GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Would you Consider Buying this 470?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-16, 10:23 PM
girlwstyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Would you Consider Buying this 470?

Found this recently and wanted to get your input on if you'd go for it. It is a 2003 which I know doesn't have some of the features the newer (2005+) models have but it's in my price range and the mileage isn't bad for how old it is!

-Actual mileage is showing 118k on the Lexus Driver & Autocheck forms (vs the 111k on the listing).

-It's got a good service history from what I can find so far with the important milestones taken care of on time if not always early (timing belt, radiator, fluid flushes, etc).

**Was a 1 owner vehicle that made it's way to California from Florida so Rust would be a concern when checking it out

***In the past 4 years it was somehow only driven for 7k miles?! I don't drive much at all but this seems nearly impossible unless it was just sitting...and if that's the case...is that worrisome?

Here is the Listing on KBB: http://www.kbb.com/cars-for-sale/321...uv&distance=75

Key Details:
1 Owner Vehicle *Did start out in florida and make it's way to California
111,417 Miles
Silver Pine
5 Speed Automatic Transmission
4 wheel drive - rear
VIN: JTJBT20X130015195

Installed Options
4WD
Old 04-12-16, 06:30 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

KBB detects my ad-blocker, so I can't see the listing.

The low mileage might have been because it was owned by a retiree (it's Florida...). Or because it became a 2nd or 3rd vehicle and just wasn't driven all that often, and they finally decided to get rid of it to stop paying the insurance.

Sitting isn't the worst, but I would check the tire condition, and it probably needs a battery.

Chip H.
Old 04-12-16, 08:25 AM
Rockbus
Driver School Candidate

Looks nice. Check for dash cracks, make sure the air ride height adjustment works without any issues. As previously mentioned tires and battery. The pictures of the dash is not clear enough to be definite, but there is a line on the dash above the glove compartment. Make sure to check it out.

If there is a crack in the dash make sure Lexus inspects it and will replace it for free before buying the car (get it in writing from Lexus).

7k/4 years is something like 150 miles a month. 5 miles a day. Some people walk more than that. Then again if they are old retired farts they might not drive much. If there are any receipts from the previous owner give them a call and ask about the car's history.

If you have not already check the lexus website for maintenance records under the VIN.

Good luck.
Old 04-12-16, 10:46 AM
matmanx1
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Check it out in person or have someone check it out in person for you. If the maintenance history is good and the actual physical condition is good with working air suspension and no leaks then I wouldn't be afraid of this one.
Old 04-12-16, 12:01 PM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

Seems a little over-priced to be honest.

My Interior was in similar condition with tires in good condition, and ML Sound, Nav, and Tow package. All fluids changed at 100K, New Timing Belt Front bearings. $11K

I only had 5k more miles than that car. Granted I did need to put new front brakes on the car, so lets call that $400. I'd ask for the service records on that car to see what was done and what you will be in for in the future.
Old 04-14-16, 02:02 PM
cgdrennan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that was close to me when I was looking to buy I would have definitely considered it. It is not overpriced based on what I have seen locally up here in the Seattle area. The interior looks great and what is nice about the '03 is that it has a transmission dipstick so you can change your fluid a lot easier than those of us with the 'sealed' transmissions. Another plus to me (and I think many others here would agree) is that it doesn't have the navigation making it easier to upgrade the sound system in the future. Like others have suggested, check to make sure the height control works properly. Good luck!
Old 04-22-16, 11:47 AM
girlwstyle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cgdrennan
If that was close to me when I was looking to buy I would have definitely considered it. It is not overpriced based on what I have seen locally up here in the Seattle area.
Awesome- I'll take a look!

The interior looks great and what is nice about the '03 is that it has a transmission dipstick so you can change your fluid a lot easier than those of us with the 'sealed' transmissions.
I haven't even thought about that aspect-

Another plus to me (and I think many others here would agree) is that it doesn't have the navigation making it easier to upgrade the sound system in the future. Like others have suggested, check to make sure the height control works properly. Good luck!
Yep- Thanks to this forum I went from looking for one with navigation to preferring that it doesn't have it so that I can upgrade if I want too. I never would have known that!
Old 04-22-16, 11:49 AM
girlwstyle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SkeetShoot
Seems a little over-priced to be honest.

My Interior was in similar condition with tires in good condition, and ML Sound, Nav, and Tow package. All fluids changed at 100K, New Timing Belt Front bearings. $11K

I only had 5k more miles than that car. Granted I did need to put new front brakes on the car, so lets call that $400. I'd ask for the service records on that car to see what was done and what you will be in for in the future.
What area are you located in? I'm in southern california and have been driving all over the tri-county area for about 7 months and coming up dry on one that's been taken care of and won't cause me a lot of issues. My budget is under 15k so I've been expecting the 120-180k mile range for my purchase. I'd love to find a great one at a cheaper price but waiting for a car is getting exhausting.