GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Please Insert Map DVD

Old 12-17-16, 10:34 AM
maxse
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please Insert Map DVD

Hi guys,
So I just bought a 2009 GX470 at an auction. The dealer that I used said that the navigation screen shows "No DVD Please Insert Map DVD"
I'm assuming I will need to buy one. I checked ebay but I'm not sure if I need that "Map UPDATE DVD" or if it's some other one that I need since the message is showing no DVD in the first place there is nothing to update?

Can someone help me out about which version to buy? I read some of the ebay disclaimers and it says I can mess up the entire DVD system if I get a lower version that what's installed? I believe the 09 has a Gen5 Nav unit. Would really appreciate your help, don't want to mess this up.
I will have the car next week so I want to get it ready and ordered by then
Old 12-17-16, 02:55 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 843 Likes on 638 Posts

Try this link: http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what-to-order/
Old 12-18-16, 01:48 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

I saw that link thank you. But I'm not sure if what I need is a Map Update? I'm not sure if the update is what I need or some other DVD. Not ure if the update is meant for system that already currently have a disc in? Not sure if it matters
Old 12-18-16, 08:15 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You might want to see if you can poke around in the menu and get it to display the current version info, and just get that version to be safe. I can't imagine it would hurt anything to use an upgrade disc at this point, but if you want to be super safe, see if you can read the current version first.
Old 12-19-16, 05:24 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

With the car not started but the power on, Pull the front passenger seat up all the way and get in the back passenger door and reach under the seat and remove the face plate on the DVD. pull the top down and left up. Then slide the eject button to the left. See if a disc pops out. If not, you can get one off eBay from seller - Navdvdsupport. I bought 3 of his updates and all 3 worked perfectly.
Old 12-19-16, 12:21 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 843 Likes on 638 Posts

2009 and earlier Lexus Navigation units use a DVD based system. The error message
of No DVD means that there is No DVD in the reader. Either the official or eBay disc
needs to be installed for the system to work. 2010 and later systems have a harddrive
and will work with outdated information, no disc needed.
Old 12-20-16, 08:31 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

But if there IS a disc in there, it may be damaged, or the reader is broken. You won't know until you go look.

There's no difference between an "upgrade" disc and a regular disc. The assumption is the car has one already because it was delivered from the factory with one. So.. "upgrade"

Chip H.
Old 12-20-16, 08:41 AM
techrep
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with Chip... you need to look and see if there is in fact no Disc in the reader.
Old 12-20-16, 03:06 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Thanks guys. So went to pick up the car today. Turns out there WAS a disc in there it just wouldn't read it, also the car had issues with suspension. I ended up not purchasing the car and walked away from the deal! Im glad I was able to do that.

Also, as I was driving I stopped by a used car dealership found a 2007 with 116,000 miles which looked awesome, drove good, everything was working, carfax is clean and showed maintenance done at Lexus Dealership so I bought it!

Tire pressure sensor was on, I pumped the tiresup still on, I logged into lexus drivers when I got home and saw some work was not completed. I will post another thread about it asking for advice. Seems like CV boot sor something were recommended but never replaced by previous owner.
Old 12-22-16, 07:26 AM
techrep
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxse
Thanks guys. So went to pick up the car today. Turns out there WAS a disc in there it just wouldn't read it, also the car had issues with suspension. I ended up not purchasing the car and walked away from the deal! Im glad I was able to do that.

Also, as I was driving I stopped by a used car dealership found a 2007 with 116,000 miles which looked awesome, drove good, everything was working, carfax is clean and showed maintenance done at Lexus Dealership so I bought it!

Tire pressure sensor was on, I pumped the tiresup still on, I logged into lexus drivers when I got home and saw some work was not completed. I will post another thread about it asking for advice. Seems like CV boot sor something were recommended but never replaced by previous owner.
CV boots are not replaceable with out removing the whole shaft.. probably why the previous owner did not have them replaced.