GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Best aftermarket Radiator for '06 GX470

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-17, 07:56 AM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Best aftermarket Radiator for '06 GX470

Hey guys, looks like I need a new rad for my 06 GX. I could use some input as to what is the most reliable aftermarket radiator on the market today. I hear good things about the Denso radiator: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....1432805&jsn=10 but that only comes with a 12 month warranty. Another popular brand is the TYC http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....432805&jsn=375. This comes with a lifetime warranty and is cheaper. Let me know what you guys think. TY.
Old 09-09-17, 05:32 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Denso is OEM and good quality.
Old 09-12-17, 10:23 AM
techrep
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tz693
Denso is OEM and good quality.
Then why so many problems with them ?
Old 09-12-17, 11:17 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Because by now some of them are over 13 years old.

Chip H.
Old 09-12-17, 05:35 PM
deeken
Driver

I would not be comfortable putting in a 13+ year old radiator that's been sitting around in my car. A one year warranty does not instill much confidence.
Old 09-13-17, 03:39 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Get a Denso off rockauto
Old 09-13-17, 06:26 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by deeken
I would not be comfortable putting in a 13+ year old radiator that's been sitting around in my car. A one year warranty does not instill much confidence.
You misunderstood - Denso is what was put in at the factory. Denso still makes the replacement radiator. Even if you happen across one that's been sitting on a shelf for 13 years (rare) it hasn't been at operating temperatures and pressures, and hasn't been exposed to any UV light. So it'll be just as good as a freshly made one.

A one-year parts warranty is kind of low-end so far as parts warranties, sure. Ford/Motorcraft and Mopar/Magneti Marelli are offering 2-year warranties on their replacement parts. Honda offers a 1-year warranty.

Chip H.
Old 09-13-17, 08:52 AM
deeken
Driver

Originally Posted by chiph9
You misunderstood - Denso is what was put in at the factory. Denso still makes the replacement radiator. Even if you happen across one that's been sitting on a shelf for 13 years (rare) it hasn't been at operating temperatures and pressures, and hasn't been exposed to any UV light. So it'll be just as good as a freshly made one.

A one-year parts warranty is kind of low-end so far as parts warranties, sure. Ford/Motorcraft and Mopar/Magneti Marelli are offering 2-year warranties on their replacement parts. Honda offers a 1-year warranty.

Chip H.
Ok I got you, but still 1 year warranty? Really? That's pretty poor standard to set by a reputable manufacturer. A few weeks ago I replace the alternator in my car with a remanufactured carquest from Advanced Auto that had a lifetime warranty. I really wanted to get the refub denso but it was almost twice the cost and only had a 1 year warranty. That did not sit well with me. If this alternator dies in two years I can go back into the store and get a new one, but if the denso dies I gotta go buy a new one.
Old 09-13-17, 05:00 PM
MADUFF3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will tell you I bought and installed an all aluminum radiator off of Ebay (insert naysayer comments here) that is produced in China and it came much to my surprise the welds were all good (not pretty in some places) it pressure tested perfectly, I have had it in for about 2 weeks now and about 400 miles in South Texas heat and no issues or leaks. Now I bought an "all Aluminum" radiator because 99% of the time the radiators we have fail on the deal between the "plastic" tank to the aluminum core....probably 99.99% of the time actually... and this will not do that additionally if it does it is rebuildable...unlike a plastic Alum model... for $ 310.00 it is worth it to me!!! new all aluminum radiator
old Rad cracked on the seam between the tank and the core on the driverside
New one installed, took about 1.5 hours, not too bad at all anyone can do this.
another shot of the installed rad
Old 09-13-17, 07:23 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Maduff3 - you seem brave

I would have been concerned about either fit, quality or even ultimately getting the item if I ordered an all aluminum radiator from E bay, shipped from China. Not to many years ago I would have no way. I bet you have prompted others to think about taking door route.. I just replaced my radiator with the very plebeian Denso 221-312 radiator ordered from Amazon. Think about the contrast between your purchase and mine.

Once I pulled the radiator out and really paid attention to the plastic ends I immediately saw this is as a weakness and that someday expansion and contraction is going to great a problem with this design. So I decided to replace my radiator as a maintenance item knowing the radiator is of suspect design. . I pulled it out and once the fan shroud was off I saw a one inch long portion of the joint oozing.coolant. No problem, just makes me even happier I was replacing. .
Old 09-13-17, 08:28 PM
MADUFF3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aljodoro
I would have been concerned about either fit, quality or even ultimately getting the item if I ordered an all aluminum radiator from E bay, shipped from China. Not to many years ago I would have no way. I bet you have prompted others to think about taking door route.. I just replaced my radiator with the very plebeian Denso 221-312 radiator ordered from Amazon. Think about the contrast between your purchase and mine.

Once I pulled the radiator out and really paid attention to the plastic ends I immediately saw this is as a weakness and that someday expansion and contraction is going to great a problem with this design. So I decided to replace my radiator as a maintenance item knowing the radiator is of suspect design. . I pulled it out and once the fan shroud was off I saw a one inch long portion of the joint oozing.coolant. No problem, just makes me even happier I was replacing. .
No worries, my take is our GX, 4 runner and I even believe the FJ take the very same radiator... mine was constructed in China like most everything in our country (sadly) how we the seller had over 10k feedback with 98% positive and had a posted return policy... given that I felt I could spend 200 to 300+ on a stock or OEM or go all out for not that much more and if there were defects I could have it repaired... most likely an aluminium rad will out last the other components. I'm glad you got what worked for you, that is the important part!
Old 10-10-17, 11:03 AM
artinist
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that all aluminum radiator was not easy to find and its not cheap. $300
here is the info in case anyone else interested:

Seller information

winner_racing_international

http://www.ebay.com/itm/aluminum-rad...-/252810968826
The following users liked this post:
GXONE (01-12-18)
Old 10-10-17, 02:41 PM
MADUFF3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by artinist
that all aluminum radiator was not easy to find and its not cheap. $300
here is the info in case anyone else interested:

Seller information

winner_racing_international

http://www.ebay.com/itm/aluminum-rad...-/252810968826

Should've asked, I could have provided, glad you found it... all good still, no leaks or defects.
Old 10-11-17, 03:20 PM
artinist
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MADUFF3
Should've asked, I could have provided, glad you found it... all good still, no leaks or defects.

Thanks, did you have to drill for the shroud holes? look like the holes are not there in the picture.
Old 10-11-17, 05:02 PM
MADUFF3
Driver School Candidate

yes I did, I drilled them one size too small and was going to tap them but the aluminium was soft the bolt cut their own threads. easy
The following users liked this post:
GXONE (01-12-18)

Quick Reply: Best aftermarket Radiator for '06 GX470