GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Do I Need CAN Bus for Xenon Depot Xtreme HID Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-17, 07:05 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Do I Need CAN Bus for Xenon Depot Xtreme HID Kit?

Do I need the CAN Bus add-on for this kit to work as a upgrade for low beams on GX470?

Their site does not explicitly state whether or not I need it, it only says that some cars might need it.

Would love to purchase tonight, as sale ends today.

thanks!

Last edited by mstrsltr; 01-20-17 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-20-17, 08:25 PM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope! I know how to turn a wrench pretty well and these HID kits always intimidated me because I didn't trust myself enough to do a retrofit. The retrofit will definitely get you better light but the cost is 3-4 times this kit. The bonus is that this kit works great in our vehicles because we already have projectors which is actually the main reason people need to perform elaborate retrofits into their current headlights that do not have these. Now onto this kit.....I read through the entire sticky thread of 30-40 pages and do not understand why anyone has not posted this info yet. This kit is RIDICULOUSLY easy to install into our trucks! It is entirely plug and play! If you purchase the extreme kit....you simply remove your old bulbs and install the new HID bulbs. Afterwords you grab the ballast and such and just start plugging everything in! After that you simply just find a place for the ballast to be mounted and you are done!
Old 01-20-17, 09:32 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Originally Posted by drowssap
Nope! I know how to turn a wrench pretty well and these HID kits always intimidated me because I didn't trust myself enough to do a retrofit. The retrofit will definitely get you better light but the cost is 3-4 times this kit. The bonus is that this kit works great in our vehicles because we already have projectors which is actually the main reason people need to perform elaborate retrofits into their current headlights that do not have these. Now onto this kit.....I read through the entire sticky thread of 30-40 pages and do not understand why anyone has not posted this info yet. This kit is RIDICULOUSLY easy to install into our trucks! It is entirely plug and play! If you purchase the extreme kit....you simply remove your old bulbs and install the new HID bulbs. Afterwords you grab the ballast and such and just start plugging everything in! After that you simply just find a place for the ballast to be mounted and you are done!
Yeah, everything I've heard about Xenon Depot has been great, but I feel like a lot of clarity can be added to the process.

The actual process of changing the bulbs etc seems quite easy, but figuring out WHAT you need is oddly challenging.

Anyways, thanks for clarifying and summing it up so nicely.
Old 01-21-17, 05:59 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Suggest you call them. They're eminently helpful.

I've happily had them in my GX for >4yrs. Go for it.
Old 01-22-17, 09:29 AM
new2005GX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone use these with the auto headlamp function? I installed this kit about 5 years ago and had been using the auto function before one of the ballasts blew. Replaced the ballast and have avoided using auto for a few months but I'm wondering if that is necessary and the ballast that blew was simply "worn out" .

Thoughts?
Old 01-22-17, 10:57 AM
Im1406
Driver School Candidate

I initially hooked mine up just using the factory harness and kept blowing the DS 10A fuse when in the 'AUTO' setting. Last weekend I used the included direct to battery harness and have had no fuse issues so far.
Old 01-22-17, 12:41 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Originally Posted by Im1406
I initially hooked mine up just using the factory harness and kept blowing the DS 10A fuse when in the 'AUTO' setting. Last weekend I used the included direct to battery harness and have had no fuse issues so far.
So you ARE able to use these in the Auto-on setting without blowing fuses and ballasts?

Anyone else care to weigh in?
Old 01-22-17, 12:42 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Suggest you call them. They're eminently helpful.

I've happily had them in my GX for >4yrs. Go for it.
Have you been able to use the Auto-on function for 4 years without any issues?
Old 01-22-17, 01:14 PM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

I have to follow up on my previous statement.....I installed my kit last week and have not driven the vehicle since install! I also have not tried the system on auto so I may need to update this thread once I experience that!
Old 01-22-17, 06:00 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
I have to follow up on my previous statement.....I installed my kit last week and have not driven the vehicle since install! I also have not tried the system on auto so I may need to update this thread once I experience that!
I have had their kit since March using the Auto function just fine.
Old 01-22-17, 06:01 PM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RushNatU
I have had their kit since March using the Auto function just fine.
Cool....but with or with out the relay harness?
Old 01-23-17, 08:10 PM
Im1406
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mstrsltr
So you ARE able to use these in the Auto-on setting without blowing fuses and ballasts?

Anyone else care to weigh in?
Yes, I am using the AUTO setting on my headlights now. No problems so far.
The following users liked this post:
drowssap (01-23-17)
Old 01-23-17, 10:00 PM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Im1406
Yes, I am using the AUTO setting on my headlights now. No problems so far.
Great! I spoke with Xenon depot today and technically we should not have any problems. If you do....just simply install the relay harness but agin it shouldn't be needed. The ballast draws less current than the original halogen bulb which is why it should just all work without it.
Old 01-24-17, 07:43 AM
DavE713
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Bought 2 kits from XD. I picked a 2011 Prius H11 kit http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-HID-Ki...D-p/xt-h11.htm added 2 H11 kits into the cart thinking since its an H11 kit it'll work for my GX470 also.

2. Installed the first kit on the Prius and the driver side was flickering and the passenger side did not work. I opened up the 2nd kit and used the ballast in that kit for the Prius (passenger side) and both fired right up....with the driver side still flickering. Yesterday I turned on the headlights and noticed the passenger side not firing. I turned the headlights off/on and they both fired up. I will monitor them in the next few weeks. (did not use relay)

3. I tired to install the 2nd kit on the GX and it did not work at all. I spoke to XD CS(Emailed last night and woke up to a reply!) and they advised me to reverse the polarity. I will try tonight on the GX470 with the 2nd kit.
Old 01-25-17, 07:58 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

@DavE713 - Thanks for taking time to trobleshoot; something is definitely up. Would it be possible to give you a call to discuss? Installing our H11 HID kit on either the GX or Prius should not be an issue.

Steve