GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-18, 06:31 AM
Sjone
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of posts about these on the ih8mud 120 series forum as well as GXOR facebook group. BeEvil yours is the one good case I mentioned. Note: all of the reports I've seen of them dying early seem to be in warmer climates so maybe that's something. Also the phoenix guys have apparently been very difficult to get responses from on anything other than install help.
The following users liked this post:
BeEvil (06-07-18)
Old 06-16-18, 05:24 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I actually spoke to Phoenix!! read my post! It was a guy on his cell phone! I was asking him questions, he could not answer!!! Example, Do you have the metal case unit in stock? His response "What does it say on the website?" He could not answer other general inquiries either. I heard background noise such as he was at his home not a office! THIS IS NOT A COMPANY!!! I asked him DIRECTLY! "ARE THESE COMING FROM CHINA?" his answer was "YES THEY ARE" He could not and did not sound professional, to be honest I blew up his phone until he answered. I would think he would stock at least 1 of each if he was a store or installer. If I caught him away from the office, he should have had someone return my call or sent me directly to them. I tried the toll free # and it wasnt working. Unfortunately moving is more expensive than I thought, it also sucks, so I have to hold off on the DLC radio and wheels! BeEvil found a good working product, I will be purchasing the exact same unit as he did.
BeEvil (06-18-18)
Old 06-22-18, 09:26 PM
Kelevra
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
I actually spoke to Phoenix!! read my post! It was a guy on his cell phone! I was asking him questions, he could not answer!!! Example, Do you have the metal case unit in stock? His response "What does it say on the website?" He could not answer other general inquiries either. I heard background noise such as he was at his home not a office! THIS IS NOT A COMPANY!!! I asked him DIRECTLY! "ARE THESE COMING FROM CHINA?" his answer was "YES THEY ARE" He could not and did not sound professional, to be honest I blew up his phone until he answered. I would think he would stock at least 1 of each if he was a store or installer. If I caught him away from the office, he should have had someone return my call or sent me directly to them. I tried the toll free # and it wasnt working. Unfortunately moving is more expensive than I thought, it also sucks, so I have to hold off on the DLC radio and wheels! BeEvil found a good working product, I will be purchasing the exact same unit as he did.
I believe they have an "office" up in LA, Union Bank Building. I tried calling for one, they never picked up the phone.
Old 06-23-18, 11:36 AM
Kelevra
Driver

I don't know if this is ok to post, Mod, If not ok, please delete.
Looks like over on GXOR they are doing a "Group Buy" on these head units. I am thinking about buying one now.
Old 06-24-18, 08:00 AM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelevra
Looks like over on GXOR they are doing a "Group Buy" on these head units. I am thinking about buying one now.
I cooled off on my interest to move forward with a unit. The quality discussions here on this board have me hesitant until I can find more data around how good these things are. I'd hate to buy one, and have it conk out after a few months, with little chance of support.
Old 06-24-18, 04:01 PM
Kelevra
Driver

Originally Posted by Turbinator
I cooled off on my interest to move forward with a unit. The quality discussions here on this board have me hesitant until I can find more data around how good these things are. I'd hate to buy one, and have it conk out after a few months, with little chance of support.
I hear you, even with the company offering a 1 year warranty, you never know. They could be gone tomorrow. Looks like the $400.00 range for a group buy. With that in mind , I am rethinking my stance on this particular item. I was thinking to get in on the "group buy", then retain my stock components. If it works great, if issues, I can go back to my original set up. I really like the look of the Phoenix unit. That being said, has anyone converted a Nav GX to a non Nav face and installed an AVIC or such? Just thinking out-loud.
Old 06-27-18, 12:23 PM
drew4man
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,
Im new on here, just purchased a Grom audio VL2 unit for my OEM Nav system in my 08 GX 470. I figured I would give some updates on the system and how well it works when I get it installed, since there are not any posts about the VL2 on here. Its a pretty intriguing set up, and if you want to see more about it you can use the link below.

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/le...nt_system.html
Old 07-07-18, 05:04 PM
ShellyGX
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelevra

Can someone here who is on Facebook connect this group to them for the group buy option?

Ask one of the GXOR folk to chime in here and give us details?

Would help them get numbers and all get lower price maybe..
Old 07-09-18, 05:56 AM
KingSun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drew4man
Hey all,
Im new on here, just purchased a Grom audio VL2 unit for my OEM Nav system in my 08 GX 470. I figured I would give some updates on the system and how well it works when I get it installed, since there are not any posts about the VL2 on here. Its a pretty intriguing set up, and if you want to see more about it you can use the link below.

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/le...nt_system.html

Any updates? Any bugs? I heard that the IS have issues with this.
Old 09-26-18, 06:51 PM
urzh
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the full install with guides on how to adjust settings including radio theme, controls, boot logo, and more. Rear-view camera install guide coming soon. The other guides are at the end of the post https://becomethesolution.com/news/i...o-lexus-gx-470
CebuGX (09-26-18)
Old 09-26-18, 06:54 PM
urzh
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And nothing beats the Phoenix aftermarket stereo for 03-09 1st generation GX's. The screen really makes it. I would not drop $600 for a same size aftermarket radio with the same features as the Phoenix with the same size OEM screen. Everything WORKS with the Phoenix, just need to massage it.
CebuGX (09-26-18)
Old 09-26-18, 07:15 PM
Kelevra
Driver

Originally Posted by urzh
Here is the full install with guides on how to adjust settings including radio theme, controls, boot logo, and more. Rear-view camera install guide coming soon. The other guides are at the end of the post https://becomethesolution.com/news/i...o-lexus-gx-470
Thank you so much for posting this up!
I purchased a Phoenix last month. While it is working and was mostly "Plug and Play" this really helps.

Thanks again,

B
Old 09-27-18, 11:53 PM
JTSMG
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice set up I'm looking to do the same
Old 09-28-18, 12:25 AM
JTSMG
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice write up
Old 09-28-18, 05:47 PM
Brianflo
Driver School Candidate

Default Phoenix display

For those who have the Phoenix does it always have a picture of a car. All the images I’ve seen show cars usually a Lexus but since we are on a GX forum what’s strange is it’s usually cars. I was hoping to be able to take out my stock 04 radio/cassette deck and go to a newer Lexus deck that had Bluetooth but I don’t think that can be done

anybody know if possible

Quick Reply: GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?