GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2006 GX470 rear suspension conversions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-17, 09:57 AM
jasanders
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Upper iso

Originally Posted by NTH
Nice, thanks for the pictures. You have any more pics of the upper isolator in place?

That's the best I could get. I wish I would have taken one before I put my wheels back on.
Old 06-15-17, 05:26 AM
jasanders
Driver School Candidate

Default ICON's Ride Great

Originally Posted by Matsui
It seems the rear coils you are getting will give a 2" lift. How are you planning to level out with the front? Why did you decide to go with icon coils and shocks compared to others? Are they original lexus ride quality, or stiffer? I plan on doing a conversion sometime in future as well and your list seems interesting so I might consider going this route. What I care about is a soft lexus ride so I don't feel all imperfections on the road when driving - currently i have the original lexus springs @145k miles now but recently replaced front and rear shocks with Billstein 5100. The front height is set at the 1st perch so it is perfectly leveled so i love its stance, but the ride is not as smooth as I like because i can feel the road bumps. When I do a conversion what I would really look for is smooth/comfortable ride on the road and leveled front/rear. Already starting to do my research so this info is very helpful.
Just wanted to let you know that the ICON shocks and coils ride amazing. I can't wait to get ICON coilovers for the front. I would say they ride better than stock. Not too firm not too soft.
Old 06-15-17, 09:18 AM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The icons seem like the best quality springs out there but I don't want the 2" lift. What are the next best alternatives springs as far as quality without the lift?
Old 06-15-17, 09:58 AM
jasanders
Driver School Candidate

Default Springs

Originally Posted by deeken
The icons seem like the best quality springs out there but I don't want the 2" lift. What are the next best alternatives springs as far as quality without the lift?
If you don't want to go with a lifted coil, best bet is to use one made for a stock FJ Cruiser or Toyota 4runner. Metal-Tech sells them for like $50. MT also sells a stock height spring that is made by MOOG for like $150 if you want brand new.

https://www.metaltech4x4.com/used-fa...pair-one-pair/
Old 06-16-17, 08:51 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Share the link. I did it like 3 years ago with no issues. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...uspension.html
Old 06-21-17, 03:22 PM
andytran
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 GX470 Strutmasters conversion kit

Hello, I am having an issue where I believe the air spring on the rear of the car is leaking and now I am bouncing all over the place. It would cost too much to get it replace at the dealer. I went ahead and read up on a lot of comments on this forum about Strutmasters conversion kit for this trunk and I was wondering if anyone know of a good local shop in the Houston/Katy area that could get this install. Thank you.
Old 06-22-17, 05:34 AM
jasanders
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by andytran
Hello, I am having an issue where I believe the air spring on the rear of the car is leaking and now I am bouncing all over the place. It would cost too much to get it replace at the dealer. I went ahead and read up on a lot of comments on this forum about Strutmasters conversion kit for this trunk and I was wondering if anyone know of a good local shop in the Houston/Katy area that could get this install. Thank you.
Hello and welcome!

If you are on facebook search GXOR facebook page. Quick answers and very knowledgeable people on there. Huge community of GX owners. I got this info someone just posted on there recently about a guy in the Houston area that does this type of work and is familiar with the GX.

Duggy's Garage
409 Northville St
Houston, TX 77037
(281) 704-4008

Tell them a member of GXOR referred you!

-Josh-
The following users liked this post:
andytran (06-23-17)
Old 06-22-17, 09:30 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jasanders
If you don't want to go with a lifted coil, best bet is to use one made for a stock FJ Cruiser or Toyota 4runner. Metal-Tech sells them for like $50. MT also sells a stock height spring that is made by MOOG for like $150 if you want brand new.

FJ springs will lift the truck roughly 1.5" in the rear.
Old 07-16-17, 04:09 PM
chiz45
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
FJ springs will lift the truck roughly 1.5" in the rear.
do you know if a stock 2014 sr5 4Runner spring will add 1.5"? I'd like to stay stock height and use my spare parts if possible.

2014 SR5 4R with Icon stg2
2008 GX470 non KDSS
Old 08-27-17, 01:59 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by jasanders

Link is dead, are they not doing this anymore?

I'm looking at a spring conversion in my future and want to stay stock height.
Old 10-10-17, 03:31 PM
artinist
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if anyone want to do this and would like some spring choices, this page has some good data on compatible springs with lengths and rates. I am looking to do mine but absolutely do not want to raise the rear at all, in fact i wouldn't mind lowering the back about an inch. its my fronts that I want to raise.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...og-others.html

the Moog 81045 is only $50 for the pair
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-Set-of-...-/121957963279
Old 10-17-17, 01:18 AM
Mpenzi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
I have the complete MetalTech kit, FJ cruiser springs, and stock/factory shocks.

Attachment 415663
What tire size are these
Look very good
Old 10-17-17, 01:22 AM
Mpenzi
Driver School Candidate

Hello Guys
Can i just replace the air bags or it advisable to change the shock as well.
What fuses need to be disconnected if i choose to replace both.
Help me here guys
Thanks
Old 10-17-17, 04:39 PM
artinist
Driver School Candidate

shocks are separate from airbags/springs in the rear. you only replace them as needed/wanted
Old 10-17-17, 04:48 PM
artinist
Driver School Candidate

so you can have a rear spring conversion for less than $100. this is for stock height.

$12 Moog K160061 Coil Spring Insulator:
Amazon Amazon

$12 A&R Sports Ice Hockey Practice Puck, Black - 4 Pack (lower spring perch locator)
Amazon Amazon

$45 Moog 81045 Coil Spring Set
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: 2006 GX470 rear suspension conversions