GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 Mods, Fixes, & Parts You Need

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 06:46 AM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Roochia
Okay, it has been a while, sorry I've been away from this post. I recently sold my GX for a Prius in order to get better mpg. I've been doing a bit of traveling.
You went from a GX470 to a Prius? Man what a downgrade. That's like going from a motorcycle to a bicycle. Sorry to hear that bro. Thanks for posting your tips though.
Old 05-18-17, 09:04 AM
Roochia
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deeken
You went from a GX470 to a Prius? Man what a downgrade. That's like going from a motorcycle to a bicycle. Sorry to hear that bro. Thanks for posting your tips though.
Haha, yeah, I guess in some ways it was a downgrade but I get great mpg now, which is nice for traveling. I do miss the GX when I want to let loose on a dirt road or climb a hill though!
Old 05-18-17, 09:29 AM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Haha, yeah, I guess in some ways it was a downgrade but I get great mpg now, which is nice for traveling. I do miss the GX when I want to let loose on a dirt road or climb a hill though!
Yeah I know what you mean. My other car is an Accord. We tend to drive that during the week and try to limit the GX usage during the weekends and trips. It's not as fun to drive as the GX but its almost twice the gas mileage.
Old 01-24-18, 06:02 AM
LoganDon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great thread

Hey guys, first post here, new to Club Lexus.

So, I recently sold a 4Runner for my "new" GX470 on a reccomendation from my father. (He is the Pre-Owned Director at a Lexus dealer in Atlanta) So far, I love it. Though, I have had to learn many new and interesting things about it in order to work out some kinks. Luckily, I enjoy turning wrenches in my spare time. After a ton of reading and browsing multiple sites, I figured I would compile a list of fixes for common problem areas and work I have done on my GX so far. Things that, through trial and error, I have figured out. Maybe this will help some folks.

Blown Door Speakers
OEM Speakers: Mark Levinson 8ohm
Size: 6”x9”

Problem
Foam woofer surround material disintegrated causing distorted sound.

Parts needed to fix (front door speakers)
DS18 MB69 6x9 speaker
Cost: $42 / pair
Site: Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Metra 82-8146 6x9 front speaker adapter (these mount the speakers to the door, a must have)
Cost: $12
Site: Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Metra 72-8104 Toyota Speaker connector (so you don’t have to cut any wires)
Cost: $7
Site: Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Install
1) Remove door panel screws under arm pad and door lever cover.
2) Remove the black triangle piece by the side mirror at the top of the door panel. This piece will simple pull off.
3) Pull the door panel from edges to pop the retaining clips and the door panel will come off with ease.
4) Carefully unplug wiring harnesses and cables going to the door handle and door lock mechanism.
5) With the door panel removed, unscrew the housing for the old speaker unit and remove plugin for speaker wires.
6) Install Metra 72-8104 Toyota Speaker connector, then Metra 82-8146 6x9 front speaker adapter, and mount the new 6x9 speakers.

Review
Though surely not as precise as the Mark Levinson’s, they do a great job. Would buy them again in a heartbeat. For around $60, you can’t beat it and they are 8ohm, which is necessary to replace the OEM speakers.

Rear Air Bags to Spring Conversion (without lift)
Problem
Air bag suspension fails, leaks, and costs an arm and a leg to replace.

Parts needed for install
Springs for FJ Cruiser (FJ springs are thicker than 4Runner springs and some opt for these for this reason, given the GX’s weight)
Model: Moog 81081
Cost: $50-$60
Site: Amazon or Ebay have these for around $60
https://www.amazon.com/Moog-81081-Co...oog+fj+springs

MetalTech Rear Coil Conversion Kit DIY (This holds the new springs in place on the axle and is a must)
Cost: $60
Site: http://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-792-gx...n-diy-kit.aspx

Toyota Spring Seat Assembly 48302-35040 (these are optional as the GX470 top mounts will hold the springs in place just fine)
Cost: $65
Site: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyot.../dp/B00GKH33NS

