GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Radio suddenly sounds terrible

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-17, 11:42 AM
GXLee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio suddenly sounds terrible

Hi all- I've searched forums for hours to get some help on this issue, but can't find anything that matches my problem. My stereo has sounded great since the day I bought my GX, and about a year ago I installed a GROM unit to add Bluetooth. It's all been working perfectly until a week ago when suddenly all of the audio options (FM, AM, Disc, Tape) sound terrible. It reminds me of listening to a radio station that isn't quite tuned- not static, but "garbled". I've use the system check and there's no error on the amp (my first guess), but I do have an error 61-40 on the h/u. Can't seem to find what that means. Anyone out there have a suggestion on how I might resolve? I can upload an audio file if that helps. Thx in advance.
Old 04-03-17, 05:59 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Is it sounding bad from just one set of speakers? Because the foam surround on them will decay with age and then they sound like garbage.

Chip H.
Old 04-03-17, 07:19 AM
GXLee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
Is it sounding bad from just one set of speakers? Because the foam surround on them will decay with age and then they sound like garbage.

Chip H.
Yes all the speakers sound bad so it's for sure something with the radio. I actually replaced the foam surrounds on all the speakers about a year ago so I know what you mean. I didn't mention that the audio from the navigation sounds perfectly fine. Just the sound from the radio is terrible.
Old 04-05-17, 05:25 AM
gwebster
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if this relates to your issue, but just before my alternator went up my subwoofer started sounding terrible. After replacement of alternator, sound improved. I assume it was not getting enough power when the charging system was not functioning properly. You may want to have that checked (I believe Autozone or Advance Auto will check for free)
Old 04-05-17, 05:43 AM
GXLee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gwebster
Not sure if this relates to your issue, but just before my alternator went up my subwoofer started sounding terrible. After replacement of alternator, sound improved. I assume it was not getting enough power when the charging system was not functioning properly. You may want to have that checked (I believe Autozone or Advance Auto will check for free)
Good idea thank you- I'll give that a try too.
Old 04-05-17, 08:16 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So when you travel does the sound improve.. I am guessing it might be the Antenna got messed up. I have radio issue that started after replacing RSES so unless the radio signal is super strong my Radio just sounds horrible.
Old 04-05-17, 08:26 AM
GXLee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sheikhmax
So when you travel does the sound improve.. I am guessing it might be the Antenna got messed up. I have radio issue that started after replacing RSES so unless the radio signal is super strong my Radio just sounds horrible.
Good question- it doesn't improve when traveling because it's actually affecting the CD and Tape sound as well. All of the audio options sound the same so I have to assume the antenna isn't the culprit. But keep the ideas coming thank you!
Old 04-08-17, 07:59 PM
GXLee
Driver School Candidate

Default Solved!

Originally Posted by GXLee
Good question- it doesn't improve when traveling because it's actually affecting the CD and Tape sound as well. All of the audio options sound the same so I have to assume the antenna isn't the culprit. But keep the ideas coming thank you!
Yesterday I disconnected the GROM. Suddenly everything worked great- put back the GROM and it all kept working fine! So just the act of unplugging and re-plugging it all back in seemed to fix the issue. Hopefully it stays that way. Thx everyone.