GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

AC issues in potential buy - how expensive can the repairs get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-17, 02:18 PM
Ssd108
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC issues in potential buy - how expensive can the repairs get?

Good afternoon and Happy Thanksgiving all,

I am trying to find a good condition used 2007+ GX470 here in the Dallas area. Found a couple of While ones that seem to have been very well taken care of - but both have AC issues. The one I looked at today (2007 model) has a pretty long history of attempted AC repairs on the Lexus Owners site (pulled history using VIN#). Below is the diagnosis and repair history at the Lexus Dealership here in Dallas. I am liking the car otherwise, if this AC repair would not be super expensive (>>1k) I would like to buy the vehicle. Currently has 177k and if offering for $10.5k. I am sure she will come down to $10k easily. I took a short test drive today and the engine is very responsive. She had the rear setup changed in the past year - changed to springs but also replaced with new shocks also.

Looking for advice from folks who have faced AC issues and can provide any advice on this.

At 128k miles passenger side was cooling okay but driver side was not blowing as much cold air. Found to be 1 lb low on freon and was recharged.

Then at 134k miles (3 months later) AC system was checked for leaks with UV detection light. Here are exact notes - Found rear evaporator and lines leaking, system looks corroded in the rear and may require additional repairs. Need to start with replacing rear ac evaporator assembly. ~ ~ ~ ~134007 rear ac evaporator and lines leaking. The only place there was any dye was in the rear evap. Case 750 replaced rear evaporator and the sub hose assembly coming off expansion valve, replaced all orings. Evac and recharged ac system.

Then 5 months later at 140k miles these are exact notes - Need diag time to locate leak. ~ ~ ~ ~140601 evac and recharge 100 complete evac and recharge of ac system. Found leak at the front evaporator core and the ac compressor is also starting to make a knocking noise. Client waiting on repairs for now.

Six months later at 146k miles here are the notes - Client states a/c not cooling, would like is recharged ~ ~ ~ ~146351 evac and recharge ac system 100 noted that last visit leak found from evap core. Recovered 0.24lbs r-134. Charged with 1.69lbs r-134.

10 months later at 158k miles - Client states: ck a/c not cooling properly-seems to only blow cold air at passenger side until the car runs for 15/20 minutes-see previous visit ~ ~ ~ ~158659 low on freon by .87 off pound. Perform evacuate and recharge at this time a/c is working at factory specification. (i recommend to remove a/c evaporator and expansion valve for inspection, a/c compressor is noisy.)

What should I do? If the expected repairs will be less than $1k I would like to buy this vehicle - of course will get it inspected first.

Please give your suggestions.

Regards
Sanjay Goel
Old 11-23-17, 08:25 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Given the number of occurrences of the word "evaporator", I would pass on this vehicle.

The rear one is easy to get to (remove the interior panels and it's right there) but the front requires dash removal, and the labor on that is huge.

Chip H.
Old 11-24-17, 07:59 AM
Ssd108
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your responses kitabel and chiph9 - appreciate that.

One more question - how to identify if the GX470 has a KDSS? Was it part of the air suspension package or was it separate option? I read someplace that KDSS allows the wheel to travel over potholes etc with minimal impact to the vehicle dynamics.

Thanks.
Sanjay
Old 11-24-17, 03:47 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Very few were sold with this expensive option so your chances of seeing one is rare.

Look at the driver's side front sway bar. If you see a hydraulic cylinder like the one on this vehicle (you can see it going up & down at 0:28) then it has it.

Chip H.
Old 11-25-17, 07:12 PM
Ssd108
Driver School Candidate

Default Highway stability question

Read in another forum that the GX470 is not very stable on the highway at speeds in excess of 70 mph and more so if there is some wind. My purpose for getting this vehicle is primarily highway travel. Checking here to see if the above is just one person's perception or there is some actual support for this.

