GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

How to? Add XM Radio to 2005 GX 470?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-16, 06:49 PM
orion7mm
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to? Add XM Radio to 2005 GX 470?

I realize this may be an old topic ... but , the Lexus is new to us. Your lessons learned and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Specifically -- Has anyone used the iSimple ISTY651 "Connect" Interface and wiring harness, ISSR-12 Cable, and SiriusXM SXV-200 Tuner combination on a 2005 Lexus factory radio with NAV and ML?

Our GX has the P1754 radio with AM/FM/TAPE/DISC buttons. It does not have the AM/SAT or SAT button.

If the above combination is a good way to go, does it display and control the XM via the NAV screen? Do you lose any other functions -- e.g. the CD?

Thank you.
Old 04-25-16, 01:01 AM
lepoch
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi,

This doesn't answer your question but have you taken a look at http://www.vaistech.com/site/satradio.php
I installed an earlier version in 2006.
Old 04-26-16, 07:16 PM
orion7mm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lepoch
Hi,

This doesn't answer your question but have you taken a look at http://www.vaistech.com/site/satradio.php
I installed an earlier version in 2006.

Howdy lepoch,

Thanks for your reply. Based on your suggestion I have visited the vaistech site and spoke to one of their tech reps. They are confident that their SL3sat interface and harness will work on our 2005 GX.

Does / Did your 2006 GX have a AM/SAT or separate SAT button on the factory head unit?

If it only had an AM button (like our 2005) did it recognize and display the XM channels (on the NAV screen) once you had connected the VaisTech interface and SiriusXM tuner?

Thanks again for sharing your experience.
Old 04-26-16, 07:35 PM
lepoch
Rookie

Originally Posted by orion7mm
Howdy lepoch,

Thanks for your reply. Based on your suggestion I have visited the vaistech site and spoke to one of their tech reps. They are confident that their SL3sat interface and harness will work on our 2005 GX.

Does / Did your 2006 GX have a AM/SAT or separate SAT button on the factory head unit?

If it only had an AM button (like our 2005) did it recognize and display the XM channels (on the NAV screen) once you had connected the VaisTech interface and SiriusXM tuner?

Thanks again for sharing your experience.
Hi, no SAT button at all. I have version 1 of the 1st gen interface from vaistech from 2005 and it emulates a minidisc player (MD) for the XM. It displays the channel number and he first 10 characters of the channel name on the Nav screen--but don't use my system as a guide since it's totally different now. The version 1.1 interface that was released a few months after my install functioned as a real SAT though.

Good luck!
Old 04-27-16, 12:51 PM
orion7mm
Driver School Candidate

Hi, no SAT button at all. I have version 1 of the 1st gen interface from vaistech from 2005 and it emulates a minidisc player (MD) for the XM. It displays the channel number and he first 10 characters of the channel name on the Nav screen--but don't use my system as a guide since it's totally different now. The version 1.1 interface that was released a few months after my install functioned as a real SAT though.

Good luck!

Thanks again lepoch! That is really good information. In fact, yours is the first definitive answer I have found. No one at Lexus "cust svc" or at 2 dealers could confirm that a 2nd push of the AM button on my factory radio would recognize the XM (once a SAT tuner was connected via an interface and harness.)

Searching different Threads on CL has led to comments that suggested XM would be accessed via a 2nd push of the AM ... but, most of what I've found were related to other models or different radios.

Cheers!
Old 04-28-16, 04:44 PM
lepoch
Rookie

Hi, on my unit the CD button activates the XM. Another way to do that is to push the mode button on the steering wheel, the Lexus system rotates through AM, FM1, FM2, Tape, CD, MD (XM) then AM, FM1, FM2, Tape, CD, MD (aux input).

I have the SL1 model so it's nothing like the new vaistech solution.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-16-16, 04:28 PM
orion7mm
Driver School Candidate

Default Added XM Radio to my 2005 GX 470

Hi, on my unit the CD button activates the XM. Another way to do that is to push the mode button on the steering wheel, the Lexus system rotates through AM, FM1, FM2, Tape, CD, MD (XM) then AM, FM1, FM2, Tape, CD, MD (aux input).

I have the SL1 model so it's nothing like the new vaistech solution.

Hope this helps.

Howdy Lepoch,

Thank you again for the info on Vaistech of Colorado. (P:720-733-2348)

I had the Vaistech SL3sat-Lexus Interface kit and Sirius-XM SXV-300 Tuner installed on my GX last week. (Had it installed by a Best Buy "Geek Squad" tech -- He did a very fine job. Total install time was under 2 hrs.)

These components work exactly as a person would hope.

The three SAT screens display on the NAV screen with successive pressing of the AM button on the factory radio head-unit, or cycling thru the Mode button on the steering wheel. The three SAT screens have 6 channel selections on each screen, which display Channel and Genre info. By touching the TEXT box, Title and Artist info can be displayed. The steering wheel radio controls work exactly as they should. None of the other factory radio functions are lost or effected. The new components fit out-of-sight behind the factory radio. The Tech used the small S-XM antenna that came with the SXV-300 and located it centered on the rear roof.

Very Pleased with the result, and overall cost was quite fair. ($250 for the Kit -- including Tuner -- and $85 Install. Plus, $114 for year of XM.)

orion7mm in WYO