GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Passenger side Catalytic converter

Old 10-12-16, 11:04 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Passenger side Catalytic converter

OK so all my lights were on in the dash, took it to the dealer and the diagnosis is to replace the passenger side catalytic converter...$2,250 big ones...car is an 03 Gx original owner with only $260K on it. Thoughts on disposal, fix it, or run it as is. My feeling is to run it as it as I see no difference in engine noise, hesitation etc.

Thoughts???
Old 10-12-16, 02:01 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

That doesn't sound right at all. The converter is part of the manifold, and the part cost is only $477

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=790564&ukey_make=1082&ukey_model=15663&modelYear=2003&ukey_category=21750&ukey_driveLine=8091&ukey_trimLevel=19100

Even if they were also replacing the O2 sensors (about $150 each at the dealer) it wouldn't approach that.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=793774&ukey_make=1082&ukey_model=15663&modelYear=2003&ukey_category=21749&ukey_driveLine=8091&ukey_trimLevel=19100

I would get a second opinion from a Toyota dealer.
You probably do want to fix this, as you wouldn't pass your emissions test.

Chip H.
Old 10-13-16, 03:29 AM
GRAYM
Driver

yea it is at a toyota dealer as the nearest lexus is too far away for this. also it includes 10 hours of labor and all the xtra pieces etc as they say. i am thinking to just run it until i need an emissions test a year from now. i may even look to trade it as well when i may only get 5K as a trade....thoughts?? also i may even look at an independent shop just to get an idea. so far no indication of any issues with the engine etc.
Old 10-13-16, 03:29 AM
GRAYM
Driver

yea it is at a toyota dealer as the nearest lexus is too far away for this. also it includes 10 hours of labor and all the xtra pieces etc as they say. i am thinking to just run it until i need an emissions test a year from now. i may even look to trade it as well when i may only get 5K as a trade....thoughts?? also i may even look at an independent shop just to get an idea. so far no indication of any issues with the engine etc.
Old 10-13-16, 10:05 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Get an 02 spacer and run it. $5 and the code will go away. It will not effect the operation of the engine in any way.

Old 10-13-16, 10:18 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Originally Posted by BradTank
Get an 02 spacer and run it. $5 and the code will go away. It will not effect the operation of the engine in any way.

Part number?? from??? directions to do so, not mechanically inclined so if its doable easily let me know

is there any other way just to get rid of the lights in the dash overall? fuse etc???
Old 10-13-16, 12:20 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by GRAYM
Part number?? from??? directions to do so, not mechanically inclined so if its doable easily let me know

is there any other way just to get rid of the lights in the dash overall? fuse etc???

It's in the "HELP!" section at any AutoZone or O'Reilly type shop sold as "spark plug non-foulers"

You can also go online at like Ebay or Amazon and find other models that have different sizes and offsets, but the threads are universal. Sometimes though the extra length can be an issue where it hits the body, so you might want to measure before you buy one if the exhaust is close to the body. But most of the time the shorter one should be fine.

What this does is position the downstream oxygen sensor that monitors the efficiency of the catalytic converter further away from the exhaust stream so it no longer flashes the code that here's an issue with the cat converter. I've used one on another Lexus because I basically had the same issue on a really high mileage car. Replace the catalytic converter for big bucks or run one of these.

A dealer or shop is not going to tell you about these because they want you to spend a lot of money replacing the catalytic converters.

If you feel unfamiliar with this job, a good independent exhaust shop should hook you up for not much money, but just be aware it's a bit "gray" and sort of an "off road only" type thing. Many people that "mod" a car with a more free flowing exhaust use them so they don't get that check engine light.

You don't want to take out the check engine light completely because

A) If you do have a legitimate "check engine"problem, you won't know if you've removed it
B) if you have emissions, it won't pass if it's making the CEL code

The spacer eliminates both of these problems.
Old 10-13-16, 12:27 PM
GRAYM
Driver

thanks I will give this a try, any thoughts on the passenger side process? If I can attempt this myself i may as well give it a try
Old 10-13-16, 01:03 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by GRAYM
thanks I will give this a try, any thoughts on the passenger side process? If I can attempt this myself i may as well give it a try

Do some research online as I have no idea about how hard or easy it to get access to the sensors on this Lexus, but all you're doing is unscrewing the O2 sensor and screwing this spacer on, then putting it back.

The one issue is the wires becoming twisted as you're screwing and unscrewing this, the best way is if you can disconnect the O2 sensor from the harness first, and then unscrew it put the spacer on and attach to exhaust, then reconnect the harness.

One additional problem I had was the "threads" came out with it and I have to retap threads into the exhaust. So you might want to soak the threads good with something like PB Blaster.

Make sure it's the O2 sensor(s) AFTER the catalytic converter, not before.

9 times out of 10, it's a very easy project that's about as difficult as changing you oil.
Old 10-13-16, 02:21 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

because they want you to spend a lot of money replacing the catalytic converters.
More than likely, they're legally obliged to follow the state & federal emissions laws, on penalty of losing their inspection station license.

Chip H.
Old 10-13-16, 02:47 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by chiph9
More than likely, they're legally obliged to follow the state & federal emissions laws, on penalty of losing their inspection station license.

Chip H.

Sure, but not every state has shops with inspection licenses for emissions (mine doesn't). And it is a nice windfall for them to do the job.

Obviously, a shop can't break the rules publicly, but let me put it this way, if it was a friend or family member's car, the tech would recommend something like this on a car with close to 300k miles before they would say to spend that much money replacing the catalytic converters in order to get the check engine light to go off.
Old 10-14-16, 03:33 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Originally Posted by BradTank
Sure, but not every state has shops with inspection licenses for emissions (mine doesn't). And it is a nice windfall for them to do the job.

Obviously, a shop can't break the rules publicly, but let me put it this way, if it was a friend or family member's car, the tech would recommend something like this on a car with close to 300k miles before they would say to spend that much money replacing the catalytic converters in order to get the check engine light to go off.

Exactly and I am not going to cause the ice caps to melt because of this either, I have a message out to my independent shop that I work with and hopefully he can do it or let me know who would fix it on the side for me...2K in repairs for an 03 with 260K of miles is not happening for me when the car in is really good shape.

Thanks for all the helpful advice here.....glad I have this forum to bounce ideas off of. I know I caught the toyota dealership off guard when I said no...I'll pass on it.
Old 10-16-16, 03:31 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I know 'someone' who ran the spark plug non-foulers for years on his Chevy Blazer with no problems. It's a good solution, but in his case he had to stack 2 of them together to get the light to stay off. So if one doesn't turn the light off, add another.
Old 10-17-16, 08:08 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Ok so this job seem real simple overall, and I found the one that I am going to buy...however, can anyone point me to the exact place where this downstream sensor resides on my 03 Gx 470??? If I don;t have to lift the thing up to get to it, I should be fine.

Hope you can point me in the right direction!!
Old 10-17-16, 08:31 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Take a look at the 2nd parts diagram I posted earlier.

Chip H.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passenger side Catalytic converter