GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Slow acceleration didn't pass emission test

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-17, 07:08 AM
Ericcb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow acceleration didn't pass emission test

I am buying a 2007 Lexus GX 470 today, with 114 K miles, (no spark plugs change or water pump change) didn’t pass emissions test last February 2007 and Dealer will pass emission test before I buy it, but I notice that the card had slow response to acceleration ( It almost feel like to heavy, compare to the other 3 same cars that I drive), could this be due to a catalytic issue or mostly tune up.
I am closing the deal today any suggestions.
thanks
Old 06-27-17, 07:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericcb
I am buying a 2007 Lexus GX 470 today, with 114 K miles, (no spark plugs change or water pump change) didn’t pass emissions test last February 2007 and Dealer will pass emission test before I buy it, but I notice that the card had slow response to acceleration ( It almost feel like to heavy, compare to the other 3 same cars that I drive), could this be due to a catalytic issue or mostly tune up.
I am closing the deal today any suggestions.
thanks

Welcome to CL.

Since you're in mile-high Denver, part of the acceleration problem could be the thin air lowering the engine's power....that is often a problem, without a turbo, in high-altitude Western areas, though it wouldn't necessarily explain the more-normal acceleration of the other three cars you mention, unless they are turbos. Also, since it didn't pass emissions, you might (?) be looking at a plugged-up catalyst. Is the Check-Engine light on? Also, keep in mind that the GX is heavy by its very nature (truck-based, with a body-on-frame design), and, even under the best of conditions, is not going to accelerate or handle like a more sport-oriented sedan.
Old 06-27-17, 07:29 AM
Ericcb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to CL.

Since you're in mile-high Denver, part of the acceleration problem could be the thin air lowering the engine's power....that is often a problem, without a turbo, in high-altitude Western areas, though it wouldn't necessarily explain the more-normal acceleration of the other three cars you mention, unless they are turbos. Also, since it didn't pass emissions, you might (?) be looking at a plugged-up catalyst. Is the Check-Engine light on? Also, keep in mind that the GX is heavy by its very nature (truck-based, with a body-on-frame design), and, even under the best of conditions, is not going to accelerate or handle like a more sport-oriented sedan.

thanks.
No check-engine light, Last week I drove 3 similar vehicles and it is different felling on the response time to acceleration, my biggest concerns are the possibility of a plugged-up catalyst, if I take the car to a muffle a certified mechanic can they tell if something mayor could be on my way after buy the car?
the dealers states that they will pass the emotion test before I buy the car, but that may just be a temporally fix.
thanks again.
Old 06-27-17, 07:47 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think it would pass emission test if the cat is bad....plus check eng light would prob be on too.

also, you would be getting even worse mpg, long time to start too.
Old 06-27-17, 09:15 AM
NMBruce
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the dealer going to fix what's need to pass or just put a sticker on? To me, something does seem right, as you said it doesn't have the power of the others and you will put another $800-1000 into it for TB, water pump kit and labor. I would need to see some repair work and bad parts or it Better be a GREAT deal or I would walk
Old 06-27-17, 10:45 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

I doubt a dealer would risk their emissions station certificate from the state in order to make a sale, so they probably already know what the problem is and are pretty sure they can put parts on it to fix it.

I would ask more questions about what their repair would be.

Chip H.
Old 06-27-17, 11:02 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

NO way I would buy this----Think I would PASS up this whole deal--doesnt sound right and you may be putting lots more money into this.....go find another one
Old 06-27-17, 01:08 PM
Ericcb
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks

Originally Posted by chiph9
I doubt a dealer would risk their emissions station certificate from the state in order to make a sale, so they probably already know what the problem is and are pretty sure they can put parts on it to fix it.

I would ask more questions about what their repair would be.

Chip H.
I thank all of your great information

I took the car to a certified muffler mechanic they found nothing and better they did not charge me nothing.

Car is good and I take it to the emission test myself before returned to the dealer, and pass emitions without problems.

Thanks
Old 06-28-17, 08:07 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Make sure the check engine light works! I have seen them taped over, shorted out on purpose, even black sharpie marker to black them out!
Old 06-28-17, 08:12 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Bring it somewhere for a purchase inspection!
Old 06-28-17, 10:40 PM
NMBruce
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericcb
I thank all of your great information

I took the car to a certified muffler mechanic they found nothing and better they did not charge me nothing.

Car is good and I take it to the emission test myself before returned to the dealer, and pass emitions without problems.

Thanks
so what did the dealer do to fix the GX?
Old 07-01-17, 11:32 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

In addition to catalytic clogs, a failing MAF sensor can cause the same thing, often without throwing a code. I would suspect the dealer replaced the MAF.