GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2006 GX470 rear suspension conversions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-17, 05:50 AM
Lac
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by artinist

so you can have a rear spring conversion for less than $100. this is for stock height.

$12 Moog K160061 Coil Spring Insulator:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031GX3OK..._t1_B002M6BXWY

$12 A&R Sports Ice Hockey Practice Puck, Black - 4 Pack (lower spring perch locator)
https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Hockey.../dp/B008875XYU

$45 Moog 81045 Coil Spring Set
https://www.amazon.com/Moog-81045-Co.../dp/B003YMHDWO
Would you share some pic's on this set up?

Thank you.
Old 04-11-18, 06:19 AM
Napoleon78
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Arnott is the way to go!!! I just did the spring conversion on my 06' GX470. It is perfect ride height.
The following users liked this post:
ArnottInc (03-04-19)
Old 04-11-18, 06:24 AM
Napoleon78
Driver School Candidate

If anyone needs a new set of airsprings for a 1stGen GX470, hit me up. I bought a brand new set and then couldn't get the air hose fitting to release from the old airsprings so had to cut the line to get the old ones out. When I went to Lexus to buy the new air hose, it cost more than the springs!! So I just did the conversion to Arrnot Springs instead. Now I'm stuck with a New set of airsprings. $100 + shipping for anyone that want's them. Still in the plastic. I can send pics.
Old 09-12-18, 05:23 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Has anybody tried 2017/18 LX570 rear coils as a conversion? I can get a set for less than $50 CAD. If they are appropriate I'll grab them and give them a try.
Old 12-20-18, 02:00 PM
sjp2113
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus GX suspension airbag replacement

Originally Posted by jddddasanders
/conversiodddn

Finished the rear coil conversion this past Saturday. I went with the Southern Style Offroad conversion kit, ICON 2" coils, and ICON 2.0 rear shocks. The ride is sooooooooo much better than before with the leaky bags.

I went with a 2" lift because I plan on lifting the front as well.

I don't understand how some of you guys did this conversion with that strutmasters or arnott kit. It looks like you all just have your coil spring sitting on the metal of the axle and just metal on metal of the top of the coil spring resting underneath the frame. These coil springs were not made to just rest on the metal of the axle and frame. You should have upper and lower spring isolators holding the coil in place. These isolators not only help to hold the spring, but they provide secondary shock absorption. It looks like those cheaper conversion kits do not give you either isolator which may come back to bite some of you in the butt as you may not experience as good a ride quality as you should. Or you can end up getting a metal on metal rub which creates a horrible noise.

For those of you who have used either the arnott or the strutmasters kit, how is your ride quality holding up?

I converted to Arnott last year. Ride at first was good then quickly went to crap. Made me go underneath and research part numbers even. I do not know how anybody can tow with this conversion. Packed the wife and kid up for a trip to FL, so had some load with all the clothing and everything.I was bottoming out and ride was so harsh I could not believe it. Sad to say I think I will either go with a lift or a true metal tech type replacement with the isolators and 4runner springs.

Old 01-03-19, 05:50 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sjp2113
I converted to Arnott last year. Ride at first was good then quickly went to crap. Made me go underneath and research part numbers even. I do not know how anybody can tow with this conversion. Packed the wife and kid up for a trip to FL, so had some load with all the clothing and everything.I was bottoming out and ride was so harsh I could not believe it. Sad to say I think I will either go with a lift or a true metal tech type replacement with the isolators and 4runner springs.

Do you think it's possible that your shocks went bad and that's what made the ride quality go down? I was about the order the arnott's but I'm concerned and I'm just thinking through this logically, if ride quality was good at first, what would/could have changed? I'm not sure that the springs just go bad? In terms of bottoming out, I'm planning on installing the SSO kit to raise the rear about 1.25" , do you think that will help? Thanks
Old 01-03-19, 06:44 AM
Gfat87
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggyG
Do you think it's possible that your shocks went bad and that's what made the ride quality go down? I was about the order the arnott's but I'm concerned and I'm just thinking through this logically, if ride quality was good at first, what would/could have changed? I'm not sure that the springs just go bad? In terms of bottoming out, I'm planning on installing the SSO kit to raise the rear about 1.25" , do you think that will help? Thanks

id recommend the isolators. regardless of which kit you go with.
i was so excited to get my lift on, i used the metal tech bases for the conversion and my isolators were not due in for a month or so.
needless to say, when they came in and i put em on, ride was much less harsh. unsure if it has a bit of a dampening effect or what. but it was night and day difference.

regardless of which conversion you go with, id make sure to include the isolators.

And yes, springs can go bad. shouldnt happen fast unless there was a bad heat treat, they were not manufactured to spec, or something of the nature
The following users liked this post:
GreggyG (01-03-19)
Old 01-03-19, 07:23 AM
sjp2113
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gfat87
id recommend the isolators. regardless of which kit you go with.
i was so excited to get my lift on, i used the metal tech bases for the conversion and my isolators were not due in for a month or so.
needless to say, when they came in and i put em on, ride was much less harsh. unsure if it has a bit of a dampening effect or what. but it was night and day difference.

regardless of which conversion you go with, id make sure to include the isolators.

