GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Should Lexus Lose the Side Opening Rear Door?
YES! Lose the side opening door!
69.91%
NO! I like the side opening door
30.09%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Should Lexus Lose the Side Opening Rear Door?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-04, 04:15 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Hello???? is lexus paying attention here? I don't have a GX yet, but I sure hate that side door also. I wonder if the hinges can be reattached to top position with the closing mechanism on the bottom?. Hmmm. I will try this mod when I get the GX, but not for a while Anybody want to give this a shot?
Old 07-16-04, 06:08 AM
Triplenet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The side swing door was my biggest negative against the GX, but the interior and exterior of the new 4Runner was a bigger negative. I have gotten used to both now.

Pro-The side door is lighter to open
Con-Opens on the wrong side at times-if my house door from the garage had not been on the left, it
would have killed the purchase
Can't open it with my boat trailer hooked up (my 97 4R door does open)
Can't used bike rack. Our rack has a release to tip to the rear and works on 4Runner
No rain protection when loading
No shade for picnics, soccer games etc., door blocks view when open

I have a '85 LC FJ60 wagon with the split gate and a '97 4Runner. Both are far superior designs to the side swing. I really like the rear roll down window in the 4Runner.

Overall, I like the GX. The side swing door is awkward at times, but I live with it.

bob
Old 07-16-04, 01:09 PM
allisonb1013
Driver

i feel like a wierdo on this thread, but the side opening door is one of my favorite things about my gx! of course, i'm very clumsy and have a fear of knocking myself out with one of those swing-up doors.

i would agree that it would be better if the window on the back door opened up.
Old 07-16-04, 01:20 PM
SacKen
Driver

Originally posted by allisonb1013
i feel like a wierdo on this thread, but the side opening door is one of my favorite things about my gx! of course, i'm very clumsy and have a fear of knocking myself out with one of those swing-up doors.

i would agree that it would be better if the window on the back door opened up.
I'll be a wierdo with you... I like the side opening door as well. Luckily, my boat trailer is big enough so that the door can be opened all the way. The door gets within about a quarter inch from the trailer winch, but gets by with no problem. I did have to pay the extra $$$ to buy a swing-away bike rack, but that wasn't too big of a deal. Although I do agree that not being able to open the window and not having rain protection sucks. But at the same time, I rarely have a situation where either is necessary, so it is tolerable. I think the fact that someone like my 6-year old neice can access the back without any help is worth the minor inconveniences.
Old 07-21-04, 08:52 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

During the five months I waited for a KDSS truck, my salesperson heard constant complaining from me about the idiotic side opening door. I even complained to the owner of the dealership. After I took delivery this February, they haven't heard a peep out of me. I do have to walk around the door when unloading stuff to bring into the house but it's a nit.

During my vacation last month, Hertz upgraded me to a 4-Runner. That back hatch is a pain to close. I can envision women dangling from that rope, trying to pull the hatch down. It also takes a good push to close it once it's down. The power hatch on the RX330 is nice, once you know the proper sequence. I initially went bonkers trying to get the hatch open/closed because the remote didn't seem to be working. Operator error
Old 07-22-04, 06:42 PM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Default Escalade door

Side opening door sometimes makes trouble when load/unloading cargo imo. I like the Cadillac Escalade's door; it is not only an easy open door, but it also has a big rear window to open. Espiceially in a cool sunny day, letting more air in is a great idea.

Last edited by DavidsGX; 07-22-04 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-30-04, 08:31 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

I don't get it? Seems like Toyota used the best design on the 4th generation 4runner (macho mechanical) look that all fits and flows. The GX is great looking from the front but what's with the rear? Plus the side opening rear door is bad design. The 4runner is better in comparison, with the lift-up rear hatch. Personally I like the split design that is used on the FZJ80 Landcruiser. I have to say that the interior of the GX is way nicer than the 4runner. I just wish they would of finished off the butt end of the GX.
Old 08-14-04, 11:06 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by PitBull
I just wish they would of finished off the butt end of the GX.
PitBull.....

