GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Choosing between 2005 & 2007 GX470

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-17, 07:17 PM
Ssd108
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing between 2005 & 2007 GX470

Good Evening folks,

Newbie here and this is my first post. Owned a 3rd gen ES (1998) many years ago along with same year V6 Accord. However, I don't remember sound proofing of the cabin having such a pronounced difference between the two. Have been driving a 2005 Honda Pilot since 2012 and put on a lot of highway miles - touching almost 300k miles now. Earlier this summer got a 1999 ES300 for my son for his first car and was amazed at the difference in driving experience between the Lexus and my Honda Pilot. Hence decided to ditch my Pilot and change to an older model GX470 - would like to keep my budget under $15k.

Having trouble deciding which year model to get. In 2005 the GX got few updates including a VVT-i engine and some NAV updates I think. One of my main requirements is to be able to play my audio from my phone through bluetooth through the vehicle sound system in addition to being able to talk handsfree using the car bluetooth. Seems like there were some electronics updates for the 2007 model year but I am not able to find any details on it. Did that add streaming audio from phone to car speakers via bluetooth? Can't find an answer to this. What other updates were there in the 2007 model? Is it worth putting extra cash for the 2007 model?

So far based on my knowledge of the RX and ES models, I am guessing the the electronics updates may have been the ability to play MP3 discs in addition to CD audio discs and an Aux jack. Is my understanding correct? Anything else? If even in the 2007 model streaming audio via bluetooth was not there, then I would be installing one of the aftermarket bluetooth units (VAIS or GTS or similar). If that is the case, then is there any value in going for the 2007 model over the 2005 model?

Also - anything I should watch out for when looking for these models?

Thanks for reading - and especially for responding.

Hare Krishna!
Old 09-04-17, 07:47 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I have a 2005 GX, and the Bluetooth connectivity is limited to phone connections. I could be mistaken, but I believe that the 2007 GX allows for connections of devices via an Aux jack, but it still doesn't allow for Bluetooth connectivity with devices other than phones.

My 2005 GX only has about 65,000 miles on it. The body has no rust, dents, dings, etc., the interior is virtually perfect, and the vehicle has been trouble free for the 12 years that I've owned it. Earlier this year, I was considering selling it and replacing it with a smaller AWD vehicle. My main motivation for doing so would be to have more recent safety technology, including blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning, a collision prevention system, etc., and better fuel economy would be a bonus. After spending several months considering and evaluating current models of various SUVs and crossover vehicles, I haven't found any that I really like better than my GX. So, I recently decided to spend the money to replace the timing belt and water pump and to keep the GX for the foreseeable future. It really is a great vehicle. If you are looking for a vehicle whose cabin is well-isolated from wind, road, and engine noise, and that has a firm but comfortable ride, the Generation 1 GX is hard to beat. And, if you can find one with reasonable mileage and in good condition, I think that there is real value for their going prices.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited by lesz; 09-04-17 at 07:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ssd108 (09-04-17)
Old 09-04-17, 08:04 PM
OpIvy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lesz is right about the bluetooth connection, its for phone calls only. Heres the website I used to compare model years when I was buying my GX, http://www.toyota120.com/html/lexus_gx470.html
The following 2 users liked this post by OpIvy:
JimboVA (10-13-17), Ssd108 (09-04-17)
Old 09-05-17, 08:30 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Many owners of the older GX that want Bluetooth streaming use the Grom Audio or Vaistech add-on modules. They're reasonably easy to install (take dash apart, find a place to Velcro the box, plug in cables) and work with nearly all modern phones (your mileage may vary - see their sites for a list of supported phones).

Chip H.
Old 09-05-17, 08:52 AM
Ssd108
Driver School Candidate

Thanks lesz and OpIvy for your responses. I would highly appreciate if someone who has the 2007 and later model with Bluetooth confirm that there is no audio streaming possible with the factory bluetooth functionality.
It does look like that to me thus far based on my research.

Another question - I test drove a nice (but 186k miles) 2005 model with Navi + Bluetooth yesterday. Noticed that the trip computer is not directly on the instrument panel but at the top middle of dash. Is it possible to operate (flip through) the trip computer from the steering wheel controls? It seemed disconcerting to lean forward to flip through the tiny buttons on the trip computer - and especially more so when driving. Was there any change to this in the 2007 and later models?

Hare Krishna!
Old 09-05-17, 09:08 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ssd108

Another question - I test drove a nice (but 186k miles) 2005 model with Navi + Bluetooth yesterday. Noticed that the trip computer is not directly on the instrument panel but at the top middle of dash. Is it possible to operate (flip through) the trip computer from the steering wheel controls? It seemed disconcerting to lean forward to flip through the tiny buttons on the trip computer - and especially more so when driving. Was there any change to this in the 2007 and later models?

Hare Krishna!
The trip computer can only be operated via the buttons in front of the trip computer at the center of the dash. I believe that this is true for all years of the Generation 1 GX.

