GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Hello, my first post here, looking at a used GX470 in Bay area have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-17, 01:39 AM
overland
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, my first post here, looking at a used GX470 in Bay area have a few questions

Hello everyone. I am looking at a used 4x4 to be used as an overland rig to drive all over the western USA. I was earlier thinking of the 4runner, but somehow the Prado feels better and more value for money
I am looking at 2005+ vehicles with about 150-160K miles on the odo and around 14000$ price range max.

Can you give some advice on the following points?
1. I read the forums, and there is advice floating around that I should not get the top end model with the navi as it cannot be replaced with aftermarket unit? Is it correct? I actually want the Sunroof, but apparently models which have sunroof also have the navi
2. Transmission issues - They can be expensive. Is there something I need to look at. Am used to Manual transmission cars and can tell when something is wrong with clutch of synchronizers, however, I am pretty clueless about Autos. What should I check for?
3. Suspension Air bags - I plan to get them removed and get enough lift to 275/70R17 tires (32") on stock rims. Any recommended shops in Bay area which sell kits and also install that as I do not have access to lift and ramp. What is the total cost? Doable under 700-800$ including labor? Will it be a 2" lift or more?
4. Replacing head unit : Want something capable of doing USB and Bluetooth streaming. What is the common replacement in case there is a sunroof model without Navi Audio
5. Good reliable shops for servicing/repair/mods in the Bay area (San Jose/Santa Clara etc.,)
6. With 32" tires how to recalibrate speedometer?

Last edited by overland; 05-17-17 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-18-17, 08:24 AM
dkpnkc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome. I can only give an answer to #1. #2 and #3 aren't issues with mine (knock on wood) so far - the previous owner had everything done at Lexus and most everything was addressed before I bought it.

From someone who didn't do enough investigation prior to buying I can say that I wish I would have stayed away from Nav. BTW - Nav changed in 2007 so 2007+ are easier to update the maps. You cannot replace the head unit unless you pull the CD player, throw the tape deck in that spot, and then install a single DIN unit. That way you can utilize the climate controls (and others) while having a new stereo. I think that would look horrible so I'm not doing it personally. I would have preferred to find a non-Nav and throw in a nice double DIN with Carplay. I personally would have given up the Sunroof in a heartbeat. I think whatever head unit you picked out would be based on your personal preferences, but hopefully others will comment on what they installed.

BTW - I have searched on the speedometer issue and I've seen some get theirs re-calibrated - but how I'm not 100% sure.

Sorry couldn't be anymore help.
Old 05-18-17, 03:36 PM
JLee50
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by overland
Hello everyone. I am looking at a used 4x4 to be used as an overland rig to drive all over the western USA. I was earlier thinking of the 4runner, but somehow the Prado feels better and more value for money
I am looking at 2005+ vehicles with about 150-160K miles on the odo and around 14000$ price range max.

Can you give some advice on the following points?
1. I read the forums, and there is advice floating around that I should not get the top end model with the navi as it cannot be replaced with aftermarket unit? Is it correct? I actually want the Sunroof, but apparently models which have sunroof also have the navi
2. Transmission issues - They can be expensive. Is there something I need to look at. Am used to Manual transmission cars and can tell when something is wrong with clutch of synchronizers, however, I am pretty clueless about Autos. What should I check for?
3. Suspension Air bags - I plan to get them removed and get enough lift to 275/70R17 tires (32") on stock rims. Any recommended shops in Bay area which sell kits and also install that as I do not have access to lift and ramp. What is the total cost? Doable under 700-800$ including labor? Will it be a 2" lift or more?
4. Replacing head unit : Want something capable of doing USB and Bluetooth streaming. What is the common replacement in case there is a sunroof model without Navi Audio
5. Good reliable shops for servicing/repair/mods in the Bay area (San Jose/Santa Clara etc.,)
6. With 32" tires how to recalibrate speedometer?
1) I have never seen a GX without a sunroof...however, both of mine have had nav as well.
2) I have yet to see a transmission failure in a GX.
3) MetalTech4x4 and SouthernStyleOffroad both sell coil conversion kits. Anyone else out there selling a conversion kit may very well be re-selling MetalTech's, as I believe they had the first one out there.
4) There's a China-brand Prado head unit that's been pretty popular - I don't know a specific model #, though.
5-6) No idea. My speedometer is about 5% off with 255/75R17's.

