GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2006 GX470 rear suspension conversions

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-17, 10:27 AM
Brklynkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aljodoro
My 2006 has 132,000 miles and I keep wondering if it is time to replace the shocks and air bags, everything is stock and working well. I see very positive statements about the Arnott system but I am wondering what ride difference you felt and whether you have the factory adjustable shocks or an alternative. I drive with the "electronic modulated suspension" at the firmest setting. Another way to say it I drive with the shocks at the firmest setting. I have KDSS and Michelin 265/65/17 tires.. I really don't want to install alternative parts that compromise the handling without having an idea what it will change. Obviously when coils are put in the automatic leveling will be gone. Thanks for the information.
I really like the feel of the arnott springs. Very comfortable and I haven't bottomed out. I think they are a good compromise. I wouldn't switch out your airbags unless something fails no need to mess with something not broken . I kept the factory struts as I saw no need to replace them.
The following users liked this post:
ArnottInc (03-04-19)
Old 05-08-17, 03:45 PM
GreatHim
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so this Arnott kit what keeps the spring on the axle? the GX was designed with air bag suspension so the axle is different from that of a 4runner or a fjc(which use springs) there is no spring perch on the rear axle for the coils to be located by. the only kit im seeing here that has that is the MetalTech kit... i dont see anything in the other kit to keep the spring from sliding off the axle, but maybe im missing something
Old 05-08-17, 03:52 PM
Brklynkid
Driver School Candidate

There is a small spring perch right above the axle. No perch on top
The following users liked this post:
Lexusfam (11-01-20)
Old 05-08-17, 11:47 PM
danmm7
Driver

So, there is no need for spring/coil perch to keep everything in place??

What keeps the springs in place if no perch on top?
Old 05-09-17, 01:54 PM
Brklynkid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by danmm7
So, there is no need for spring/coil perch to keep everything in place??

What keeps the springs in place if no perch on top?
the same thing that keeps the airbags in !
Basically a cup like structure that holds both airbag and spring. You need a spring compressor to get them in so it would possible but unlikely that they would come out
Old 05-10-17, 05:38 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Brklynkid
My driveway has a downward slope so GX may appear more level than it really is. With the arnott springs I believe the rear is a little higher than the height with the airbags
Agreed. I've seen a few pics of rear Arnott springs. They seem to elevate the rear (more rake) a bit higher than factory airbags.
Old 05-10-17, 11:35 PM
dildil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody is talking abt the ride guys how does it ride, like a new lexus again ?
Old 05-11-17, 06:52 AM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kabbott
I just did the air bag to spring conversion today. Every other aspect of the suspension / shocks were left original and it is riding the nicest it has ever ridden. Very very happy with the route I went.

For anyone finding this thread in the future, if you're fact finding ahead of the work and assessing whether to find a mechanic or doing it your self, hopefully the following will answer some of your questions.

Sensors were not communicating to keep vehicle level so I was having to have the compressor fill the rear bags every time it was started (chassis would drop and was sitting on axel every time vehicle was turned off)

The switch out took about 3 hours but if I knew several things like how the air tubing connectors worked ahead of time this is a 1 hour job.

I changed out the airbags for Arnott springs. Ordered them on ebay for $325 ( Lexus GX470 03-09 Rear Air to Coil Springs Conversion Kit C-2410 Arnott ),
Also ordered a $21.00 spring compressor set on Ebay as well.

A couple of mini flat screw drivers for helping to push the inner connecter sleeve parts to free the air line.
A Socket set for use on the spring compressor set.

The vehicle was jacked from the center of the rear axle and jack stands put under the frame. The jack lowered so the axel was free hanging. The rear tires removed.

Everything you find on the web says the bags are just sitting there, but after disconnecting the air line and compressing the air bag, you have to tug the bag down and to an angle and it drops down. (have no idea what was holding them at the top but they break free with steady pressure.

It only took compressing the springs about 3.5 inches to get them in place on the axle.
There was ample room to place the driver side.
On this 06 model, the passenger side of the axle has a welded bracket interfering so the bumper mount rubber thing had to be unbolted to allow room to move the spring into place.