I agree with you. I removed the panel below from the butt end and replaced with a plain one. Now, the GX looks a lot better.

~ Cap
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-04, 12:55 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Capirato, where is that piece from?
Old 08-14-04, 04:26 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by gs400jon
Capirato, where is that piece from?
Attached Thumbnails Should Lexus Lose the Side Opening Rear Door?-befaft.jpg  
Old 08-14-04, 08:10 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Thanks. I have the no hitch cover plate and your first picture of a bottom view didn't look familiar at all.
Old 08-14-04, 08:32 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

why do we guyz even worry about the door, it's all about "Do you like the Gx, or not?" the door seems to be a small thing that we get so stingy about.
Old 11-06-04, 09:17 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I've read this thread before and finally took the GX470 for a test drive. Loved everything about this vehicle and then checked out this infamour rear door debated in this thread.

How do you GX owners works this out in crowded parking lots? It seems that LONG door would swing out into the driving area of the parking lot, blocking traffic or having the risk of some drives just knocking io that door swung out and then having it slam back into you?

Also I think there is a secondary step to the lock the swing out door into place? What is that all about? That door could slam back into you if you were not paying attention?!

Man that door looks and is kind of weird, but will take some getting used to.

PS - On another note, the other pet peeve I have is that long shift stick for the GX. Why didn't the GX get that nice Shift Gear from the new 4Runners?
Old 11-06-04, 09:45 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Originally posted by lexguynj
I've read this thread before and finally took the GX470 for a test drive. Loved everything about this vehicle and then checked out this infamour rear door debated in this thread.

How do you GX owners works this out in crowded parking lots? It seems that LONG door would swing out into the driving area of the parking lot, blocking traffic or having the risk of some drives just knocking io that door swung out and then having it slam back into you?

Also I think there is a secondary step to the lock the swing out door into place? What is that all about? That door could slam back into you if you were not paying attention?!

Man that door looks and is kind of weird, but will take some getting used to.

PS - On another note, the other pet peeve I have is that long shift stick for the GX. Why didn't the GX get that nice Shift Gear from the new 4Runners?
It's me again. I rarely do any parallel parking where the door could be a problem. In parking lots, it's no problem at all. You can lock the door open so it won't swing back at you. That might happen if it's a very windy day or if the truck is parked on a downhill slope. I think one reason the door opens from the left is so it has the slope of the street crown to help keep it open. It didn't take me long at all to get used to the door. The conventional opening rear doors can be awkward to pull down like on a 2004 4Runner I rented on a fishing trip. I like the easy opening and closing door on the GX, even though I have to walk around it about half the time when loading/unloading stuff. I try to minimize that by placing most articles for loading behind the bumper then open the door.

Interesting observation on the shift lever. That never occurred to me since the lever is easy to manipulate.
Old 11-06-04, 09:55 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gs400jon
It's me again. I rarely do any parallel parking where the door could be a problem. In parking lots, it's no problem at all. You can lock the door open so it won't swing back at you. That might happen if it's a very windy day or if the truck is parked on a downhill slope. I think one reason the door opens from the left is so it has the slope of the street crown to help keep it open. It didn't take me long at all to get used to the door. The conventional opening rear doors can be awkward to pull down like on a 2004 4Runner I rented on a fishing trip. I like the easy opening and closing door on the GX, even though I have to walk around it about half the time when loading/unloading stuff. I try to minimize that by placing most articles for loading behind the bumper then open the door.

Interesting observation on the shift lever. That never occurred to me since the lever is easy to manipulate.
You bring up a very good point, parallel parking? How to get around that?

As for the shift lever, the shift lever on the new 4runners reminds me of the Shift Levers our GS4s (short and sweet). The GX's shift lever if functionally fine, but just a long awkward looking shift lever.

Quick Reply: Should Lexus Lose the Side Opening Rear Door?