ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009-218/)
-   -   Buy '03 LX470 or '08 GX470 ? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009/814515-buy-03-lx470-or-08-gx470.html)

hitsofmiss 03-07-16 06:06 AM

Found a '07 GX470

I found 07 GX with 190k miles. Does not have Navigation, Backup Camera, Entertainment System, Bluetooth, Satellite, etc. It appears to be well maintained at Lexus Dealership. I'll be taking it to Lexus for PPI tomorrow just to be sure.

Should High-Miles be a concern even if it was maintained by Lexus?
Is ~$12K a good price?
Is it as reliable as LX?
I'm still so mesmerized by LX's ride quality, color & the timeless look that I don't mind getting an older ('98-'04) 200k-250k LX for the same price range if I can find one. But I don't want to make a foolish decision.

Guys, can you please provide your $.02? :)

Justin727 03-07-16 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by hitsofmiss (Post 9396208)
I found 07 GX with 190k miles. Does not have Navigation, Backup Camera, Entertainment System, Bluetooth, Satellite, etc. It appears to be well maintained at Lexus Dealership. I'll be taking it to Lexus for PPI tomorrow just to be sure.

Should High-Miles be a concern even if it was maintained by Lexus?
Is ~$12K a good price?
Is it as reliable as LX?
I'm still so mesmerized by LX's ride quality, color & the timeless look that I don't mind getting an older ('98-'04) 200k-250k LX for the same price range if I can find one. But I don't want to make a foolish decision.

Guys, can you please provide your $.02? :)

I personally don't mind buying high mileage Toyota's as long as it has service records (dealership ones are a plus)

I would talk them closer to 10k.

The wife and I were talking over the weekend about selling her Loaded GX470 w/ 94k miles just had the timing belt service done along with many other things. Again just kicking the idea around.

hitsofmiss 03-07-16 09:57 AM

Justin,

I just sent you a message.

matmanx1 03-07-16 12:23 PM

Haven't driven an LX but I have driven several GX's and a 99 Land Cruiser recently. The LC definitely rode smoother but the GX was much peppier and had a much nicer interior (03 GX). Either one would be a great choice and I would go with the one that had the best maintenance history in your price range. :thumbup:

180ls1 03-08-16 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by matmanx1 (Post 9396694)
Haven't driven an LX but I have driven several GX's and a 99 Land Cruiser recently. The LC definitely rode smoother but the GX was much peppier and had a much nicer interior (03 GX). Either one would be a great choice and I would go with the one that had the best maintenance history in your price range. :thumbup:

This is good advice. In my experience, you can pick up a GX for less $$$ with less miles compared to a LX or Landcruiser.

co4wheel 03-08-16 07:05 PM

LC is very smooth. No doubt.

hitsofmiss 03-22-16 09:06 PM

Thank you everyone for your comments & suggestions. I ended up buying the 2007 GX with 188,000 miles for $12,200. It does not have ML, GPS, rear entertainment system or backup camera. I know, I paid at least $2000 more but my wife's car (Accord) head gasket blew & I did not have much time to shop around.

If there's any consolation, the car is a single owner, well maintained & all the services were done at Lexus Dealership. He'd spent about $4000 a week back fixing whatever Lexus recommended. The pre-purchase inspection came out clean.& the ride quality is not bad.

I'm thinking of installing at least the backup camera & getting all weather floormat. Any recommendations?

JALinker 05-19-18 07:51 AM

How's the GX been for you? Shopping now, deciding between an LX or a GX... still undecided... lots of pros and cons in both directions for either vehicle...

Morphyne 05-19-18 07:57 AM

Good so far

Mines been great. The LX and GX are a similar that the only two primary differences I can see is size and looks.
​​​​​​the one thing with both is the magnetics shocks tho. Those are rally expensive to replace and I ended up trashing the system and going with bilstein 5100s. A very cheap alternative with very good results

hitsofmiss 05-19-18 11:28 PM

Love it

I just love driving my ‘07 GX 470. Currently at almost 215k & no major issue since I bought it.

I’ve an SC430 & really love the convertible experience. But when I return from work at times I get this strong urge to take the GX for a spin. The ride is so comfortable.

However, having test driven ‘03 LX also, I can definitely recommend you to go for LX. The ride is just amazing, like sitting on a cloud. The only down side is the speed & Gas mileage. But if you can pull it off, you won’t have to harbor a feeling like me that ‘one fine day, I’ll upgrade to that car’, you will be completely satisfied!

JALinker 05-20-18 07:50 AM

Thank, both of you for your responses. I am leaning towards a GX the most, but (having a Trooper currently) that back door is killing me.

I've started seeing GX460s in my price range lately--doesn't it have a 2-piece rear door? I know it still opens "wrong", but doesn't the glass open, too?

chiph9 05-20-18 01:54 PM

Yes, on the 460 the glass opens separately. There's a button in the lower-left corner.

I'd still like to have the two-piece door of the LX on the GX though.

Chip H.