GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Complete noob oil question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-17, 01:55 PM
Lukasteam
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Complete noob oil question

Hi guy's , now to many this might sound like a complete noob question , but I really want your opinion . I'm looking at the first gen GX470 and the owner says that he oil changes were every 5K miles with conventional oil . He says thats what the Lexus calls for .
This really bothers because IMO conventional oil change intervals should be 3K miles .
....so should I be worried about longevity of the vehicle that ran 5K between the changes with conventional bottom of the barrel oil ?

Last edited by Lukasteam; 03-22-17 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-22-17, 02:10 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

5 K on conventional oil these days is SOP, that being said, many premium synthetic oils, Amsoil, Mobil 1 extended, along with synthetic media filter are good for 1 year or 15K. I adopted that schedule long ago, I've had 2 GX's. The first was an 04, sold it with 200K, never had to even add a at of oil in that 1 year interval, I usually did about 12K/year.
The following users liked this post:
Lukasteam (03-22-17)
Old 03-22-17, 02:13 PM
EddieK05
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep, completely normal. I've been using Mobil1 synthetic in my Accord and GX470 and change it every 10K miles.
Lukasteam (03-22-17)
Old 03-22-17, 03:40 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with these guys. I bought a existing repair shop a while back. In the contract everything was included. I was doing some remodeling and I found a really old unopened oil can, by unopened I mean with a can opener! I asked the previous owner of the shop about it. He said he would show customers the can when they asked about the 3000 3 month oil changes. The can was made by Kendal, which became famous for its 2000 mile oil! I think (don't quote me) in the 30's? Possibly 40'S when oil changes were every 500 miles! He would show people and say, what oil company is going to come out and say, BUY OUR PRODUCT ONCE A YEAR! Although a lot of people know it, some are learning, and some (I can vouch for this group!) It's been stamped in our heads. from advertising and previous generations! Get the oil changed at 3000!
if you want to be sure, get a compression test done, then a leak down test. When I bought mine about 2 years ago it had 100,000 miles, all I did was a good inspection of the body and frame, a long test drive, and took my fingers inside the tail pipe.
The only thing I did not know about was Lexus.com until after I bought it. The previous owner did the maintenance on time, and I bought a truck I am keeping forever!
Oh, also, my old Toyota had over 300,000 miles on it. It was kept up, oil changes every 5k. Never burned oil!
Didn't mean to bore you, just saying if nothing out of the ordinary happened, you are ok! Good luck! Ask the guys on here, very helpful and knowledgeable. No question is dumb. We all have to learn somehow!
Lukasteam (03-23-17)
Old 03-22-17, 09:29 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
I agree with these guys. I bought a existing repair shop a while back. In the contract everything was included. I was doing some remodeling and I found a really old unopened oil can, by unopened I mean with a can opener! I asked the previous owner of the shop about it. He said he would show customers the can when they asked about the 3000 3 month oil changes. The can was made by Kendal, which became famous for its 2000 mile oil! I think (don't quote me) in the 30's? Possibly 40'S when oil changes were every 500 miles! He would show people and say, what oil company is going to come out and say, BUY OUR PRODUCT ONCE A YEAR! Although a lot of people know it, some are learning, and some (I can vouch for this group!) It's been stamped in our heads. from advertising and previous generations! Get the oil changed at 3000!
if you want to be sure, get a compression test done, then a leak down test. When I bought mine about 2 years ago it had 100,000 miles, all I did was a good inspection of the body and frame, a long test drive, and took my fingers inside the tail pipe.
The only thing I did not know about was Lexus.com until after I bought it. The previous owner did the maintenance on time, and I bought a truck I am keeping forever!
Oh, also, my old Toyota had over 300,000 miles on it. It was kept up, oil changes every 5k. Never burned oil!
Didn't mean to bore you, just saying if nothing out of the ordinary happened, you are ok! Good luck! Ask the guys on here, very helpful and knowledgeable. No question is dumb. We all have to learn somehow!
Hi buddy !Where is your shop located in Illinois ? I'm gonna get my 06 GX timing belt and water pump replaced if you are around Chicago area. Thanks !
DiabloX22 (03-24-17)
Old 03-23-17, 06:48 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

The V8 in the GX takes about 6.5 quarts, so there's a lot of oil there to use. I have no problems running 5k intervals, and so far it hasn't burned a drop.

