GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Suggestions for a smooth ride

Old 01-27-16, 05:10 PM
KLL757
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for a smooth ride

I have a 2004 GX with 172,000 miles on it. I feel every bump, crack, and hole when I drive. Granted Michigan roads are probably the worst that I've ever driven on. I had to have the rear air bags replaced at 130,000 and asked Lexus to see what they recommended for the front. It felt sluggish, squishy. Lexus recommended new struts, absorber actuators, support subassembly, retainer shock absorber, and bracket suspension. I did replace the front struts at 132,000. I don't feel that the strut replacement helped that much. It doesn't matter what mode I am in, it all feels the same, not smooth and not comfortable. There are no leaks in the front or rear struts. I'm getting tired of the uncomfortable ride. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am going to keep the car for my kids to drive. Thanks
Old 01-28-16, 05:32 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Nothing can be done about Michigan roads. Sorry. (or Minnesota, or Wisconsin...)

But you can check the tire pressure - make sure it's at the door-sticker pressure and not the pressure marked on the tire (that's the max ever-ever pressure)

Chip H.
Old 01-30-16, 10:05 AM
KLL757
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Tire pressure is what's on the door sticker.
Old 01-30-16, 10:24 AM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course you can smooth out those Michigan roads. It all depends on how much you want to spend. You GX470 is essentially a fancy Toyota 4runner. And both vehicles have tons of aftermarket options.

With as many miles as you have on the car, I would recommend first, replace the struts, shocks, springs and air bags with an after market setup. Got a lot to spend? Go with Icon, Fox, or King. On a budget? Go with Bilstein and FJ springs.

Also I would recommend replacing all of the bushings and suspension parts like tie rod ends and sway bar links.

Here is a link to the bushing kit. http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/packagedeal119

Here is a link to endless information about everything I just posted.

www.t4r.org

Good luck.
Old 01-30-16, 01:11 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

FWIW, I replaced the rear shocks on mine with Toyota OEM 4 Runner shocks (It still has the rear Lexus air bags, I don't have the aftermarket steel coils) and the front struts I replaced with 4 Runner "quick struts" from Monroe where everything comes as an assembled package. You lose the electronic adjustment feature, but I never used it anyway. Really happy with this package and saved thousands over what a dealership would have charged with OEM parts.

I would say in many cases the GX now drives smoother than my LS430. Very happy with the ride, very much of a luxury SUV. It was a bit firm at first but is mellowed out nicely.

I'm all about a smooth ride, I have zero interest in trying to make a big SUV like this handle like a sports car, so I cringe when people talk about putting things like Bilsteins in there. i want it to ride like a Cadillac and it does with this package.

Last edited by BradTank; 01-30-16 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-30-16, 02:38 PM
Morphyne
Driver

Well the bilsteins are just the most popular option because most people on user forums like to lift the front end a nit to take the rake out. The bilsteins have an adjustable spring seat that allows for this. plus they perform really well for the price. I bought all four of mine for $309 delivered a couple of years ago.

In my opinion if you are going to put in the kind of effort that it take to DIY this job, get something decent for your efforts.
Old 01-31-16, 08:59 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Morphyne
Well the bilsteins are just the most popular option because most people on user forums like to lift the front end a nit to take the rake out. The bilsteins have an adjustable spring seat that allows for this. plus they perform really well for the price. I bought all four of mine for $309 delivered a couple of years ago.

In my opinion if you are going to put in the kind of effort that it take to DIY this job, get something decent for your efforts.
Bilsteins are going to be a much firmer ride, that's why you buy Bilsteins.

If someone is asking for how to get a smoother ride on the pavement, Bilsteins would be about the worst suggestion you can make.

And this is not a very difficult job at all for DIY'er to swap out, especially the rear shocks, it's probably easier than changing your oil.
Old 01-31-16, 09:07 AM
Morphyne
Driver

You are correct. I lost sight of what the OP was looking for. Most people are looking for some sort of offroad capability. not used to seeing people wanting to stay "stock and smooth".

FWIW here's a is a great guide to a DIY on replacing your own shocks.

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3358

Last edited by Morphyne; 01-31-16 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-31-16, 05:42 PM
KLL757
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check prices and then see how what is in my budget.
Old 01-31-16, 11:30 PM
rhyle07
Driver School Candidate

No doubt that Bilstein is really durable and a good shock absorber though it is a bit stiff. I would recommend KYB if you want a smooth ride.
Old 02-02-16, 07:04 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Coulter
Bilsteins are going to be a much firmer ride, that's why you buy Bilsteins.

If someone is asking for how to get a smoother ride on the pavement, Bilsteins would be about the worst suggestion you can make.

And this is not a very difficult job at all for DIY'er to swap out, especially the rear shocks, it's probably easier than changing your oil.
Based on a lot of reading on this forum I bought Bilsteins to replace my front and rear stocks. It seemed the consensus here was that they are the best replacements for stock ride quality. Unfortunately I'm not too impressed with these. As you stated, they are firm and don't have a smooth OEM quality ride that I was expecting. Although, I'm really happy with the stance - no rake effect and seem to sit a little higher than stock. I have 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17" Sequoia wheels.
Old 02-05-16, 10:23 AM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Taller tires will have more sidewall and absorb more shock. So will lowering the air pressure a touch (dont do it to dangerous levels though).
Old 02-20-16, 06:44 AM
Morphyne
Driver

I hope the original poster comes back with a report on what he got and how it rides. My wife needs need shocks and absolutely demands smooth ride.
Old 02-22-16, 07:46 AM
KLL757
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Morphyne
I hope the original poster comes back with a report on what he got and how it rides. My wife needs need shocks and absolutely demands smooth ride.
I haven't had time to do anything yet. I've been too busy.
Old 02-22-16, 08:19 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 180ls1
Taller tires will have more sidewall and absorb more shock. So will lowering the air pressure a touch (dont do it to dangerous levels though).
Depends on what tire. A LT tire will be stiff as hell, regardless of sidewall height. Which is why I specifically chose a P rated tire when I bought my Nitto's. Granted it's a bit more risky off road without the extra sidewall ply's, but I didn't want to give up the nice ride. The single biggest thing that improved my ride was doing a rear coil conversion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suggestions for a smooth ride