GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

VSC Off light comes and off under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 08:10 PM
Jeckel30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSC Off light comes and off under acceleration

I have spent the last few hours searching and can't find any answers related to my problem. Everything I find is related to check engine, VSC Trac, and VSC off light.

I purchased a used 2004 GX470 with 129k that is in great condition. Just recently I get the VSC Off light coming on and off when I accelerate. It usually happens when I accelerate going up a hill or accelerate harder. The light will come on for a few seconds and then turn off. No other lights or codes. I am not sure what direction to take with this problem. It seems like it wouldn't be related to the common gas cap problem? Maybe wheel sensors? Crawling under they look ok with no obvious problems. Any ideas?
Old 05-23-17, 05:56 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I haven't seen this. Maybe get the codes read?

Chip H.
Old 05-23-17, 07:37 AM
Jeckel30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
I haven't seen this. Maybe get the codes read?

Chip H.
If there is no check engine light, will there be codes?
Old 05-23-17, 08:46 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO this is supposed to be like that. If you are accelerating hard on gravel or any loose dirt mud or SNOW, ATRAC will kick in . You didn't mentioned but i assume that Traction Control Light also comes on and OFF with VSC. If it doesn't happen during normal driving i.e. Normal acceleration and doesn't stay ON all the time then you don't have nothing to worry about.
Old 05-23-17, 09:41 AM
Jeckel30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sheikhmax
IMO this is supposed to be like that. If you are accelerating hard on gravel or any loose dirt mud or SNOW, ATRAC will kick in . You didn't mentioned but i assume that Traction Control Light also comes on and OFF with VSC. If it doesn't happen during normal driving i.e. Normal acceleration and doesn't stay ON all the time then you don't have nothing to worry about.
It happens during normal driving. It happens while accelerating up hills or if I have to press the gas a little harder to pass a car, etc. It is only the VSC Off light and not not the traction control light.
Old 05-23-17, 10:53 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeckel30
It happens during normal driving. It happens while accelerating up hills or if I have to press the gas a little harder to pass a car, etc. It is only the VSC Off light and not not the traction control light.
This problem is definitely unique.

Can you explain a little what led up to this problem or it just started happening.

I would suggest try resetting the ECU and see if you get the same problem again.

Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for 10 minutes and then re-connect. You'll have to initialize the power windows afterwards.

Hope it helps.
Old 05-23-17, 11:45 AM
Jeckel30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sheikhmax
This problem is definitely unique.

Can you explain a little what led up to this problem or it just started happening.

I would suggest try resetting the ECU and see if you get the same problem again.

Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for 10 minutes and then re-connect. You'll have to initialize the power windows afterwards.

Hope it helps.
The first time it happened was driving down a super mild dirt road to a cabin. No hard bumps or anything happened that I think would cause it. I just assumed it happened due to losing traction but then later realized it was just the VSC Off light and not the traction light once it started happening more. Since then it happens every time I drive it.

I will try and reset the ECU. Could this also be something related to Zero Point calibration?
Old 05-23-17, 01:02 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

I don't think its related to Zero Point Calibration but its also possible something might have come lose while you were on the Dirt Road.
Old 05-23-17, 04:46 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Do you still have the battery hold-down? Is it snug?

Chip H.
Old 05-29-17, 03:25 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

What condition are all of your tires in, tread depthness wise? I learned as this being my first 4 wheel drive, the tread needs to be matching or very close because everything turns in sync. Another thing you may want to do is, as someone already stated, check for soft codes. Another thought, ABS sensor? Picked up/was interfered with something to make it inermittently not communicate signal right. I seen cars that the sensors are in and working properly, took a plastic mallet and tap them very lightly and no more issue. Please ler us know what you find