There are no warning lights or anything like that happening at all.
This turned out very well after finding out there were issues starting on the air suspension system of this vehicle. Don't think twice about making the conversion we you start having problems with yours.Attachment 406485
Is the rear ride height the same as original? The metal tech appears to be noticeably higher in the rear, I'm curious what you thought of the Arnott kit.
Old 05-12-17, 11:13 AM
jasanders
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Conversion

I am gathering parts in preparation for the coil conversion.

If I get a spring with a 2" lift, can I keep the rear stock shocks on there or do I need to replace them with extended length shocks?

I am thinking about just getting new extended length shocks anyway as I am slowly going to be doing a 2 to 3" lift all around.

TOYTEC sells a pretty good looking lift kit which you can also add one of their coil conversion kits in as well. http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...s_p_1198.html#
Old 05-12-17, 11:47 AM
jasanders
Driver School Candidate

Default Spring Compressor?

Originally Posted by AWilson013
Nice job.

i just converted mine yesterday with the Metaltech kit. I'm pretty handy, and with no instructions or spring compressor I was able to do this in about 90 minutes. As you said, the passenger side was stubborn. On past vehicles I could articulate the axle enough with a jack to just slide the coil in. However, even with the lower shock mount undone, the KDSS sway bar didn't allow that on the passenger side.

With the passenger side done, the driver was easy (and articulated how other vehicles do, even with my KDSS). Jacked up the passenger side, driver dropped, and I just placed the coil in with TONS of space.

For springs my friend at the local Toyota dealer gave me some brand new 2017 4Runner takeoffs for free. I don't know if they typically sell those, but it may be a good option if you're on a budget. Worst they can say is no.

Pulling the red Air Sus relay under the hood and TEMS fuse in the dash turned off all lights, and stopped the compressor from firing up when I parked.
Awilson,

I have an 03 GX with no KDSS, do I need to get a spring compressor to install the springs when doing the conversion? This thread is the first time I have seen someone talking about having to use a spring compressor for this job.
Old 05-12-17, 11:50 AM
jasanders
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dildil
Nobody is talking abt the ride guys how does it ride, like a new lexus again ?
If you read on the first page of this thread I see 2 of the guys that did the conversion say they couldn't have been happier and it rides perfect.
Old 05-12-17, 04:20 PM
kabbott
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Old 05-14-17, 08:36 PM
dildil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jasanders
If you read on the first page of this thread I see 2 of the guys that did the conversion say they couldn't have been happier and it rides perfect.

ARNOTT VS STRUTMASTER ?

why one over the other ?why do arnott cost twice as much ?

i just ordered the strutmasters kit btw lol but havent installed it comes in tomorrow i hope i can get some opinion here

also i know to change the shocks its just like 5 minutes each side even i can do it i bet hehe

to remove the bags and install the coils is that hard or alot of work ? i wont be doing the work im going to a local shop so wanna have some info on timing before they tell me 500 labor ...strutmasters told me usually the coils fit right in sometimes u may have to lift the truck a couple of inches ? the shop has a lift so im assuming 1 hour for everything ?

thanks

Last edited by dildil; 05-14-17 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-25-17, 12:18 PM
rehans890
Driver School Candidate

My car is riding bumpy as all hell. It kinda freaks me out to drive it honestly... I've been reading all into these threads about conversion, but what does the conversion replace all the parts related to the "bounciness" of the ride? as you can probably tell, I have no experience with repairing cars I just want to do this conversion and make sure I get back to something close to my original ride
Old 05-25-17, 12:23 PM
dildil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rehans890
My car is riding bumpy as all hell. It kinda freaks me out to drive it honestly... I've been reading all into these threads about conversion, but what does the conversion replace all the parts related to the "bounciness" of the ride? as you can probably tell, I have no experience with repairing cars I just want to do this conversion and make sure I get back to something close to my original ride

theres a easy way to fix that

buy a kit from strutmasters like i did for abt 400 and ull be good

or

u can buy the parts separately that strutmasters sell in thier kit and save u some money and yes it will take care of ur bouncy harsh ride it worked for me.
I plan on doing front strut change aswell now just seeing whats the easy way to do it i like plug n play kinda stuff so i wonder if i can use the struts from a 2010 n up 4runner

Quick Reply: 2006 GX470 rear suspension conversions