BTW - I currently drive a 2005 Honda Pilot and certain that my Pilot tracks better in high winds than my erstwhile 98 Accord. Hence I am surprised to see this issue called out.

Please share your experience on this. I expect to be driving about 20k miles /year about 70% of that would be high speed highway driving at about 80 mph.

Regards
Sanjay
Old 11-25-17, 07:22 PM
Ssd108
Driver School Candidate

Default Side mirror tilt down feature

This is another issue I am finding quite common in the vehicles I am researching. But searching the forums I could locate only very few threads on this subject and except one most of the threads are quite old.

Something doesn't make sense to me here.

Regards
Sanjay
Old 11-26-17, 08:17 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Austin Texas has the nations highest speed limit on SH-130 at 85 mph. In order to get a solid feel on that road I have to change the suspension setting all the way to full "Sport". If there are crosswinds, it's like any other SUV where it gets blown around some (because of it's high ground clearance and flat sides, it will catch the wind). 70 mph is not a problem - just run the tire pressures at 2 psi over the door sticker. Also pick a tire with a softer compound than the Michelin's that is common on the GX.

Probably the best vehicle I ever owned for highway miles was my 2006 Honda Ridgeline. Great ride, very comfortable, especially with passengers or weight in the bed. I believe that to be so because of it's wheelbase and track width are both larger than the GX470.

Ridgeline: 122" / 67" = 1.82 ratio
GX470: 109" / 62" = 1.75 ratio

And just because it's a great video:

Chip H.

Last edited by chiph9; 11-26-17 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-27-17, 01:43 PM
95rover
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your primary driving is highway at 70+ mph, why not look at an RX-350? Closer to your current Pilot and perhaps closer to what you need?
Old 12-09-17, 01:23 PM
Ssd108
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for your thoughtful responses.
Regarding the RX - my wife has a 2010 RX - but being used to the 05 Pilot, I find that to be awfully short on interior space and keep squirming on long drives. If not the GX, then I may consider a newer Pilot or MDX. However, again, the reason I want to go with Lexus is due to the cabin noise - so a bit afraid to go with the Honda or Acura again.

Couple more questions for folks:
What is preferable, GXs with ML + NAV or without? Are there more issues with the ML system? One thing I don't like is having to go into the NAV to adjust fan speed. So far I was looking more for vehicles with the ML + NAV with the idea to install a bluetooth system like VAIS or GTA kit for audio streaming via bluetooth. But recently I saw someone post a pic in the forum where he installed a nice aftermarket audio system that had bluetooth in a non-ML-NAV GX470. I am not sure but it may have GPS navigation too for $600 installed.

Another update is that on the vehicle regarding which I started this thread - the seller has reduced the asking price from $11k to $9.5k. Does this make it a decent deal now? I suppose it shouldn't take more than $1k to get the AC fixed at a reputable independent shop who is strong in AC diagnostic and repair. Whaddaya all think?
Old 12-09-17, 01:40 PM
Ssd108
Driver School Candidate

More question/s lol

I have 3 07GX470's that are currently on my list in the DFW area. The one I started this thread for has both front and rear shocks replaced with non-adjustable shocks and the rear air bags have also been replaced with springs. Blizzard White - my preferred color. 177k miles and in pretty decent shape. Needs new tires and both front axles are leaking too. Timing belt done at 100k miles. Asking price $9.5k

There is a dealer selling a black 07 with 142k miles - Lexus history shows that front shocks were replaced by Lexus dealership at 77k & 97k miles and then about 130k miles that rear air bags were also replaced. Timing belt done at 90k miles. Asking price $11.2k. Interior color is ivory. My 2nd preferred color combination.

Another dealer selling a 07 with 187k miles - needs new windshield and driver seat leather repair where the stitching has come undone. Timing belt done for the 2nd time at 180k miles and new dashboard installed at 185k miles. New rear airbags installed by Lexus dealer at 132k miles. Not sure if the front / rear shocks are original or replaced with non-adjustable ones.