Chip H.
Lukasteam (03-23-17)
Old 03-23-17, 06:50 AM
Lukasteam
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guy's for all the replies . Makes me feel better , I'll ask owner for proof just in case .
Old 03-24-17, 12:49 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

SHYGUYF sold my shop, it was located 5 hours south of Chicago in Carbondale IL I use a shop in Lombard IL who I have talked to and trust, has done a few jobs for me and Ma's Toyota. I have used Woodfield Lexus, I dont recommend them and if I go to a dealer am going to try another 1 I find nearby. Depending on where you are, if Lombard is far, although I will give you a shout out for being close to Chicago! Just to a lot of research on the net, like AAA and repair pal also just googling the shop. Unfortunately there are shops that arent honest and hack jobs, which finding a honest 1 and good 1 difficult. I ran my shop as I wanted customers for life not bend them over and screw them once.
Old 03-24-17, 03:37 PM
chitown40
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3k was always a shop recommendation. Most owner's manuals specified 5k or 7500 miles for oil change intervals.
Lukasteam (03-25-17)
Old 03-25-17, 09:06 AM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
SHYGUYF sold my shop, it was located 5 hours south of Chicago in Carbondale IL I use a shop in Lombard IL who I have talked to and trust, has done a few jobs for me and Ma's Toyota. I have used Woodfield Lexus, I dont recommend them and if I go to a dealer am going to try another 1 I find nearby. Depending on where you are, if Lombard is far, although I will give you a shout out for being close to Chicago! Just to a lot of research on the net, like AAA and repair pal also just googling the shop. Unfortunately there are shops that arent honest and hack jobs, which finding a honest 1 and good 1 difficult. I ran my shop as I wanted customers for life not bend them over and screw them once.
Thanks Diablox22 for the info ! I do all works on my cars but with Timing belt and WP that I have never done it before so a little of hesitation. That's why I need to find a trusted shop to get it done. Sorry for hijacked the thread OP !
I've been changing oil every 2500 miles on my vehicles, 5000 miles on oil filter
Old 03-25-17, 07:17 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shyguyF
Thanks Diablox22 for the info ! I do all works on my cars but with Timing belt and WP that I have never done it before so a little of hesitation. That's why I need to find a trusted shop to get it done. Sorry for hijacked the thread OP !
I've been changing oil every 2500 miles on my vehicles, 5000 miles on oil filter
I agree a timing belt job can be difficult in your garage, some guys can do it no problem, I personally would bring mine somewhere also. Maybe try your local Toyota dealer.
Old 04-01-17, 06:34 AM
Lukasteam
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guy's for all the replies . Turns out the owner wasn't cheap on the vehicle maintenance , he was straight out pathetic. Serviced it at Toyota dealership only twice , other oil changes were done at the tire shop that gave their customers that bought tires free oil changes and tire rotations . I can only imagine what kind of oil tire shop is using for free oil changes . No thanks ... Car reeked smoke , was dirty and full of crumbs inside , dog without a crate has been transported in it and next day I was contacted by a very nice fellow from this forum that checked the car next day after me , plugged in his Lexus scanner and it showed three codes all ABS related and really pricey to fix . Now we both knew why the owner refused to show the car if it was possibility of rain that day .ext day he called him and said that he plugged in his laptop with Lexus code scanner software and deleted the codes , so everything should be fine now . What a joke !!! He also claimed that he has never been off road , but the wheel wells were full of gravel road dirt , well , maybe he doesn't consider gravel off road .
In other words buyer be aware , hate the liar .
Old 04-01-17, 10:26 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

I'm doing 8K kms (5K miles), using a full synthetic oil though. 5K miles is the service interval in the owners manual, no issues there.
Old 04-03-17, 05:58 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Lukasteam - As these vehicles age and their market value drops, unfortunately we're going to see more of that, where the owner refuses to maintain their vehicle. Which, I get. My 2004 is now in the $9000 range so they're going to be bought by people who won't maintain them, and can't afford to maintain them.

So for others looking to buy used, you're going to have to look all that harder to find well-cared-for examples.

Chip H.