GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 05:44 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I will definitely let you know how the install goes. The most difficult part is being careful not to damage the wood trim on the sides when removing them, they are not cheap to replace! I installed a USA Spec45 so I would think my existing microphone should work, should be the same kind of plug, I ran it through the glove box up the A pillar in the headliner and mounted it by the rear view mirror, if I have to do it again, no big deal. The power outlet near the heated seat controls I ran a flush mounted duaI usb 2.1 port and t made the cig lighter flush mounted usb 2.1 and aux jack. So the usb ports will be easy to hook up. Not sure about the GPS sensor, but I will figure it out. Evil thanks so much for being the leader on this and pulling the trigger! I totally agree with you, the 1 with the buttons on the side imo isnt for me. Why have a couple buttons and give up screen space? Even that screen when cold wont operate, sure you can hit the temp up 10 times and the fan up 5 but the screen itself will be just as slow or blank until it warms up. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. It will be a little while before I will be able to order mine, I am getting ready to relocate from Chicago to Phoenix. But As soon as possible, this is getting done!
The following users liked this post:
BeEvil (02-12-18)
Old 03-07-18, 10:13 PM
Nautical07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! Brand new here but have been following this thread since it started. I have been patiently been waiting for the right GX to buy. I have now found it and want to do this upgrade ASAP. Has anyone else gone through with this install?
Old 03-25-18, 07:55 PM
TeamAVL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been able to replicate this install? If we could get an install walkthrough it would be an amazing contribution to the community.
Old 03-26-18, 09:01 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamAVL
Has anyone been able to replicate this install? If we could get an install walkthrough it would be an amazing contribution to the community.
I was thinking the same thing last week. An update on my install. Still working flawlessly, absolutely no complaints.
Old 03-26-18, 02:24 PM
RickyCRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm stupid, but in an effort to want a better navigation solution, I went and purchased one of these Phoenix Android radios for my '05 GX. Mine has the Mark Levinson system with the factory Lexus navigation. I installed one of these units on a base model 2012 Ford Focus recently and it was VERY much plug-and-play with no issues at all. I'm hoping the GX version will be similar.

The radio came a day or two before my son was born, so I haven't had a whole lot of free time to tinker with it yet. I should be able to have some updates on my installation very soon. I'll try to take some pictures if I remember.

Originally Posted by Tdoll
The problem with these pheonix android systems are that they work with over seas gx, but apparently the US version uses a different amp. So far they have a/c controls working, but no sound. Maybe a reflash and they might have it up and running. We will find out in the next month or two I am betting.
Old 03-26-18, 06:40 PM
vman932
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BeEvil
I was thinking the same thing last week. An update on my install. Still working flawlessly, absolutely no complaints.
-Can you take a couple of pictures further back (showing the entire dash area)? Most of your pictures are up close and I'm curious to see how the black bezel around the screen blends with the OEM trim around it. Does it stand out or look out of place?
-I assume the units on the climate control can be changed from *C to *F, but please confirm.
-Are there any guidelines when using the reverse camera? Or is it just the image like stock?

Thanks
Old 03-27-18, 04:06 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Originally Posted by vman932
-Can you take a couple of pictures further back (showing the entire dash area)? Most of your pictures are up close and I'm curious to see how the black bezel around the screen blends with the OEM trim around it. Does it stand out or look out of place?
-I assume the units on the climate control can be changed from *C to *F, but please confirm.
-Are there any guidelines when using the reverse camera? Or is it just the image like stock?

Thanks
- I'll try to get photos today. But I can tell you it looks perfectly natural and looks like it's always been there.
- Yes, all units can be changed it's completely user friendly and easy to navigate.
- There are guidelines when reversing but they are fixed and don't bend depending on how you turn the wheel. Still much better than stock.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I'm happy to help.
Old 03-27-18, 08:58 PM
92bda9
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Entertainment System

Does anyone know if the rear entertainment still works with this system?
Old 03-28-18, 04:02 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Originally Posted by 92bda9
Does anyone know if the rear entertainment still works with this system?
The rear DVD/Entertainment is a stand alone system and is not affected by the replacement of the NAV system.
Old 03-29-18, 04:34 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Photos as promised. As you can see it looks OEM.

The following 3 users liked this post by BeEvil:
Galanty (08-03-18), IanB2 (04-05-18), LJGS300 (03-31-18)
Old 03-30-18, 11:45 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

What is mounted on the dash? Rear cam? Your installer should have hooked it up to the install
Old 03-30-18, 12:07 PM
BeEvil
Driver

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
What is mounted on the dash? Rear cam? Your installer should have hooked it up to the install
Its a front camera that I use in case of an accident. There are a lot of bad drivers in the Toronto area.
Old 04-05-18, 06:33 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

That makes sense now! Good thinking! Lol I had a few set backs unfortunately so my relocating has been delayed. Everything seems to be getting back on track so hopefully I will be placing a order for 1 of the units within the next few months. Whenever I do I will be in a warmer climate all year so I can take pictures of the install, in Chicago it is difficult to do in the winter. I'll be sure to keep in touch!
Old 04-05-18, 11:59 AM
JSSinoda
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey @BeEvil, Thanks for the info... I'm sold. I'll be ordering the version with the buttons on the side so once mine arrives, I'll do my best to share the installation process with the group. I know it's been said already, but thanks for pulling the trigger and being the guinea pig for us all. I was going to say Martyr, but is seems like things are still going strong. Thanks, again. AJ
The following users liked this post:
BeEvil (04-06-18)
Old 04-06-18, 04:10 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Originally Posted by JSSinoda
Hey @BeEvil, Thanks for the info... I'm sold. I'll be ordering the version with the buttons on the side so once mine arrives, I'll do my best to share the installation process with the group. I know it's been said already, but thanks for pulling the trigger and being the guinea pig for us all. I was going to say Martyr, but is seems like things are still going strong. Thanks, again. AJ
@JSSinoda - The only concern with the one with the buttons, as far as I'm aware, is that it hasn't been proven to work yet. Mine is the only one to be proven. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?