My key question here is - whether it is preferable to get a vehicle where the air bags have been replaced with springs and shocks replaced with non-adjustable aftermarket shocks?
Is the ride quality the rear air bags and magnetic shocks give way better compared to when these have been replaced with springs and non-adjustable shocks making all those buttons on the center console just decorative items that don't do anything?

Regards
Sanjay
Old 12-09-17, 01:44 PM
Ssd108
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Ssd108
This is another issue I am finding quite common in the vehicles I am researching. But searching the forums I could locate only very few threads on this subject and except one most of the threads are quite old.

Something doesn't make sense to me here.

Regards
Sanjay
No wonder I didn't any response to the question I asked in this post above - since I actually forgot to ask the question.

My question was side mirror issues, pretty much all the GX470's that I am looking at have one problem or the other with side mirrors. Is this such a common issue? Seems like taking the mirror off and re-lubing it solves the issues generally. But in some other cases I notice people have had to replace the motor and in some cases even the ECU for the mirrors.

Is this really such a common issue?
Old 12-10-17, 07:39 AM
JamesF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ssd108
More question/s lol

I have 3 07GX470's that are currently on my list in the DFW area. The one I started this thread for has both front and rear shocks replaced with non-adjustable shocks and the rear air bags have also been replaced with springs. Blizzard White - my preferred color. 177k miles and in pretty decent shape. Needs new tires and both front axles are leaking too. Timing belt done at 100k miles. Asking price $9.5k

There is a dealer selling a black 07 with 142k miles - Lexus history shows that front shocks were replaced by Lexus dealership at 77k & 97k miles and then about 130k miles that rear air bags were also replaced. Timing belt done at 90k miles. Asking price $11.2k. Interior color is ivory. My 2nd preferred color combination.

Another dealer selling a 07 with 187k miles - needs new windshield and driver seat leather repair where the stitching has come undone. Timing belt done for the 2nd time at 180k miles and new dashboard installed at 185k miles. New rear airbags installed by Lexus dealer at 132k miles. Not sure if the front / rear shocks are original or replaced with non-adjustable ones.

My key question here is - whether it is preferable to get a vehicle where the air bags have been replaced with springs and shocks replaced with non-adjustable aftermarket shocks?
Is the ride quality the rear air bags and magnetic shocks give way better compared to when these have been replaced with springs and non-adjustable shocks making all those buttons on the center console just decorative items that don't do anything?

Regards
Sanjay
if you don’t want to lift it, finding one with all factory replaced parts would be nice.

On the 07’s, put the vin on the Lexus service history and find the in service date and find out if you’re still within range for the dash recall.
Old 12-10-17, 08:46 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

You can extend the life of the mirror motors by turning off the "drop down in reverse" feature. Put the mirror selector switch (in the center of the four-way controller) to the center position.

CHip H.
The following 2 users liked this post by chiph9:
JamesF (12-10-17), Ssd108 (12-12-17)
Old 12-12-17, 06:31 PM
Ssd108
Driver School Candidate

That's a good suggestion to not have the mirrors go down everytime one backs out of his garage. Can be switched on on need and then switched off.

What about my other question - how does the ride quality compare between the adjustable shocks and air bags that are factory fitment and after being replaced by normal shocks and springs? Is it justified to pay more for a vehicle that has Lexus dealer replaced shocks and air bags? Or rather preference should be given to vehicles where the shocks and air bag has already been replaced with aftermarket products - since that saves me the cost of converting these down the line anyway.

Thots???

Regards
Sanjay
Old 05-29-19, 08:44 AM
mogaliciou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
Given the number of occurrences of the word "evaporator", I would pass on this vehicle.

The rear one is easy to get to (remove the interior panels and it's right there) but the front requires dash removal, and the labor on that is huge.

Chip H.
i was curious, how do you get to the rear evaporator? is there documentation or a guide for this?

Quick Reply: AC issues in potential buy - how expensive can the repairs get?