ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009-218/)
-   -   2008 GX470 Rear speaker replacement (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009/846319-2008-gx470-rear-speaker-replacement.html)

LStoner 02-04-17 08:20 PM

2008 GX470 Rear speaker replacement

Brand New to this. Loving the 08 but the rearmost speaker is sounding wrecked. Got an OEM replacement but not sure how to tear into that without causing unintended consequences. Is there any trick to that I should be aware of. I'm practically in Canada up here in far NE Minnesota and this time of year has me pressed for the most efficient way to handle this one since letting it sit for a few days is not an option. Appreciate all the help I can get. It's a base model, no nav or entertainment. 144K and my favorite car I've owned since my '88 4Runner. Thanks

mrblister 02-05-17 09:24 AM

There are two speakers on the rear door that require you to remove the rear door inside panel to get to, There Is also a rear on the right side a subwoofer . Which speakers do you want to replace ??

bluedurama 02-05-17 01:36 PM

I,m subscribed to this thread to see if someone tells how to get to that subwolfer. I tried to figure it out earlier and gave up.

LStoner 02-06-17 08:54 AM

The rear right subwoofer. Thanks Mrblister

GXallday 02-06-17 03:04 PM

When I bought my GX, the sunwoofer and two front door speakers sounded horrible. Rattling weird sound. I took out the front door speakers, and notinced that the foam around the cone was all deteriorated. I proceeded to the subwoofer hoping it was the same issue and nothing serious. Turned out it was the foam as well. Bought foam replacements, replaced on all three speakers, and now it sounds great. Cost me only $51 total.

Now to to get to the subwoofer, you have to take off a lot of the paneling back there. Once they're off, it's easy. Just use the plastic pry bars (bought mine at harbor freight for like $2), and remember which bolt goes where.

bluedurama 02-06-17 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by GXallday (Post 9762140)
When I bought my GX, the sunwoofer and two front door speakers sounded horrible. Rattling weird sound. I took out the front door speakers, and notinced that the foam around the cone was all deteriorated. I proceeded to the subwoofer hoping it was the same issue and nothing serious. Turned out it was the foam as well. Bought foam replacements, replaced on all three speakers, and now it sounds great. Cost me only $51 total.

Now to to get to the subwoofer, you have to take off a lot of the paneling back there. Once they're off, it's easy. Just use the plastic pry bars (bought mine at harbor freight for like $2), and remember which bolt goes where.

Is it possible to get a bit more detail? I can,t even see a place to start removing the paneling.

CAGearhead 02-08-17 12:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I replaced the rubber on the woofer cone a while back. Here are instructions from the workshop manual I found somewhere on this forum. You basically start removing trim around the passenger door and work your way back to the big plastic panel that covers the woofer. It wasn't too difficult. I used the Simply Speakers replacement rubber on the front door speakers and the woofer and the stereo sounds great now. Best money I've spent on the GX so far.

DiabloX22 02-08-17 12:52 PM

I have a step by step to getting to the sub, it was right on key. Let me see if I can find it. I repaired my sub a while back, the rubber was just deteriorated, got a kit from simplypeakers. It took some work, but it was worth it! Kit was cheap and worked wonders!

chiph9 04-16-17 09:03 AM

How to get to the subwoofer:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...subwoofer.html

Note that there's not a lot of room back there for a replacement box.

Chip H.