Install
(copied from the Metaltech install pdf and added a last step for air suspension fuse removal)
1) REMOVAL: Jack up the rear of the truck and support the with jack stands under the frame rail. Remove the rear tires.
a) Disconnect the sway bar links on the frame with a 12mm wrench.
b) Disconnect the wiring on both shocks located at the top. Once disconnected use a 17mm wrench to remove the bolt on the axle and stem mount on the frame.
c) Located on top of the frame where the air bag mounts you will see two air lines one going to each air bag. You’ll need to disconnect them; they are on a special quick release. You can see where the airline is mounted to by looking through the fender well between the body and frame.
d) Using a flashlight look through the fender well between the body and frame and there will be a spring clip hold the air bag in place. Use a long thing flat head screw driver and slide the clip out of its position. 1.5 Remove the air bag.

2) INSTALL: Remove old parts and prep for the installation for the new parts.
a) Install the spring cups on the axle using the ½ x 13 x 2.5” bolts, washers and nylocks with a ¾” wrench and socket.
b) Slide the spring tail isolators over the spring cups. Make sure the spring trail isolators orientation where the end of the pig tail is facing outwards towards the brakes.
c) Install the Prado 120 spring isolators (optional) on top of the spring.
d) Push down the axle on each side and install the new springs
e) Depending if you’re putting stock height springs or lifted springs, install your new/old shocks.
f) Install the sway bar links using the 12mm wrench.
g) Reinstall wheel and lower your GX470/4Runner back onto the ground.

3) Disconnecting the Fuses and Relay (so lights on dash don’t stay illuminated and searching for an air system)
a) Inside the engine bay you will locate the fuse/relay box on the driver side. One the inside of the panel will have a chart showing the location of all the fuses and relays. Locate the “Air Sus 50A” fuse and, if there, the “Air Sus Fuse #2”
b) Inside, under the steering column, locate the fuses. Pull the 20A “TEMS” fuse that should be the third from the right on the top row.

Review
So far, so great. The back sits about 1/2” higher in the back than the front, which I think is how many SUVs and trucks sit anyway. I could always add a 1/2” spacer to the front springs, but I’m going to wait and see if the new rear springs settle any first. I may even leave it as is even if they don’t as it really looks great. Ride-wise, it is near perfect. The spring rate seems to be great so far and very similar to the front OEM springs. I can’t really tell a difference between front and rear, you probably won’t either. Also, the security and peace of mind I have knowing I don’t have old air bags that keep messing up or giving me a harsh ride is wonderful.

Rear Drive Shaft Thunk, Clunk, Bang, and Clank
Problem
A common issue, “normal operating” if you ask Lexus, is that the vehicle, when you come to a stop, sometimes makes a clunk, or bang, and it feels like you just got rear-ended slightly. This is actually normal in the GX470 and, some say, in the 4x4 4Runner.
Folks have been trying to remedy this for quite a while and there is even a technical service bulletin out about it.

Fix
After a ton of reading on this, I had it narrowed down to being a lubrication issue in the yolk section. NOTE: Use Moly Grease.
On the drive shaft, you have two grease fittings, one on the universal joint and one on the yolk. The U-joint one can be greased until full. Eventually, grease will ooze out of the seals around the U-joint. This is perfectly fine, do it.
I found that the other fitting, the one on the driveshaft yolk, took quite a bit of grease as well (25 pumps). You want to watch it and make sure the yolk does not extend when you add grease.
If it does, you may need to unscrew the grease fitting and drive around the block so the grease comes back out, relieving pressure from the yolk.
After I did this, the clunk went away. It has only been a few days, but I will edit if it changes. I also read it is a good Idea to periodically add grease to the yolk fitting as needed (probably every other oil change).

Parts Needed
Grease Gun
Cost: $20
You can buy these from Autozone, Advance Auto, or Oreilly’s
Here is the one I bought: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0700&ppt=C0369

Moly Grease
Cost: $6
You can buy this from Autozone, Advance Auto, or Oreilly’s(make sure it says “Moly”)
Here is the type I bought:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...rd=moly+grease
Great thread. As a new gx owner and an old guy, this will help me. Kingman, AZ