And yes, springs can go bad. shouldnt happen fast unless there was a bad heat treat, they were not manufactured to spec, or something of the nature

My ride is a combination of very harsh with little travel so they bottom out the bumpstops very easily. The highway ride is smooth. But I cringe with small potholes that quite frankly the GX would have ordinarily laughed at.

I gather, the shocks could be bad, but I think the kit is a minimalist (cheap fix) treatment that Arnott came up with. I drive on regular roads to and from work, nothing crazy to cause them to blow out. If they were bad, I would probably be getting allot of bouncing which I do not have. I looked underneath and it does look like the springs "settled" because I only have around 2 inches of travel before I hit the bumpstops in the front and the rear. I only used Arnott kit and what came with it.

She just turned 200,000 with no real concerns. However getting a little long in the tooth.

I will try MT spring isolators, 4R rear bumpstops, and then go to 5100 shocks next. (I did some checking, the shocks are the same for 4runner and FJ).

If it still bottoms out over small woupdedoos, I will possibly go with FJ springs all around. I do not want lift, but my concern is if I go with the 4 runner springs, they will settle to same spots as Arnotts since GX is a little heavier than the 4R.

I wish there was a recepie out there that solidly works so people can use it instead of mish mashing parts together.

What is a SSO kit??

Last edited by sjp2113; 01-03-19 at 07:26 AM. Reason: addition
Old 01-03-19, 11:58 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

My ride is a combination of very harsh with little travel so they bottom out the bumpstops very easily. The highway ride is smooth. But I cringe with small potholes that quite frankly the GX would have ordinarily laughed at.

I gather, the shocks could be bad, but I think the kit is a minimalist (cheap fix) treatment that Arnott came up with. I drive on regular roads to and from work, nothing crazy to cause them to blow out. If they were bad, I would probably be getting allot of bouncing which I do not have. I looked underneath and it does look like the springs "settled" because I only have around 2 inches of travel before I hit the bumpstops in the front and the rear. I only used Arnott kit and what came with it.

She just turned 200,000 with no real concerns. However getting a little long in the tooth.

I will try MT spring isolators, 4R rear bumpstops, and then go to 5100 shocks next. (I did some checking, the shocks are the same for 4runner and FJ).

If it still bottoms out over small woupdedoos, I will possibly go with FJ springs all around. I do not want lift, but my concern is if I go with the 4 runner springs, they will settle to same spots as Arnotts since GX is a little heavier than the 4R.

I wish there was a recepie out there that solidly works so people can use it instead of mish mashing parts together.

What is a SSO kit??
https://www.southernstyleoffroad.com...onversion-kit/
Old 03-03-19, 05:35 PM
0ff1c1al
Driver School Candidate

What is a SSO kit??

Did you have any updates? Im going through same issue with my arnott conversion.

Thanks
Old 03-04-19, 11:06 AM
ArnottInc
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=sjp2113;1038995} I do not know how anybody can tow with this conversion. [/QUOTE]

Arnott strongly recommends not converting to coil springs if towing or if you carry heavy loads on a regular basis. Air springs offer the ability to auto level the rear of your SUV regardless of the weight you are hauling. Coil springs will continue to compress with weight causing your headlights to aim up at night and putting undue pressure on the shocks which will affect both the compression and rebound stroke of the damper.

Old 03-07-19, 09:45 AM
sjp2113
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the late response. My Mechanic was shocked to hear that I had a problem with the Arnott. I am kind of just sticking with it, ride just sucks. I am turning it into my commuter /beater and saving for a Certified Tundra or 4Runner. I do not want to lift it. My Mechanic says I will be in the monthly alignment and balancing club and I park at a garage at work that is 78" so I do not want to push it.

Game plan is I will replace shocks with bilstiens, put the spring isolators in from Metaltech then see.
Old 03-07-19, 10:51 AM
0ff1c1al
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the late response. My Mechanic was shocked to hear that I had a problem with the Arnott. I am kind of just sticking with it, ride just sucks. I am turning it into my commuter /beater and saving for a Certified Tundra or 4Runner. I do not want to lift it. My Mechanic says I will be in the monthly alignment and balancing club and I park at a garage at work that is 78" so I do not want to push it.

Game plan is I will replace shocks with bilstiens, put the spring isolators in from Metaltech then see.
I’m thinking of changing to a stiffer rear spring like the fj coils and add the Firestone airbags when needed. I’m hoping that solves the issue. Hitting minor bumps makes me feel like I’m going to lose the rear end
Old 03-08-19, 07:28 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ff1c1al

I’m thinking of changing to a stiffer rear spring like the fj coils and add the Firestone airbags when needed. I’m hoping that solves the issue. Hitting minor bumps makes me feel like I’m going to lose the rear end
I will have a set of FJ Cruiser rear springs for sale shortly, as I'm going to a full Dobinsons setup. If anyone is interested, let me know.
Old 03-21-19, 09:21 AM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AWilson013 -You mention the passenger side as more of a challenge with the KDSS. I have KDSS what did you have to do to install on the passenger side. Compress the spring? Not sure what you did. Thanks, Al.

Quick Reply: 2006 GX470 rear suspension conversions