GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Best ON-ROAD Suspension Upgrade? (not OFFroad!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-16, 05:25 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Best ON-ROAD Suspension Upgrade? (not OFFroad!)

I know there's many many threads re: OFF road suspension upgrades, but I'm curious what's out there that improves the ON road (freeway, surface street, twisty mountain road) handling?

I'm waiting for the right GX470 with KDSS to come along, and I know that KDSS goes a long way to improving handling. But what else can be done?

There must be aftermarket suspension systems that are built specifically for on road SUV performance, no?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-16, 09:41 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Off Road will work well on road. You can fine tune the on road ride by adjusting spring rate. If you want stiffer then get a slightly stiffer springs. People under estimate how important the shocks are to ride. A good shock will make the GX feel so much better then the tired OEM. I would call Mark at Metal Tech and just get some suggestions from him. His is very GX knowledgable and sells some good stuff and a very fair price.
Old 11-17-16, 04:09 PM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you want cornering preformance or ride quality? Those two kinda take you in different directions. Poly suspension bushings and sway bar mounts are probably a good start.
Old 11-18-16, 01:23 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Originally Posted by co4wheel
Off Road will work well on road. You can fine tune the on road ride by adjusting spring rate. If you want stiffer then get a slightly stiffer springs. People under estimate how important the shocks are to ride. A good shock will make the GX feel so much better then the tired OEM. I would call Mark at Metal Tech and just get some suggestions from him. His is very GX knowledgable and sells some good stuff and a very fair price.
I'll definitely give him a ring as my stalwart insistence on only buying a KDSS equipped GX is starting to falter. It's not that they are rare, I've found many of them. It's just that they are usually high mileage rust belt cars, or have other title/maintenance issues.

Originally Posted by 180ls1
What do you want cornering preformance or ride quality? Those two kinda take you in different directions. Poly suspension bushings and sway bar mounts are probably a good start.
I'm looking for anything that will help with body roll, and handling in general. Within reason of course because I don't want the ride to be too stiff.

I have to wonder why no one ever made beefier aftermarket sway bars for the GX... I guess because the compromise in ride comfort would be too severe?
Old 11-18-16, 01:54 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

It's not ride comfort. It's that it counter what a Off Road SUV is about. I would consider the Red Poly Sway Bar Bushings. I think it's the red that are self lubing. Better Shocks and lastly springs. You may find that New shocks bushings are enough to make you happy. Taller Height is counter what you want in the end.
Old 11-18-16, 04:46 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe someone will chime in that has an anti rock bar to give some insight as to how it compares to factory swaybars.

poly bushings are a good idea, but can be noisy. You're going to have to compromise something, you can't have a body on frame SUV handle like it's on rails and be comfortable unless you start getting into fully adjustable air ride systems, or doing something like an ICON system with adjustable CDC Valving.
Old 11-21-16, 12:59 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
Maybe someone will chime in that has an anti rock bar to give some insight as to how it compares to factory swaybars.

poly bushings are a good idea, but can be noisy. You're going to have to compromise something, you can't have a body on frame SUV handle like it's on rails and be comfortable unless you start getting into fully adjustable air ride systems, or doing something like an ICON system with adjustable CDC Valving.
I wouldn't ever expect a body on frame SUV to drive like a sport sedan, I'm really just starting to lose my resolve on committing to only buying a KDSS equipped GX.

I've seen the side-by-side video comparisons of KDSS in action and it truly is night and day in terms of cornering.
The following users liked this post:
arseum (10-19-20)
Old 11-21-16, 01:22 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Keep in mind that the KDSS is going to be old on any 470. The price of repair on KDSS can be $3000 if it goes out. To me I would skip KDSS and just like it as is with out the KDSS. You know the KDSS is eventually going to fail. Do you really want to pay that bill? If the answer is Yes, KDSS and the cost of repair is worth it then by all means do it. Just know in advance what your getting into.
Old 11-21-16, 02:45 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Originally Posted by co4wheel
Keep in mind that the KDSS is going to be old on any 470. The price of repair on KDSS can be $3000 if it goes out. To me I would skip KDSS and just like it as is with out the KDSS. You know the KDSS is eventually going to fail. Do you really want to pay that bill? If the answer is Yes, KDSS and the cost of repair is worth it then by all means do it. Just know in advance what your getting into.
That's a very legitimate point, and one I should consider carefully.

I myself have wondered how Lexus can possibly claim that KDSS never needs service. It's filled with hydraulic fluid, and while "sealed", is certainly not 100% oxygen impermeable. Meaning the system will inevitably pull in air and perhaps even absorb moisture as it ages. Both of which will eventually make most hydraulic systems operate poorly. I'm generalizing here and don't know everything about hydraulic fluids, but is this not typically the case?

Anyways, yeah, you're probably right. It might be time to move on and "settle'. Ha, as though buying a Lexus (used or otherwise) is settling!

No matter what, a non-KDSS is gonna drive magnificently compared to my FJ Cruiser. At least the few test drives I've done seem to indicate this.
Old 12-01-16, 02:02 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Found a 2008 Salsa Red Pearl Sport Package and I'm going with it!

Twisty California mountain roads, look out!!!
Attached Thumbnails Best ON-ROAD Suspension Upgrade? (not OFFroad!)-1920.jpg  
Old 12-01-16, 06:32 PM
Luap
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good for you , how many miles and how much are you paying ??

Luap
Old 12-01-16, 07:44 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/5861658537.html

this may be worth a trip.
Old 12-01-16, 09:14 PM
Luap
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by maxx430
that's a very good deal

I paid $20K for a 2008 with 80K from original owner 10 days ago
Old 12-09-16, 02:02 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Originally Posted by 180ls1
The GX I'm about to purchase does have KDSS, but I wanted to see if you thought that new Poly bushings and new sway bar mounts can still add any additional improvement? Or would it be redundant?

Truck has 83k on it so I imagine bushings and mounts could stand to be replaced regardless.

What do you think?
The following users liked this post:
detrouge (10-13-23)
Old 02-17-18, 08:13 AM
arseum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time poster, and already broke a rule by bringing this thread back from the dead. I have not seen enough threads on on-road handling improvements, so hopefully this will continue that.

mstrsltr,

You won't regret it and hope that you did end up getting that sport edition with KDSS. If so, please update us with your review of it. Also, we're you able to upgrade the bushings to poly? I have only seen them offered for non-KDSS. I would think at least the D shaped bushings would be a different size than the non-KDSS since your bar diameter will be larger. I have also not heard many instances of the KDSS breaking down.

I unfortunately rushed my research on my 2009 and did not get KDSS. I got poly bushings that I have not yet installed, but am currently researching to see if my swaybars are shared by any other vehicle platforms. I am verifying, and would appreciate any help, if the 4R bars are the same as Addco sells larger diameter versions for front and back.

Quick Reply: Best ON-ROAD Suspension Upgrade? (not OFFroad!)