GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Radiator- Timing Belt Kit- changing fluids??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-16, 08:08 AM
ace911
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Radiator- Timing Belt Kit- changing fluids??

Hey all, new owner here. I have been pouring over the site for the last week reading everything I can about the new ride. I have been looking for a GX for the last couple years. Not able to find one with low miles and in my price range. I finally picked one up a grey one last week with 73,000mi, original owner.The truck is fully loaded with the exception of KDSS, got it for 13k. Not bad, thinking it was good for another 100k easy...so I thought.... (and I still think it was a pretty good deal for around LA) So I got the car home and started going through it. Found this site(which is absolutely frikkin awesome btw) and started reading alot.
It appears my truck has the infamous clunk, the side mirrors grind a little and get stuck, and the radiator is developing a leak on the drivers side bottom. No other major maint. done. Everything else, so far, seems to work.
So here is what I'm thinking: Buy the Timing belt kit from Amazon OEM Aisin TKT 001,(Im going to have a local mobil tech come out and do the timing belt kit and radiator.) then a radiator from Carid- Koyorad #2690-$129.00 btw-, I think I will go with factory upper and lower rad hoses, unless aftermarket hoses can be proven superior. New toyota red radiator fluid stuff. Also Im going to dis-assemble the two side mirrors and clean out, maybe wallow out the plastic housing if its binding, and re grease with lithium. For the propeller shaft- I must have read for two hrs on the moly vs mp, vs synthetic grease-and I ended up using synthetic fortified moly on the splined shaft and MP -both valvoline products- on the univ. joints. ( and yes, I pumped those univ. joints till they bled red grease, and nothing else, then spent 10min on each one using a thin rag to "floss" the areas clean-what a mess. :-) ) I pumped the splined shaft with 11-12 pumps and the clunk is about gone. (I think Im going back in and giving it a few more. Im pretty sure it was dry, as the grease that was on the prop shaft was totally gummy and dry.) As far as the tranny and diff fluids go- whats ur folks take on them? I dont have the mileage, but the age of the fluids concern me. Im sure the OG owner didn't offroad and we dont have mud, snow here in Los Angeles. Should I change the diff, transfer case and tranny fluids just to be safe? Seems to me diff gear oil lasts just about forever under light loads. The transfer case? Is it used while in 2wd? Please feel free to chime in here with any other maintenance items that I may have missed. Sorry for such long first post...just figured I would air it all out.....wow I feel better already. ;-)
Old 02-11-16, 08:50 AM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

$13k for 73000 miles is a friggin steal! I paid $17 with 97000 on the odo. Anyway, diff and t-case fluids are easy and I would go ahead and do them. But you are in no rush on that. As car as the transmission there is an exchange procedure that I can post tonight when I am not on my phone. Actually getting ready to do this myself.
Old 02-11-16, 11:03 AM
ace911
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey thanks for the reply. Is that the procedure where you dump 3qts then add 3qts. Hot wire the obd and cycle thru the gears and dump 3 add 3 and so on? Im thinkin I might do that, but drive the truck around instead? I can wait for the exhaust to cool down, no problem. Im kinda leary about jumping out terminals I know nothing about and poss screwing that up. Nevermind that last part...I just read the pdf on jumping out the terminals.Looks pretty simple.

Last edited by ace911; 02-11-16 at 01:19 PM.