This may be helpful for you: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gx470-faq.983279/
Old 05-19-17, 12:43 PM
Dmeadow
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Finding the right one without Nav will be a challenge-- most seem to have it. Forget an aftermarket stereo if you have it. I've got an '08 with the 5th gen nav and it is clunkier than your average smart phone with Google Maps and requires a DVD based update that can be expensive (if you don't buy a bootleg version). I'd avoid it if possible, even in the later models.
2) Sniff the fluid, if it smells burnt then run away. Other than that, about all you can do is check the maintenance history for regular changes. As JLee50 says, I don't think this is a weak point on these vehicles. You can look up the maintenance history of any Lexus on drivers.lexus.com as long as you have the VIN. Not the most user friendly website. You have to register and find the service history section. It will only have service history done at Lexus dealers. Very useful and sometimes very revealing, however.
3) No se.
4) You can add an aux port (for pre '07 vehicles), bluetooth, and/or USB to any GX, Nav or non-Nav. Vaistech offers some solutions as does usaspec.com. There are probably a couple of others.

Good hunting!
Old 06-16-17, 11:38 PM
overland
Driver School Candidate

Ok Guys I found one and bought it. Paid a little more than I wanted, and got a car little older than I wanted, but having the entire service history from 0-150K miles at authorized dealership was what clinched the deal. Each and every service, every part replacement and every repair was done at Lexus. Over 150000 miles about 22000$ were spent, 15000$ by owner and 7000$ under warranty. They gave me the complete service history. Even the Transmission fluid was done around 140,000kms so I guess we are good till 250K for transmission. There is no clunk issues, the coolant temperature stays low (I connected OBD and ran uphill for quite some time), shifts are good. The car is in mint condition.

Now wondering how to I add an Aux port. Don't want to get rid of original tape dec via Beatsonic. Its with navigation, so I am exploring getting rid of CD changer and adding aux through there.
Old 06-17-17, 04:08 PM
bulletguy
Driver School Candidate

Ok Guys I found one and bought it. Paid a little more than I wanted, and got a car little older than I wanted, but having the entire service history from 0-150K miles at authorized dealership was what clinched the deal. Each and every service, every part replacement and every repair was done at Lexus. Over 150000 miles about 22000$ were spent, 15000$ by owner and 7000$ under warranty. They gave me the complete service history. Even the Transmission fluid was done around 140,000kms so I guess we are good till 250K for transmission. There is no clunk issues, the coolant temperature stays low (I connected OBD and ran uphill for quite some time), shifts are good. The car is in mint condition.

Now wondering how to I add an Aux port. Don't want to get rid of original tape dec via Beatsonic. Its with navigation, so I am exploring getting rid of CD changer and adding aux through there.
Which year and how much?
Old 06-18-17, 01:26 AM
overland
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bulletguy
Which year and how much?
2005 for 12K. 155000 miles done. All work always done at Lexus Dealership. Have driven about a 1000 miles, only think not working is TPMS sensors(Sensors register but the icon keeps blinking)
Old 06-18-17, 04:03 AM
bulletguy
Driver School Candidate

2005 for 12K. 155000 miles done. All work always done at Lexus Dealership. Have driven about a 1000 miles, only think not working is TPMS sensors(Sensors register but the icon keeps blinking)
Congratulation on your new ride. Nice find.
Is it desert sage green color? I saw one with similar mileage at Fremont Lexus.
Old 06-18-17, 11:41 AM
overland
Driver School Candidate

No, its white. I did not see any Desert green while I was there. Must have come in recently. That said, these guys hardly come down on pricing. True for all dealers. I went multiple places offering a lower price, did not get even a single callback. And it was like just 10% lower(still higher than kbb)
Old 06-18-17, 10:42 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like a decent find. I use the SL3B for bluetooth audio. Sound quality is as good as CD, and you can keep your CD changer.
http://www.vaistech.com/product/sl3b-l/
Old 06-19-17, 02:55 PM
overland
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LoneHiker
Sounds like a decent find. I use the SL3B for bluetooth audio. Sound quality is as good as CD, and you can keep your CD changer.
http://www.vaistech.com/product/sl3b-l/
I am going with the BT45-TOY
Phone call quality on stock system is not good. So might as well get the BT45 and get aux port support also
Old 07-01-17, 05:56 AM
gtbguy
Driver School Candidate

Check your spare tire, I had the same problem. In my case, the spare tire had a very small leak and was the reason for setting off the sensor.