GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Traction Control and VSC not functioning - no lights on dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-17, 09:15 AM
Inglysh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control and VSC not functioning - no lights on dash

My VSC and TC systems are not working. I was on I've today and was able to basically spin the vehicle in both directions and give it full gas with no feedback. I have one dash light lit for low tire pressure- currently the sensors are not installed.

Other than that, truck is operating fine.
I would think that if low pressure eliminates VSC, that the light would be on. Not having it on has me concerned.
Old 12-17-17, 09:30 AM
Inglysh
Driver School Candidate

Default Abs

Abs does work so I don't think it's an issue with the wheel speed sensors.
Old 12-19-17, 09:18 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Adjust the tire pressure, since the light is on it may shut the system off, the tires arent turning in a synchronized order. I dont know what you mean by-currently the sensors are not installed! If they arent installed, they are not going to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-17, 07:21 PM
Inglysh
Driver School Candidate

Default more info

I am skeptical that the TPMS system has anything to do with either traction control OR vehicle stability. Certainly low tire pressure wouldn't turn off the VSC or TC without a dash light notification. There is nothing in the owners manual that warns low pressure would disable these systems. It is a 11 year-old vehicle and replacement of the TPMS sensors doesn't make economic sense. Many people have snow tires and don't pay extra to have new sensors installed in alternative wheels. I am certainly not the first person to do this and can easily keep tire pressures in check with gauge.

Additional notes:
ABS - seems to stop the car just fine. I can't tell if all 4 wheels being actuated by ABS but it seems like there aren't any issues with functionality.
Traction Control - While I can hit the gas hard over ice and the wheels/engine will spin up with no interdiction from the TC system, my rear right wheel hit a curb during a turn and the TC responded immediately with the dash light being lit.
Vehicle Stability Control - Am able to steer full lock to lock in low traction with very little interdiction from the system. Was able to spin the vehicle with only a short period (less than 2 sec) of warning during the spin from the system that there was instability. I don't recall in the moment if traction control actuated during that brief period.

I checked the following fuses.

Engine Compartment
Fuse number 33 Fuse ABS SOL Amps 30 Anti−lock brake system, vehicle stability control system, active traction control system, brake assist system
Fuse number 14 Fuse STOP Amps 10 Stop lights, high mounted stoplight, shift lock control system, vehicle stability control system, electronic modulated suspension, rear height control air suspension, multiport fuel injection system/sequential multiport fuel injection system
Fuse number 29 Fuse ECU−B Amps 10 Multiplex communication system, vehicle stability control system, wireless remote control system, inside rear view mirror, air conditioning system, electronic modulated suspension, driving position memory system, power windows, moon roof, rear view monitor system
Fuse number 31 Fuse ABS MTR Amps 40 Anti−lock brake system, vehicle stability control system, active traction control system, brake assist system

Driver-Side Inst Panel
Fuse number 46 Fuse IGN Amps 10 Multiport fuel injection system/sequential multiport fuel injection system, vehicle stability control system
Fuse number 59 Fuse ECU−IG Amps 10 Shift lock control system, power windows, outside rear view mirror defogger, anti−lock brake system, active traction control system, vehicle stability control system, air conditioning system, navigation system, power windows, moon roof, tilt and telescopic steering, multi−information display, driving position memory system, rear view monitor system, tire pressure warning system
Fuse number 60 Fuse IG1 Amps 10 Air conditioning system, back−up lights, rear window defogger, seat heaters, vehicle stability control system

I would assume that if there was a fault in a wheel speed sensor that it would trigger an ABS light... but who knows.
I may go a little further to say that at least the right rear wheel speed sensor is working.
It bothers me that the vehicle can slide in non-wheel direction vectors. This makes me think there is also an issue with the yaw sensor.
That said, the TC issue should still be addressed first as, yaw correction cannot be made without traction control functioning.
I still think that while the TC issue is predominant, a yaw sensor issue is at play because even with TC not working, I believe I should still get the warning tones even if the system can't fully operate.

I searched the interwebs and it seems that there aren't many people at all that have noticed an issue where both TC and VCS are failing while no ABS/Check engine light is illuminated.