GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rat ate my car!!! Help needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-16, 06:18 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rat ate my car!!! Help needed!!!

I live in a condominium with an underground parking garage. I drove yesterday all day but today when I came to the car I found this:

I popped the hood and found that the wires to my HID ballast near the buttery were cut and the battery tray was full of liquid. Took me a minute to realize that a freaking rodent chewed through the wires.

I'm still puzzled how the hell the acid got out of the battery? Is it possible for the rodent to chew through the battery case? It's dry on the top...

And of course I can't start the truck now either. It turns well, but sputters and doesn't start... I need some sort of navigation from you guys... What fuses or what else to look for. I just hope that ***** didn't chew through the harness...

Gust can't believe it killed my car over night...
Old 05-07-16, 07:00 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

It's impossible to tell you what to fix without knowing what wiring is chewed. And get that battery out ASAP and clean that acid, it'll corrode and eat through everything it comes in contact with, including more wiring.
Old 05-07-16, 07:27 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Yes, Rats and chew through steel pipes. Battery would be nothing to them.
Old 05-07-16, 08:43 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

So far I found this:

I'm not sure what sensor is that, but I don't think it should prevent the starting and running the car. Am I right?

Battery wasn't chewd through, but had a visible signs of chewing.

What ever shortage caused the battery spill a nori bile amount of acid is pazzeling me. Any ideas guys? The battery seems to operate well still. If it boiled the acid out through the top vents, how in the world it still turns the motor and the top is dry? I'm lost!
Old 05-07-16, 08:46 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
It's impossible to tell you what to fix without knowing what wiring is chewed. And get that battery out ASAP and clean that acid, it'll corrode and eat through everything it comes in contact with, including more wiring.
Ya I filled a water bottle with 1/2 a bag of salt in attempt to neutralize the acid. I thought if a battery was shorted to the point of boiling so much acid out it wouldn't work any longer. When I crank the motor it turns like always.
Old 05-07-16, 09:54 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seeing this happen more and more often now especially with newer vehicles. but it's definitely an insurance claim you should file. but fwir there was a court case with someone vs a large car manufacturer that all the wiring looms are made or coated with animal fat and that's what draws rodents to chew on the wires.
Old 05-08-16, 05:27 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

that rat eat through that battery casing. Some hungry bastards
Old 05-08-16, 08:14 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow--that hid ballast wire looks like someone cut it with wire cutters--very clean cut
Old 05-09-16, 04:48 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

He honed his teeth on that battery casing
Old 05-09-16, 03:34 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

he probably shorted the battery which led to the overheating and the fluids bursting out.
my guess it the battery lost a couple cells at the least, it will turn the car over but you need to do a voltage check to see how much its actually putting out cause it might not turn on the EFI etc..
It should be replaced its really a risky battery to use at this point.

looks like that might be the coolant sensor, so car might not see its a cold start, which affects the starting as that is what the ecu uses to figure out how much cold start fuel to add, try giving it throttle on the next start sometimes that will let it start without the extra cold start fuel although I am not sure that even works on electronically controlled throttle bodies like the 2uz has. still in warm weather it should sound like its trying to start even without the extra cold start fuel.

I would also check the cam sensor wire on the front of the drivers side valve cover, if that one is chewed the car will never start, not even a chance, ignition or fuel will not even trigger by ecu. same if any of the coil wires are chewed through. I say the cam wire cause its right there by the battery on the front, and its really inbetween the battery and that one that is chewed through, like really smack in the middle.

also surprised there isn't a barbequed rat in the engine bay after that battery wire.