GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Front and Back blinkers not working. Whats the issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-17, 05:48 PM
illitirit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front and Back blinkers not working. Whats the issue?

Let my dumb brother drive my car.... everything he touches usually breaks so no surprise after he gave me my car back all 4 blinker lights dont work.

If i shift the indicator bar on the steering wheel up or down to left / right turn, there is no clicking noise you would usually get nor arrow indicators.

Anyone know what I need to replace? Could it be a fuse? I feel like its almost impossible for all 4 lights to have gone bad.

Also hazards dont work, nor does unlocking / locking the car produce and blinking.

Last edited by illitirit; 02-16-17 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-16-17, 06:20 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Low blinker fluid?

Either a blown fuse or dead blinker module is my guess.
Old 02-16-17, 09:28 PM
illitirit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yardie876
Low blinker fluid?

Either a blown fuse or dead blinker module is my guess.

I just changed fuse 37 in the engine bay. It was indeed blown.

However the lights still dont work, turn signals still dont work.

I'm kind of new to this car stuff, is it hard to replace the blinker module? I cross my fingers that its the problem.
Old 02-17-17, 05:48 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Do the four-ways work?

Chip H.
Old 02-17-17, 02:19 PM
illitirit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
Do the four-ways work?

Chip H.

They do not work, there is no clicking noise either when pressed.
Old 02-17-17, 02:26 PM
illitirit
Driver School Candidate

I want to try to replace the flasher relay. However I cant find out where it is. Does anyone know the location?
Old 02-17-17, 04:43 PM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man you are not going to be happy! The blinker relay is attached to the back of the fuse panel that is located by your left knee. There isn't any tutorial anywhere on how to change it so just start ripping everything apart! This is not an easy job which I believe is a very poor design. If you remove the bottom cover exposing the underside of the dash....reach your hand WAY up to the back of the fuse panel and you will feel the square box that is clipped onto the back. GOOD LUCK! This job absolutey sucks. I would definitely make sure that this is in fact your problem before doing the job.
Old 02-17-17, 04:59 PM
illitirit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drowssap
Oh man you are not going to be happy! The blinker relay is attached to the back of the fuse panel that is located by your left knee. There isn't any tutorial anywhere on how to change it so just start ripping everything apart! This is not an easy job which I believe is a very poor design. If you remove the bottom cover exposing the underside of the dash....reach your hand WAY up to the back of the fuse panel and you will feel the square box that is clipped onto the back. GOOD LUCK! This job absolutey sucks. I would definitely make sure that this is in fact your problem before doing the job.

Oh dear lord that does not sound like a good time.

I dont know much about cars but just from the symptoms of all 4 flasher lights completely not working, hazards not working -- how many outlets of problem should I be checking?

Its either the fuse or flasher relay right? I replaced the turn signal / hazard fuse #37 in the engine bay fuse box which didnt do anything even though the fuse was indeed blown.

I get the feeling its the flasher relay, however thats just my uneducated guess because prior to this happening I installed LED blinker lights in the front which were working perfectly. My brother who was driving the car must have used the LED blinker lights as DRL's for an entire day even though I specifically told him not to turn off the low beams so that the DRL's wouldnt activate. The LED blinker lights must have been in use for too long. In the whole electrical chain of things, this would be effecting the flasher relay? The LED blinkers must have burned out the relay?

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it
Old 02-17-17, 05:25 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I dont know how these are wired, but on some vehicles the actual hazard button that you press goes bad, just throwing that out there. Maybe someone will jump in and know a bit more.
Old 02-18-17, 01:48 AM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

Diablo is correct and you can try and hit the button multiple times to try and force it to make the contact it needs to function.....but I actually have many questions based off of your last post! First....LED bulbs in our vehicles will flash rapidly if the proper resistors or relay are not installed. When you say yours worked perfectly....did they blink but actually blink faster than normal? Did the vehicle have standard halogen bulbs when you got your hands on it or did you replace led's with led's? Almost all of GX470's came with a 12 pin relay. Normally when you install led's for flashers you have to replace your vehicles relay with one that can control the current of an led bulb. They do not make a 12 pin led relay ....only an 8 pin. So...is there a chance that you might have the rare 8 pin? Was there an 8 pin led relay already installed by the previous owner? It does not make sense that using or not using the drl's would affect anything. Also...depending on the year of your vehicle....there isn;t any way to turn the drl's on and off on command. If you have the Toyota techstream you could tap into the main computer and turn the function off but that is it. Honestly....being that you are not mechanically skilled I would check every single fuse under the hood and every single fuse under the dash. MOST IMPORTANTLY....I would beat the answer out of your brother to explain EXACTLY what happened and what he did to make this happen. Usually knowing what caused the problem can assist in determining what actually broke.
Old 02-18-17, 06:18 AM
illitirit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drowssap
Diablo is correct and you can try and hit the button multiple times to try and force it to make the contact it needs to function.....but I actually have many questions based off of your last post! First....LED bulbs in our vehicles will flash rapidly if the proper resistors or relay are not installed. When you say yours worked perfectly....did they blink but actually blink faster than normal? Did the vehicle have standard halogen bulbs when you got your hands on it or did you replace led's with led's? Almost all of GX470's came with a 12 pin relay. Normally when you install led's for flashers you have to replace your vehicles relay with one that can control the current of an led bulb. They do not make a 12 pin led relay ....only an 8 pin. So...is there a chance that you might have the rare 8 pin? Was there an 8 pin led relay already installed by the previous owner? It does not make sense that using or not using the drl's would affect anything. Also...depending on the year of your vehicle....there isn;t any way to turn the drl's on and off on command. If you have the Toyota techstream you could tap into the main computer and turn the function off but that is it. Honestly....being that you are not mechanically skilled I would check every single fuse under the hood and every single fuse under the dash. MOST IMPORTANTLY....I would beat the answer out of your brother to explain EXACTLY what happened and what he did to make this happen. Usually knowing what caused the problem can assist in determining what actually broke.

okay I will try to explain everything I know.

These are the flasher LED i installed in the front:

Amazon Amazon

These claim to be error free, which they were. But they were not meant to be used as DRL's which the GX470 DRL's double as indicator lights. The behavior of the lights after I installed these LED was if I had DRL's activated
(low beams off) the indicator lights would hyperflash. Which is why I told my brother to drive with the low beams always on so that the DRL's would not be activated. Under this circumstance of NO DRL, the flashers would operate properly(no hyperflash)

I never replaced any relay or fuse prior to installing these LED flashers. The LED i purchased are extremely bright. I am really emphasize the brightness so if they acted as DRL's I could imagine they would burn something out if they were constantly on.

I asked my brother specifically what happened. He said it was working fine... then as he went to signal a right turn, the indicator lights died as in no clicking sound or lights. So I would imagine it being the relay being burned out?

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-19-17, 07:37 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Sounds like even if you replace the relay, it'll burn out again.

Think about returning your GX to stock configuration until you can find some LEDs that will work properly.

Chip H.
Old 02-19-17, 07:05 PM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
Sounds like even if you replace the relay, it'll burn out again.

Think about returning your GX to stock configuration until you can find some LEDs that will work properly.

Chip H.
This I agree with and is the advice I would give
Old 03-12-17, 07:04 PM
tomclayton
Driver School Candidate

If you didn't add the resistors in the turn signal circuits, that's the start of your problem. See this video, www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JIxR-F9550 for more info. Have no idea if that caused more problems or not but the video guy says it blew his fuse [didn't say which one(s)]. Good luck.