GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Fitting BT45-TOY. Need some guidance on Radio removal (w/nav)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-17, 03:00 PM
overland
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting BT45-TOY. Need some guidance on Radio removal (w/nav)

I am going to fit BT45-TOY. I was looking at youtube videos for radio removal(With Navigation), and the only video/guide I could find was for a 2003.
Is Navigation/Radio removal same for 2005 also? IF not, is there a guide on how to do it.

I would also like to know how to put the Navigation in shipping mode. I know how to do it for non-nav, but could not find the details for NAV models.
Last but not the least, the roof has a DVD player. Does it mean its a RSE model without mp3? When did mp3 support appear? Mine is early 2005 model. The reason I ask this is that if I have "RSE" it means I need a BT-TOYR cable which is about 35$.

Going to a shop to install the BT45-TOY would cost about 350$ Extra, and its plug and play with no wire splicing needed. So I guess I would do it myself.
Old 06-19-17, 04:16 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 2003 and am getting ready to install also. 03 to 05 is the same.
What is shipping mode??????????
If you have a rear screen you have RSE, I actually have a extra TOYR cable I bought because crutchfield was taking too long make me a offer. Not sure when bluetooth came out.
What is shipping mode??? lol
Old 06-19-17, 06:59 PM
ShellyGX
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Someone on another thread here about installing said they did it in 15 minutes. Looking at the youtubes you need to do considerable work to get the head unit out just to plug in the cord. I wonder if you could remove the glove box liner and reach in behind the radio and plug it in. It is the closest plug to that side.
Old 06-19-17, 08:10 PM
overland
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
I have a 2003 and am getting ready to install also. 03 to 05 is the same.
What is shipping mode??????????
If you have a rear screen you have RSE, I actually have a extra TOYR cable I bought because crutchfield was taking too long make me a offer. Not sure when bluetooth came out.
What is shipping mode??? lol
I don't know. I saw a non-nav install, and there the guy said you have to put the unit in shipping mode before unplugging. There is a sticker on the non nav unit on how to put in shipping mode. So I wondered if there is a shipping mode setup for nav too!
Old 06-20-17, 01:27 PM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Here is the video I used as a guide to install my BT45-TOY.

What is good about the BT45-TOY is that you can still use the 5 disc CD player and all other inputs. I think I set the first dip settings to ON.
Old 06-20-17, 03:31 PM
dkpnkc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't put this unit in but I did recently install an iPod/SiriusXM adapter. Here's my sage advice - be super careful removing the wood trim pieces. Do a check on how much those puppies are, even used, and you'll get why... I cracked a tab and after searching for replacements I reinstalled it as best as I can.

Regarding the shipping mode - I didn't do that on my 2007 & I had no problems.
Old 06-20-17, 05:48 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Yes you can run the wires to the glove box. The previous owner had a ipod connector ran to the radio to the glove box. I found a flush mount dual 2.1a usb connector and am replacing the cig lighter with either the flush connector from the BT45 which has the 3.5mm and 1 amp usb or the dual 2.2 usb charging ports, the other is going to replace the charging port next to the heated seat controls, I think. IDK why it took me forevrer to find a dual 2. and 2.1 usb charging port, most were the 1 amp and then the 2.1.
Old 06-21-17, 01:26 PM
overland
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips. Will document my install with pictures. Any pointers on where to put microphone. Don't want it to be sticking out, however right behind the panel it may not catch sounds very well. AC vents will be too noisy
Old 06-23-17, 09:39 PM
overland
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deeken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRwIu7GmiyM

What is good about the BT45-TOY is that you can still use the 5 disc CD player and all other inputs. I think I set the first dip settings to ON.
Do you have RSE? Did you use the CAS cable which comes with it or directly plugged it in to the radio?
Old 06-25-17, 01:43 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Run the microphone up the right A pillar and over along the headliner mounting with the double sided tape behind the rear view mirror, wont even see it. , thats what I am going to do. Oh and take off the black sponge "filter" that looks so dated!!!

If you have RSE, you need to order the BT-TOYR cable!!!!!!! I have a extra 1 if somebody is interested, brand new from crutchfield. Cable and shipping around 35 bucks. IF they are in stock! I have a extra 1 brand new, if you are interested, msg me. obviously I will sell it cheaper!

USA Spec BT-TOYR

Connect the USA SPEC BT45-TOY Bluetooth® adapter to the factory radio in select 2001-2006 Toyota and Lexus vehicles with RSE

Old 06-27-17, 10:07 PM
overland
Driver School Candidate

Okay I fitted it without BT-TOYR. It works great. FM radio also works. Don't care about DVD though(not sure if it even works)
Old 07-29-17, 09:09 AM
ShellyGX
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Installed the BT45-TOY. We have a 2004 GX470 with rear seat entertainment. I did get the cable needed for rear seat entertainment.

I used the the directions in this video. No need to do anything with the glove box or CD changer. Used the video for info on pulling panels and the 4 10mm bolts. I found removing the left a/c vent panel with the hazard switch was helpful, pull the wire to the hazards and remove. That allows easier view routing the mic cable past the ignition. The other side with the airbag wires I just pushed aside without disconnecting.

I put the mic at top left windshield. Carefully pushed the wire behind the pillar panel without removing. Lifted the 1.5 X 6 inch trim panel at left drivers knee. It pulls straight up with 2 clips easy. Under that panel is a 10mm bolt that frees up the plastic trim that goes under the steering wheel. Just lifted enough to get the mic wire through. Then wire goes loose under the steering wheel and can then go over ignition to back of radio.

I left the the BT-45 TOY box in behind where the dash lighter door is under where the radio is. Don't plan on using USB charging from it. Thought about running an aux wire I could get to but can't think of a need.

It it was an easy install using the second half of the video and not touching the glove box

I used the first CDC dip switches that it comes with.

Works great, auto connects when the car starts
Old 08-08-17, 10:35 AM
808luvah
Driver School Candidate

I have an BT-45 TOY that I installed and didn't like. Wiring harness and microphone included. $100 + shipping for first taker. PM me.
Old 08-29-18, 11:14 AM
Scooterp
Driver School Candidate

Default Bt 45

Originally Posted by 808luvah
I have an BT-45 TOY that I installed and didn't like. Wiring harness and microphone included. $100 + shipping for first taker. PM me.
Do you still have the unit? What did you not line about it. Thanks.

Scott Prince
Old 12-10-20, 08:51 PM
Bengal
Driver School Candidate

I know this is pretty old but do you remember what full dip switch settings you used? I’m hoping to retain use of my 5 disc CD changer. Any info greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: Fitting BT45-TOY. Need some guidance on Radio removal (w/nav)