GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New to the club - needs some work

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-16, 08:12 PM
Inglysh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the club - needs some work

I just bought a new to me 2006 gx470.
My previous cars were a 4runner (04) and a fj (08)
Before I traded in my FJ, I had just put the toytec/bilstein lift on all four corners which is relevant...
Because the GX is in need of a suspension replacement.
I was pretty happy with the ride on the FJ after the lift - it was quite comfortable/I was satisfied.
I don't need the lift, but the suspension does need some work as there is very little damping at this point. If I wanted at least as good of a ride quality at stock height, what do I need to go after to get it done?

Also... with the bagged rear, once that goes, is it just a matter of pulling a fuse or something to get a standard rear axle? I don't care too much in any way about the adjustable ride height/I find it a bit unnecessary.

The center diff doesn't lock on this unit. It didn't surprise me in the least and having come from a 4runner, I have heard of the issues before as well as the fixes. Something tells me that the thing was never used and it's completely gummed. 4hi/4lo work fine and as much as I'd like to 'fix' it, it would be worse to get it 'fixed' and then get the diff stuck in the locked position.
If everything is working fine, is there anything necessitating it's repair (I'm talking about backing out the bolts and whacking it to jar it loose -vs- a rip/replace)?

Thanks for the thoughts/comments in advance.

J
Old 03-30-16, 06:33 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Try an accelerated fluid replacement schedule - the fresh fluid may dilute any gunk.

Also, look under there and see if the wires to the transfer case are damaged.

The other possibility is that an internal seal has given way, and the electrical contacts have become contaminated with fluid, so the computer is getting bad info about the locker position.

Chip H.
Old 03-30-16, 09:06 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Inglysh
I just bought a new to me 2006 gx470.
My previous cars were a 4runner (04) and a fj (08)
Before I traded in my FJ, I had just put the toytec/bilstein lift on all four corners which is relevant...
Because the GX is in need of a suspension replacement.
I was pretty happy with the ride on the FJ after the lift - it was quite comfortable/I was satisfied.
I don't need the lift, but the suspension does need some work as there is very little damping at this point. If I wanted at least as good of a ride quality at stock height, what do I need to go after to get it done?

Also... with the bagged rear, once that goes, is it just a matter of pulling a fuse or something to get a standard rear axle? I don't care too much in any way about the adjustable ride height/I find it a bit unnecessary.

The center diff doesn't lock on this unit. It didn't surprise me in the least and having come from a 4runner, I have heard of the issues before as well as the fixes. Something tells me that the thing was never used and it's completely gummed. 4hi/4lo work fine and as much as I'd like to 'fix' it, it would be worse to get it 'fixed' and then get the diff stuck in the locked position.
If everything is working fine, is there anything necessitating it's repair (I'm talking about backing out the bolts and whacking it to jar it loose -vs- a rip/replace)?

Thanks for the thoughts/comments in advance.

J

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/colo...-build.915214/

Check out my build. We may have the same stuff. If so. It will work great.
Old 03-30-16, 04:50 PM
Inglysh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by co4wheel
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/colo...-build.915214/

Check out my build. We may have the same stuff. If so. It will work great.
So no lights on from removing the electric suspenders? I plan on keeping the bags/factory coils for now... just want/need more suspension control.

I like the sound of what your saying. Thanks!
Old 03-30-16, 04:55 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just pull a couple fuses and then no lights. Easy. Plus you have room for a cell phone cubby in that hole that is left behind.