Even though that location may not be ideal, I don't consider it to be an issue. The trip computer location makes it very easy to read with a quick movement of the eye and without having to turn one's head, and using the buttons is actually a very easy reach.
Old 09-05-17, 10:58 PM
bulletguy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks lesz and OpIvy for your responses. I would highly appreciate if someone who has the 2007 and later model with Bluetooth confirm that there is no audio streaming possible with the factory bluetooth functionality.

Hare Krishna!
No audio playback via Bluetooth on stock audio system only phone calls in my 07 gx470. It does have 6 disk changer and it plays mp3. FYI
Old 09-06-17, 10:35 AM
95rover
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd buy the one in the best condition that meets your needs. Service history helps to figure out what needs to be done so you can avoid surprises. My main requirement was rear a/c as I schlep my 3 dogs a lot. Buy what you can afford and have money leftover to budget for a new head unit or whatever you want. There is a ton you can change on these to suit your needs.
Old 09-06-17, 12:26 PM
Ssd108
Driver School Candidate

Thank you 95rover. Both the 05 and 07 I am looking at have equally high high miles (185k) and have very good service records that I pulled by adding the VIN#'s under my profile on the Lexus Owners site - I suppose most folks on this forum would already know this - but if not, this is a very handy tool that provides all work done on the vehicle at all Lexus dealerships across the country. The 05 timing belt and water pump were changed at 125k miles and the 07 had it changed at 180k miles.

You open a new perspective regarding Bluetooth by mentioning the possibility of a new head unit. Usually I prefer to keep my vehicles in the same state as they came from the factory. However, in this case, I was considering adding a Bluetooth car kit (Grom Audio or Vaistech or GTA car kit) to add streaming functionality.

Can someone who has replaced the head unit on a 1st gen GX (05 or 07) model comment on which brand and models they went with and what are the good places to get this work done? How do you like it after doing this upgrade? Are you fully satisfied with the performance and functionality of the new head unit? What additional features does it provide?

Hare Krishna!
Old 09-06-17, 12:55 PM
Ssd108
Driver School Candidate

My initial motivation for moving from my 05 Honda Pilot to the GX came from driving my son's newly acquired first car - a 1999 Lexus ES300 which drives so so so smooth compared to my well maintained Pilot. When I test drove the 05 GX470 earlier this week, I did not feel the smoothness that I feel in the older ES my son has. Is it just my imagination or is the ES way more smoother than the GX? Is this just coz the GX is a SUV and drives like one?

For some reason, in my short 10 - 15 minute test drive of the GX, I did not get the feeling of the GX being much quieter than my Pilot. Other than the smoothness of a Lexus I am looking for a quieter cabin - meaning much lower road noise - which contributes to drivers fatigue in my Pilot. Looking for comments from experienced folks here.

Hare Krishna!
Old 09-06-17, 01:59 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Hare Krishna!
i have a 2009...only phone streams. I plug iPhone into AUX with jack to listen to music
Old 09-06-17, 07:23 PM
95rover
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to stay with Toyota/Lexus then try an RX3xx. Otherwise you are talking about buying used German... fun but more to maintain.
Old 09-08-17, 06:01 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

The GX is a body-on-frame SUV so it's not going to be as smooth as the unibody ES. Trade-offs, right? Excellent off-road capability vs. some additional NVH.

That being said, any Lexus is going to be quieter than a Honda - they're known for having lots of road noise (source: I have owned 3 Hondas in the past)

Chip H.
Old 09-08-17, 06:25 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chiph9
The GX is a body-on-frame SUV so it's not going to be as smooth as the unibody ES. Trade-offs, right? Excellent off-road capability vs. some additional NVH.

Chip H.
As the owner of both a Generation 1 GX and a Generation 6 ES, I can say that, while the GX has a firmer ride than the ES, the GX is actually quieter, on some road surfaces, than is the ES. Both vehicles have excellent cabin sound isolation from engine and wind noise, and, on a smooth road surface, both have excellent cabin sound isolation from road noise, but, on a less than smooth road surface, the GX is actually noticeably quieter than the ES. I suspect that this is because of the much higher profile tires on the GX.

Hare Krishna!
Originally Posted by lesz
The trip computer can only be operated via the buttons in front of the trip computer at the center of the dash. I believe that this is true for all years of the Generation 1 GX.

Even though that location may not be ideal, I don't consider it to be an issue. The trip computer location makes it very easy to read with a quick movement of the eye and without having to turn one's head, and using the buttons is actually a very easy reach.
As a follow-up to my earlier post about the location of the information display on the GX, when I was driving the GX yesterday, I paid more attention to how far the buttons for information display are from the driver. What I found is that I can reach those buttons without having lean forward at all. Of course, if your arms are shorter or if you have the seat pushed further back than where I have my seat positioned, you might have to lean forward a couple of inches to be able to reach those buttons, but, even though steering wheel buttons would be better, the location of the buttons on the GX shouldn't be either inconvenient or distracting from safe driving.
Old 09-08-17, 12:12 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

I'm tall, so my seat is further back and I have to lean forward to use the info-system buttons. Which doesn't really matter - I regularly only use the outside temperature display, and will rarely use the distance-to-empty one. Altitude, air pressure, etc. -- don't care.

Chip H.

Quick Reply: Choosing between 2005 & 2007 GX470