GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Can't get answers to change stereos 03 GX470 WITHOUT NAV

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-16, 03:13 PM
alexincal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get answers to change stereos 03 GX470 WITHOUT NAV

Hi, I'm new to this forum and need some help. Every time I do a search for upgrading my stereo to one I can use my iphone with I get results for upgrading to a navigation system. I don't want the navigation system, just a better stereo. Is there no stereo that will fit in this 03 dash piece? The only thing I've seen that might apply is the one on the Installer's site but the opening seems really big to fit a regular stereo into.
I'm hoping this can be answered without going into the models that do have navigation.
Thanks for any help,
Alexandra
Old 10-18-16, 05:26 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

If your GX does not have factory navigation, you can literally fit any aftermarket head unit you wish, single DIN with a pocket/blanking plate, or double DIN. Nothing tricky here, just pick a deck and put it in. That's why there's not much info on it, there's no issue to overcome.

If you do have factory nav, then you're kinda screwed as your HVAC controls are integrated...no easy answer for upgrading the factory nav trucks.
Old 10-18-16, 05:35 PM
NMBruce
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2006 GX470 without nav, I now have a Kenwood DNX893s with Nav, Car Play, Bluetooth and more. I got wiring kit that tricks the amp, you will lose the fade, but other than that all speakers play. Next year sometime I will hardware new speakers and a new amp, but for now, I am happy.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/coo....904659/page-2. Post 26

Last edited by NMBruce; 10-18-16 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-18-16, 06:05 PM
alexincal
Driver School Candidate

Thank you IanB2. BTW, what is a DIN? I bought this car from my daughter and she looked into changing the stereo also and was told it wouldn't be possible because of the plate that covers it. Will I need a different wiring harness and will any stereo place be able to do it?

I also wondered why the title is 1st generation 2004 - 2009? Where is the 2003?
Old 10-18-16, 08:35 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You just need to find a decent installation shop that can order the trim piece and do the install. The shop your daughter went to wasn't competent. The reason I say this is that the questions you are asking are extremely basic, indicating you don't yet have the skills to do this without a shop to help. It's not meant as an insult, we all had to start somewhere.

There's a bit of a learning curve to installing a stereo in a GX compared to a 1980's beater vehicle, for example. And if you mess up, you could do thousands of dollars in electrical damage. It happens a lot.

For any competent shop, it's an easy install though. You can use just about any stereo that you want. Find one with the features you want, search out a local reputable shop, and tell them what you want. They'll order the trim piece and wiring harness adapter and install it when they get the parts in.
Old 10-19-16, 06:18 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Yep, OP needs professional help for a vehicle like the GX. For something like a 90's Accord, just order from Crutchfield and get the adapter harness & go.

Look at what vehicles they have worked on - they often have a photo album of past work. If they have exotics like Ferraris and Lamborghinis in there, that's a good sign.

Chip H.
Old 10-19-16, 06:46 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by alexincal
Thank you IanB2. BTW, what is a DIN? I bought this car from my daughter and she looked into changing the stereo also and was told it wouldn't be possible because of the plate that covers it. Will I need a different wiring harness and will any stereo place be able to do it?

I also wondered why the title is 1st generation 2004 - 2009? Where is the 2003?
DIN = standard headunit slot size, double DIN is 2X DIN tall slot.

2003 was like a 1/2 year production, not sure why the forum header doesn't include it. There's a few minor differences (I think the trans had a dipstick for example) but for the most part they are the same as an '04.
Old 10-19-16, 07:27 PM
NMBruce
Rookie

Also if you look at the link I gave, the trim piece need is in that thread. There is the high $$$ one and a cheap one that should work.
Old 10-30-16, 01:36 PM
alexincal
Driver School Candidate

Default Stereo options

i have no intentions of doing an install myself. I've done them myself on my old Mustangs and muscle cars way back in the 70's and 80's but as the kids say,"Nana, you can't do that stuff anymore!" those days and cars are gone. Anyway, I know that I can pick a stereo easy enough but what I don't get is the plate thing. It has all the different buttons and the opening for the old CD on anything I've seen or has the big square opening on others. Simply, I'm asking if there is a plate that covers everything but the stereo front that you can access the new buttons etc or is there only something that still looks like the original stuff is still there but you can still operate the new stereo. I've looked at the Crutchfield stuff and I don't get it. Do I have to get one custom made?
Old 10-31-16, 05:27 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Take a look on Alibaba and see if any of the Chinese makers have a panel for your GX.

Chip H.
Old 10-31-16, 06:19 PM
NMBruce
Rookie

Originally Posted by NMBruce
Also if you look at the link I gave, the trim piece need is in that thread. There is the high $$$ one and a cheap one that should work.
Originally Posted by alexincal
i have no intentions of doing an install myself. I've done them myself on my old Mustangs and muscle cars way back in the 70's and 80's but as the kids say,"Nana, you can't do that stuff anymore!" those days and cars are gone. Anyway, I know that I can pick a stereo easy enough but what I don't get is the plate thing. It has all the different buttons and the opening for the old CD on anything I've seen or has the big square opening on others. Simply, I'm asking if there is a plate that covers everything but the stereo front that you can access the new buttons etc or is there only something that still looks like the original stuff is still there but you can still operate the new stereo. I've looked at the Crutchfield stuff and I don't get it. Do I have to get one custom made?

Here is the beat Sonic one, cost a lot of money, but I think it will do what you want. the opening on top is for a double din and the bottom is for your heater and A/C control.
http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beat-son...-81-82aad.html

this one is a lot cheaper and I think it will work, hooking up to the old part that house the heater/A/C controls
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Lexus-Car-Radio-Stereo-Double-Din-Installation-Car-Mount-Trim-Dash-Kit-/361435875579?fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3AGX470&hash=item542741c8fb:m:m1eNYlilxJOLGfK7Lck9L8g&vxp=mtr&rmvSB=true

it this what your talking about?
Old 11-03-16, 09:46 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.jewellet.com/Android-Toyo...ado-Navigation