GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Stuck ingition cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-17, 09:29 AM
Tact
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck ingition cylinder

Read several threads regarding this subject. First I'm going to try and spray to Triflow or Houdini lubricant in the cylinder to try to alleviate this issue. Local locksmith suggested those lubricants and said not to spray graphite or WD40. It this doesn't work then he suggested that I but a new ignition cylinder and he would swap it out and rekey it. He said what happens is that the tumblers have gotten weak over time, or there is gunk inside preventing the tumblers from moving freely.

If I have to buy a new cylinder, I would assume I need to buy it from a Lexus dealer, or would I be able to buy a new cylinder without having to pay dealer gold price for this part. If I need to buy from a dealer, who is the preferred dealer on this site now?

Last edited by Tact; 02-16-17 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-16-17, 11:56 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

What is happening? Key stuck in it? Wont turn the truck on? Just a quick comment, did you make sure there is not any tension on the steering wheel? I have used Lexuspartsnow also southatlantalexus. Just kind of shop around. When I had to buy the whole shifter assembly due to "detent" I shopped around and found it a lot cheaper at 1 Lexus site than others. Sounds like you are, but stick with a Lexus part. Just start to google away! OH! A tip I learned a long time ago, take a pencil eraser and use that to clean the actual key, it actually works good, especially the ways our keys are cut. I know your key isnt the issue, but im sure it can get the cylinder inside dirty over time.

Last edited by DiabloX22; 02-16-17 at 11:59 AM. Reason: add
Old 02-16-17, 12:13 PM
Tact
Driver

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
What is happening? Key stuck in it? Wont turn the truck on? Just a quick comment, did you make sure there is not any tension on the steering wheel? I have used Lexuspartsnow also southatlantalexus. Just kind of shop around. When I had to buy the whole shifter assembly due to "detent" I shopped around and found it a lot cheaper at 1 Lexus site than others. Sounds like you are, but stick with a Lexus part. Just start to google away! OH! A tip I learned a long time ago, take a pencil eraser and use that to clean the actual key, it actually works good, especially the ways our keys are cut. I know your key isnt the issue, but im sure it can get the cylinder inside dirty over time.
No, steering wheel is not locked under tension. This is what I have been seeing more and more complaints on. I believe it is an issue with the tumblers inside that are getting weak and not resetting. Sewell used to be a preferred dealer here, but I guess they have moved on.
Old 02-16-17, 12:28 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

So the key goes in and out, wont turn the truck over? IDK what kinds of lubes you mentioned are, but I would 1st get a can of CRC electrical cleaner and spray several shots inside. I know its not a electrical issue, but the springs collect dirt and dust etc. In between inserting and removing your key. I would do that a dozen times or so to clean and clear any junk. Then get a lube, which may be 1 you mentioned, that sprays liquid, then kind of thickens up a bit, using a very littleon the key and in the tumbler.
Old 02-16-17, 12:31 PM
Tact
Driver

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
So the key goes in and out, wont turn the truck over? IDK what kinds of lubes you mentioned are, but I would 1st get a can of CRC electrical cleaner and spray several shots inside. I know its not a electrical issue, but the springs collect dirt and dust etc. In between inserting and removing your key. I would do that a dozen times or so to clean and clear any junk. Then get a lube, which may be 1 you mentioned, that sprays liquid, then kind of thickens up a bit, using a very littleon the key and in the tumbler.
I'll try that. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-16-17, 12:43 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

I hope it helps! Maybe read up on if you should lube the cylinder, now that I think about it. If it were me, I would definitely try the CRC. Keep us posted!
Old 02-16-17, 02:19 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

To minimize wear on the mechanical parts of the ignition cylinder, make sure your keychain doesn't have much on it. Extra weight (flashlights, bottle openers, Tiny Troll dolls, etc.) drag down on it and cause wear.

Chip H.
Old 02-18-17, 10:04 AM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The pins inside get bent. This happened on my GX because my wife normally drives a stickshift, so when she drove the GX she forgot to put it in Park before turning the engine off, and the key wouldn't release. She decided to go tribal on the key to get it to release, and now a pin is bent and the key jams up sometimes.

Lubricant helps a lot with this problem. And if you have a spare key, try using the spare. It will have less wear on it and should press the pins in better.

The cheapest permanent solution is to just remove the bent pin and put the lock cylinder back into service without it. It's up to you to decide if that's a security risk or not, since GX's have electronic starter disable anyway.
Old 02-22-17, 03:31 AM
tomtbone
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tact
I'll try that. Thanks for the tip.
I have used the CRC Electrical cleaner on my ignition and it fixed my problems.