nice set of HID's from Xenondepot is what you want---the HID's are FAR better than LED's, the light pattern sucks in the projector housings (I have tried several, crap lighting) the HID's will give you the nice pattern you are looking for and provide a nice cutoff line as well, I have been running HID's in my Lows and Fogs and its a super combo of light onto the road, and they have been super reliable for years!
I have a high quality set of HIDs in my car and I have a set of what I would consider upper med quality of LEDs in my GX, my LEDs put out a better pattern, brighter beam that is full of light. So I HIGHLY disagree with your statement. I wonder how long it has been since you have tried LED headlight bulbs. Technology moves very quick with electronics and LEDs are no exception. Led lighting is on fire right now, so the tech is top notch. I would bet that LEDs from just 2 years back are barely comparable to LEDs of today.
Old 01-17-18, 11:08 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tdoll
I have a high quality set of HIDs in my car and I have a set of what I would consider upper med quality of LEDs in my GX, my LEDs put out a better pattern, brighter beam that is full of light. So I HIGHLY disagree with your statement. I wonder how long it has been since you have tried LED headlight bulbs. Technology moves very quick with electronics and LEDs are no exception. Led lighting is on fire right now, so the tech is top notch. I would bet that LEDs from just 2 years back are barely comparable to LEDs of today.
Part of it will depend on the design, but part of it will definitely depend on the housing. You will always get the best results by using the type of lighting the housing was designed for, but our HID and LED bulbs are built with the intention of getting you the same beam pattern that you get from the equivalent halogens. Diodes and HID capsules are positioned to mimic the filament positioning on the stock bulbs, so you should get the same sort of results, just much brighter.

That being said, results sometimes vary a bit because the LEDs have the bi-directional light, as opposed to halogens and HIDs that are omnidirectional, but our Xtreme LED PRO Kit bulbs have a clockable design (except for the H4s), so you can make adjustments to how they sit in the housing to improve the lighting pattern.

As for which is better, LED or HID, you're both right. I can only speak for our own products, but our LEDs are definitely getting better (and we just launched the 3rd Generation of our kits - Xtreme LED PRO), but our HIDs are still the brightest options we have.

~Robert
The following 4 users liked this post by XenonDepot:
bagwell (01-23-18), GXONE (01-22-18), IanB2 (01-17-18), Tdoll (01-17-18)
Old 01-17-18, 11:20 AM
Tdoll
Driver

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Part of it will depend on the design, but part of it will definitely depend on the housing. You will always get the best results by using the type of lighting the housing was designed for, but our HID and LED bulbs are built with the intention of getting you the same beam pattern that you get from the equivalent halogens. Diodes and HID capsules are positioned to mimic the filament positioning on the stock bulbs, so you should get the same sort of results, just much brighter.

That being said, results sometimes vary a bit because the LEDs have the bi-directional light, as opposed to halogens and HIDs that are omnidirectional, but our Xtreme LED PRO Kit bulbs have a clockable design (except for the H4s), so you can make adjustments to how they sit in the housing to improve the lighting pattern.

As for which is better, LED or HID, you're both right. I can only speak for our own products, but our LEDs are definitely getting better (and we just launched the 3rd Generation of our kits - Xtreme LED PRO), but our HIDs are still the brightest options we have.

~Robert
What Watt are your HID kits? Do HIDs diminish in brightness over time? I’ve noticed heat from Incandecents, Halogens and HIDs seem to weaken plastic sockets, but so far, I have not experienced this from LEDs, but I have had LED bulbs ( non headlight bulbs ) malfunction and melt in the sockets.
Old 01-17-18, 11:27 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

What Watt are your HID kits? Do HIDs diminish in brightness over time? I’ve noticed heat from Incandecents, Halogens and HIDs seem to weaken plastic sockets, but so far, I have not experienced this from LEDs, but I have had LED bulbs ( non headlight bulbs ) malfunction and melt in the sockets.
All of our HID kits run at 35W, so they run quite a bit cooler than most headlight halogen bulbs.

~Robert
Old 01-17-18, 11:31 AM
Tdoll
Driver

Thank you!
Old 01-19-18, 09:12 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Do HIDs diminish in brightness over time?
Sorry there, missed the other question the first time around!

HIDs, like any other light bulbs, will dim a bit with age and use. Sometimes you will see a colour change (which can be radical - like a white light going red or pink) as they near the end of their useful life as well, which is a good sign that you are due for some replacements.

~Robert
Old 05-22-18, 08:04 AM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I am toying with the idea of getting something brighter, never consider LED until you guys talked about this. I was thinking of getting Silverstar Utra(white lights) but LED seems interesting. Besides Xtreme Vison, what other brand of LED low beam have you guys used with no issue? I want to make sure I get one that install easy with no modification of any kind. Thanks for any insight.
Old 05-22-18, 09:14 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dchan865
I am toying with the idea of getting something brighter, never consider LED until you guys talked about this. I was thinking of getting Silverstar Utra(white lights) but LED seems interesting. Besides Xtreme Vison, what other brand of LED low beam have you guys used with no issue? I want to make sure I get one that install easy with no modification of any kind. Thanks for any insight.
Hi,

Take a look at the Xtreme H11 LED headlight kit that we offer. You can check out this review of them installed in a H11 Toyota projector headlight.

Danny
Old 05-22-18, 09:40 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

LED > HID

HID kits are horrible in housings that were not designed for HID bulbs, they scatter the light and blind on coming drivers, they do not focus the light unless they are in the proper projectors.

LEDs are better in this regard, I put LEDs in my wife's 2017 Camry, which has halogen projectors and the light spread is the same as it was with the halogen bulbs, so no scatter and no blinding on coming drivers, they are whiter and give a nice focused beam in front of the car,

I am also using them in my 1939 Ford Tudor, which originally had sealed beams, the previous owner swapped them to H4 halogen but those were encased behind the sealed beam lens so the light output was about as good as a 1970s d-cell flashlight. I converted them to clear lens with H4 LED bulbs and the proper reflector housings and the light output is outstanding and maintains the original tear drop headlight look.